Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got my new leftover 2018 CBR1KRR almost 5 months ago I have only 350 miles on the odometer because of a new job and my HOA giving me a hard time so I keep it in a nearby storage facility. Here in hot south florida this is riding season but lately I barely touch it once every couple of weeks or so. I am wondering if I am better off getting a battery tender or a trickle charger? Whats the difference and how do they work? And where on the bike do I hook it up to since I have no idea where the battery is?

·
Zip
2,606 Posts
A battery maintainer is your better choice as it won't kill your battery by overcharging it. Most of them come with a connector on the end of the cord called an SAE connector, and also a piece of wire with a matching connector at one end and ring lugs at the other end. Connect the ring lugs directly to the battery and leave the SAE end somewhere on the bike that's easy to get to. Then you can easily connect and disconnect the maintainer whenever you need to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A battery maintainer is your better choice as it won't kill your battery by overcharging it. Most of them come with a connector on the end of the cord called an SAE connector, and also a piece of wire with a matching connector at one end and ring lugs at the other end. Connect the ring lugs directly to the battery and leave the SAE end somewhere on the bike that's easy to get to. Then you can easily connect and disconnect the maintainer whenever you need to.
I went to Revzilla and couldnt see the difference between a charger and maintainer

·
On The Road Again!
4,341 Posts
A maintainer is also called a battery tender.
And the best is made by Deltran.
Get yourself a Deltran Battery Tender Jr.
It's around $25 and worth every penny.
Don't try to save $$ by getting a cheap one from a place
like Harbor Freight. A friend had one of those go bad
and destroy the battery.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Whats the difference and how do they work?
A tender/maintainer will charge the battery at a low rate, and detect when the battery is full, shutting off the charge until it detects the battery has self-discharged to the point in needs a pump up. A trickle charger also charges at a low rate, but doesn't shut off; the steady low current will slowly boil the water out of the battery.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
Few Look at other Advantages of just having a Harness for a Battery Tender besides just maintaining your Battery .. I have been using a Deltran Battery Tender Jr for 15+ Years with Great Results .. Besides it Keeping your Battery at Peak Voltage for that First Crank after sitting, you can also hook a Voltmeter to the Tender Harness and check Voltage drop when cranking and your Voltage after Starting to monitor your Charging Volts without having to pull the Seat, Side Cover or whatever has to be removed to access your Battery .. Another simple way to warn you your battery is on it's way out is how long it takes to get to fully charged usually a steady green light although some may be a bit different in showing Charged Status .. For around $25.00 A Tender Jr. is cheap insurance for what it does ..

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Whats the difference and how do they work?
I went to Revzilla and couldnt see the difference between a charger and maintainer
You got the suggestions above but not sure you got the answer to the question you asked.

• A tricker charger, charges a battery continuously, never shutting off even when the battery has reached full charge. It then begins overcharging an otherwise good battery until it boils the acid out creating a bad battery. At 1 or 2 amps.
  • A battery tender is a brand name if capitalized Battery Tender. The junior or Jr. part is one model that maintains a battery at full charge while continuously connected using circuitry to shut off at full charge then sense when less than full charge and turn back on to maintain full charge. I believe at .75amps to 1.5 amps some to 5amps depending on model and brand.

I believe I have that right and someone will correct me if wrong. But what you as stated in previous posts is a battery maintainer regardless of brand.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm down to having only two bikes. I like to alternate riding them. Sometimes however, because of the ride or maybe the destination I find myself riding one more than the other. Sometimes that others sits for 2-3 weeks (one winter it set for a month). I also keep my bikes at a storage facility which has no water or electrical supply, so obviously I don't use a tender. I have never had a problem with starting and my batteries have always had a normal life span. I'm certainly not suggesting you not buy a Tender Jr., just saying that as often as you ride, you may not need to use one, provided when you do ride it is long enough to build the battery back to full charge..

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
If your bike has an AGM battery, it is very likely to last months without enough self-discharge to drain the battery. Typical wet, or flooded, batteries often have higher self-discharge, and can make a bike hard to start, especially in cold weather. My Valkyrie came with AGM, and I put one in my old CB450, and the Battery Tender has little to do over winter.:love:

·
On The Road Again!
4,341 Posts
I also keep my bikes at a storage facility which has no water or electrical supply, so obviously I don't use a tender.
Does that storage unit have a light inside?
If it does, there is power there. Believe me, if it were MY storage unit, I'd tap into the light
circuit to run my battery tender.
What's that you say? The light shuts off when you close the door?
I'd be looking for the switch in a heart beat and bypass it so that my tender
kept running with the door closed!
There is no black magic to electricity. It's easy to figure out.

·
Zip
2,606 Posts
If it does, there is power there. Believe me, if it were MY storage unit, I'd tap into the light
Not wanting to step on your toes, Offcenter, but working on a live 120V circuit requires some experience. It's not for beginners. And if you're talking about bypassing a door switch, one side of that switch will be live. To anybody reading this: if you don't have experience with electrical wiring, get help from a friend who does.

·
On The Road Again!
4,341 Posts
LOL!! I do handyman work for a living. Often when I start to replace a light switch or electric outlet, the
customer will say to me, "Aren't you going to turn off the power first?".
I look at them very seriously and say, "ANYBODY can do it with the power turned off!"
They usually go away and leave me alone at that point. LOL!!!!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Thank You for your reply and suggestion, I did get a laugh. It just happens I was born on Monday, but not this Monday.

The storage unit I rent has NO electric, nor do any of the other units at this facility. Now I do have some electrical devices. I have a tire pump that runs on an 18v lithium battery, very handy (Thank You Ryobi). I have a shop light, it runs on a different 18v lithium battery, very handy (Thank You Ryobi). I suppose I could put a bank of deep cell batteries and some electronics to convert the DC to AC to run an inexpensive AC Tender, but as I have already stated, I have never needed a battery Tender for my motorcycles. Nonetheless, I appreciate your concern!

BTW: Jersey has hills! (just teasing)

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
You could run wiring from a solar unit you placed on the roof to power a tender. They make small ones for just this purpose or if you are camping in remote places. Very handy.

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
The battery in my tractor is kept charged with a 50 watt solar panel and a 20 amp maximum regulator. It is an older regulator, and I am sure newer ones are more high tech. Like the one in my boat. A 20 watt solar panel should be enough for a bike battery.1.38 amps versus my 3.45, both at 14.5 volts.

UK

·
Registered
996 Posts
You could run wiring from a solar unit you placed on the roof to power a tender. They make small ones for just this purpose or if you are camping in remote places. Very handy.
If you own the shed, but when you rent most likely the owner wouldn't appreciate it. Maybe, maybe not.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
If you own the shed, but when you rent most likely the owner wouldn't appreciate it. Maybe, maybe not.
If they notice. On the back side if a pitched roof would be hard to see from most offices or ground level. Although I think I would ask first. A couple of welders magnets would make for no holes drilled and nearly be the perfect angle considering the slop of most roofs on storage units if they want to keep snow off. Or if flat add a couple more flat to get the desired angle. Where there's a will there is a way.

·
Registered
996 Posts
If they notice. On the back side if a pitched roof would be hard to see from most offices or ground level. Although I think I would ask first. A couple of welders magnets would make for no holes drilled and nearly be the perfect angle considering the slop of most roofs on storage units if they want to keep snow off. Or if flat add a couple more flat to get the desired angle. Where there's a will there is a way.
I would never install, even temporary (other than in a life saving capacity), anything on another mans property without his explicit permission. I'm glade that you included, "Although I think I would ask first". I quite familiar with solar systems, I live off grid. But perhaps your suggestion would be of value to others.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts