Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand in the 70s this probably wasn’t an uncommon first bike but I thought I’d ask the question for a few simple reasons I’ve actually started to consider one. See I’ve already got a ton of parts (inherited from my grandfather) I don’t know exactly what all I have other than fenders, bars, risers, various trim end engine dress kits, and some brake components. I know what these fit only because my grandpa only ever had shovelheads and Ironheads.
Now for some context on exactly why I’m considering this. First I know an old shovelhead isn’t over powered by any stretch and second I’m very mechanically inclined. I’ve actually spotted one in the $4000 range locally that looks like it’s in pretty good shape. What are some pros and cons to these bikes?

by the way I’m pretty mechanically inclined so my mechanical ability wouldn’t be an issue

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
I understand in the 70s this probably wasn’t an uncommon first bike but I thought I’d ask the question for a few simple reasons I’ve actually started to consider one. See I’ve already got a ton of parts (inherited from my grandfather) I don’t know exactly what all I have other than fenders, bars, risers, various trim end engine dress kits, and some brake components. I know what these fit only because my grandpa only ever had shovelheads and Ironheads.
Now for some context on exactly why I’m considering this. First I know an old shovelhead isn’t over powered by any stretch and second I’m very mechanically inclined. I’ve actually spotted one in the $4000 range locally that looks like it’s in pretty good shape. What are some pros and cons to these bikes?

by the way I’m pretty mechanically inclined so my mechanical ability wouldn’t be an issue
Do you want to ride, or are you primarily looking for a project? Any older bike will need work, and an old Shovel probably more than most. There are plenty of bikes, including Harley's in the $4k range that would be a bit less work. That being said, if I had more....ummm...guts, I'd totally buy a Shovel.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
What are some pros and cons to these bikes?
Pros? .. Cool old bike, the girls will like it and you'll get to use your mechanical ability fixing stuff.
Cons? .. It's probably gonna leak oil and you'll have to use your mechanical ability fixing stuff.

S F

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pros? .. Cool old bike, the girls will like it and you'll get to use your mechanical ability fixing stuff.
Cons? .. It's probably gonna leak oil and you'll have to use your mechanical ability fixing stuff.

S F
Sounds like I should go take a look at this one then. I’ve been known to look for an excuse to work on my cars so this could be exactly what I need in my life

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
What bike are you looking at? Post a link... Or at least a picture

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
When First Retired 15+ Years ago might have jumped all over it as done my share of Harley Wrenching .. All I see there now is a Money Pit that don't need at this stage in life .. Although the Sound of a Shovel is without question the sweetest sounding Engine ever made..

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
He wants and extra 500 for the extra parts he has. If I get them with the bike
Good looking machine. Check out those rear shocks.
I can see the kick start peddle in the pic. One of those hurt me and my friend after his dad told us we could ride it if we could start it.
We were probably 13 or so at the time. We stayed at it till we got it started and didn't dare shut it off, bet that thing overheated big time.
I'm not a Harley guy but way back when I worked at a Harley dealership the girls would flag me down asking for a ride when I was out on a test ride.
Girl Magnet, they are. :sneaky:

S F

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good looking machine. Check out those rear shocks.
I can see the kick start peddle in the pic. One of those hurt me and my friend after his dad told us we could ride it if we could start it.
We were probably 13 or so at the time. We stayed at it till we got it started and didn't dare shut it off, bet that thing overheated big time.
I'm not a Harley guy but way back when I worked at a Harley dealership the girls would flag me down asking for a ride when I was out on a test ride.
Girl Magnet, they are. :sneaky:

S F
Lol my grandfather once told me that they had a kit them that said “must use electric start or rider must be very very very heavy.” In a disclaimer. For some reason that made him laugh though I can definitely see how a kick start would hurt someone my ct70 and my drz125 both have them and I’ve caught them at the wrong time and almost hurt myself on them

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When First Retired 15+ Years ago might have jumped all over it as done my share of Harley Wrenching .. All I see there now is a Money Pit that don't need at this stage in life .. Although the Sound of a Shovel is without question the sweetest sounding Engine ever made..
That’s the interesting thing I’m pretty used to money pits. I dumped $10,000 into a gmc envoy a few years ago just to keep going back and forth to work before god had the good graces to make it -2 out and the water that I knew was in the transmission finally froze that finally convinced me to get rid of it and get something better. Hence why I’m only looking for a bike now rather than a few years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts