Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A) Electronic Self-cancelling turn signals, based on lean angle and/or timer

B) At least ONE universal mounting point (Techmount or RAM ball...) for cellphone, GPS, radar, GoPro whatever

C) A battery tender SAE cord factory installed

D) At least ONE cigarette lighter plug or USB charging port

E) Hooks for attaching bungee cords / cargo net

F) Electric reverse on any bike over #400

G) Headlight / brake light modulator ON/OFF switch and capability

H) ___________________________

I'm not one for the Government to tell companies what to do, EXCEPT in areas like safety. It's utterly stupid in today's era of electronics for ALL bike turn signals not to self-cancel. It's like having carburetors instead of FI.

Obviously, not all these suggestions apply to dirt bikes, etc.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You forgot cruise control. Goldwings already have most of your list. As well as electric windshield, and believe it or not, air bag.
How about the new anti collision technology that we now see in cars.
I'm sure the manufactures will continue to add junk to their bikes, reality is many riders just want to ride without all the extras.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Same as my response to a previous thread roughly on the same issue. I view many of the "new safety" changes as items which take away the skills or at least the perception of the need for the skills to safely operate any vehicle. Collision avoidance = why do I need to pay attention, my vehicle will warn me. Lane change alert = why do I have to pay attention, my vehicle will warn me if I drift. etc. etc.
Sure, some of the things you mentioned might be cool but I don't need or want them, that's why they are "options".
Give the nanny state an inch and you won't be able to ride a mile. Life ain't safe, never has been, never will be. If you don't want to manage the risk then don't leave the house.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
...As well as electric windshield, ...
I absolutely love the electric windshield on my Concours14.

It' s like owning two different bikes. Short ride or hot day, stuck in traffic, put the windshield all the way down and enjoy all the breeze I can get.

Making time out on the highway at 75mph, put it up, gets rid of all the buffeting and noise, can actually hear myself think, I absolutely love it. Reduces fatigue.

And since riders are different heights, a power windshield lets EVERYONE put it at their sweet spot --- where you're looking just over the top of it.

I absolutely cannot ride my buddies Heritage Softtail with a windshield that's 2" too short (for me) at highway speeds. The buffeting shakes my eyeglasses to where I can't even see. I end up crouching down behind his windshield in an EXTREMELY uncomfortable position, unable to see the mirrors, etc. I can do it for about 5 miles before saying "Engough! Gimme back MY bike!"

I first saw power windshields on the BigBootieBurgman650, a.k.a, Kardashiman650, and when a beautiful used Concours came along and I saw it ALSO had the power windshield, it was the deciding factor for me. Not that the bike doesn't have a million other great features, like the 11,000 rpm heart of a Ninja, but...

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I'm all for bungee hooks.

The rest is stuff that is not needed for the enjoyment of riding. If someone wants to add that stuff as it is now, fine, it's their bike.

I won't have antilock or linked brakes either, I don't want to rely on anything safety related to a brain other than the one on my shoulders.

KISS

·
Registered
141 Posts
I really like options A, C, E, and F. I think those would come in really handy. Option D would be nice as well.

I was actually quite surprised to find that most bikes don't have turn signals that turn off automatically. In fact, I didn't even know there were any. I suppose I am used to shutting them off, but an auto off would be nice.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
everything you mentioned adding to a bike, just adds to the price...my bike came with the self cancelling signals, a backrest and luggage rack (for bungee/net tie downs...but also has saddle bags) and I can roll my 700# bike backwards as needed, it is on wheels you know....and you can always make sure not to park front end downhill if you know you have to back up to leave....the rest...I don't need or want so why add the price?

oh yeah, I bought a battery tender for my first bike and just moved it to this bike, that was a whole $25.00....

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
i think having cigarette lighters are a bad idea because i would distract the rider
I'm pretty sure he means using them as a power point...there are several things you can plug into a cigarette lighter for power...such as cell phone chargers, GPS systems (some don't have the necessary wiring to hook straight into the bike wiring) not for using them to light cigarettes...I use my Zippo for that when riding :biggrin:

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I don't think turn signals need a lean angle detector to shut then off.

Just make them shut off after 10 seconds. Who needs a turn signal lasting more than 10 seconds?

·
Registered
388 Posts

Just make them shut off after 10 seconds. Who needs a turn signal lasting more than 10 seconds?
I could live with that. My biggest issue with auto cancel is how long some of them stay on after the turn, signal's could still be on coming up to the next intersection but the 10 sec cancel would work.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
There are still bikes offered out there that don't have self-cancelling turn signals? Seriously?

I can see a dirt bike or scooter or something, but not a road legal bike.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Harleys brand new Street 500 and 750 do not have self canceling signals.
Our Chapter President just bought a HD Street Bob. He rode it over to my house, to meet up for a Chapter ride we took yesterday morning.

First thing he did, after he signed the papers, was change out the handlebars for hangers; changed out the rear-view mirrors, and added a bunch of permanent Chapter logo and iconic symbol banners on various locations on the bike. The front Signal lights are now located directly in front of the hand grips. (Matte black finish to the majority of the bike, except where chrome should be). Changed out the pipes.

I dunno ........maybe it's just "me," but I like the idea of buying a bike that satisfies me "as is" from the get-go. If I have to "mod" it out to start with, in any significant way, makes me believe I should be looking at another bike.

As for the list in the OP: if I was going to do a lot of traveling, covering a ton of miles, I suppose it makes sense to "mod" out the bike with all that stuff. Otherwise, no.

-Soupy

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Its refreshing to see the manufacturer's coming out with more reasonably priced motorcycles again. Until recently, the cost of the average new motorcycle has priced many people out of the sport. I can see getting all the bells and whistles on the higher end models. Just skip the "farkels" on the mid and lower cost models. ;)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ya, my bike didn't come with the auto-cancel signals. It is so easy to forget to turn them off, but I've been making to a real effort to hit the button every so often to make sure....My bike didn't have all the bells and whistles as most of the bikes had, but it also had a much better looking price tag.....

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
Return on investment. More standard stuff means the price of the standard version goes up. Keep it cheap by keeping stuff off of it. The accessories we want are often offered at additional cost.

I just bought a brand new 2012 Honda ST1300 and the first thing I did was to add an aftermarket backrest and expanded luggage rack off the back. At the first service I had the dealer install Honda's power point and an aftermarket battery tender lead. This allows me to run my phone off the bike and leave all the GPS and Bluetooth functions active. I don't have a mount because I don't see the value in having another thing to look down at and try to operate at speed.

Of the immediate upgrades only one is an "official" Honda part. The question for a manufacturer is pretty simple:

Is an upgrade cheap enough to make AND/OR to make standard? Standard meaning the base model's cost climbs...

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts

If you are sitting at a stop light, it's better to have ones that stay on until you complete the turn.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts