Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I won't pull off on a shoulder anymore unless I absolutely have to.

The ones I've stopped on lately have been minefields of deck screws, nails, and other tire-destroying debris. (including I-40...)

My first --and only, so far --- flat on my Connie came less than a mile after I'd pulled onto the shoulder and stopped...

A friend pulled over the other day to lubricate a tree. As I waited I picked up three screws on the shoulder directly ahead of our bikes -- one deck, and two sheet metal...

Instead of sweeping them, magnetically or otherwise, the states now seem to just ignore shoulder maintenance, with highway workers picking up only the larger pieces of tire carcasses.

Has anyone else "given up" on using the shoulders?

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
About a week ago I picked up a bolt in my car tire pulling off to answer a text. I guess I'll wait for a parking lot from now on.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I usually look for a parking lot, side street, driveway, or some other such to stop and do things. I generally only stop on the shoulders if it's a long wide open road and there's no other choice. I'm usually more wary of being hit by a vehicle then of running over metal trash.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
^^^That is so true! I don't pull over on the shoulder unless it's absolutely the only thing I can do. I will find a driveway, off ramp, parking lot or anything if at all possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts