Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little Honda car 125 cc, I need it serviced for the end of season here but thing is I want to learn how to service myself. Is it a bad idea for me to buy a shop manual and hop right in and I should take the bike to a shop, or could an absolute beginner make do on his own with the Internet and manual his only guide without destroying the bike?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
End of year service is generally simple. Things like the oil change and stabilizing the fuel can be done by most mechanical beginners.

Just don't force anything enough to break it!

·
Ace Tuner
2,912 Posts
^^^^What Dodsfall said^^^^
Also, verify any "how to" stuff you find on the net.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Here is a good place to start. http://www.dansmc.com/winterize.htm

If you live in a place where you cannot buy gasoline that does not contain ethanol, go to a marina and buy it there. You could also buy this.
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils--lubricants-and-fuels/premixed-fuel/motomix/ Even though it is 2 cycle premix, no way is it gonna hurt to have a little oil in your gas.

Due to the expense of the Stihl premix, what I do is remove the fuel tank and run the bike until it runs out of gas.Drain out all the fuel and burn it in your car. Then spray the tank with penetrating oil to store it for the winter. An alternative is to drain the float bowl then use a small slave tank to run the bike for five minutes or so to put the Stihl fuel into the carbs at full strength. Ethanol fuel [or the moisture it attracts] will etch the aluminum innards of a carb if left there for a length of time. One bike that I rescued actually had a perforation of the bowl due to the stuff.

A BMW dealer in Columbus once furnished a bike for a contest prize that was hung from the ceiling in a business establishment. That bike was drained of all gas and oil due to fire regulations. The service department took the bike down and added fresh gas and oil for the lucky winner and the bike would not start. The guy who worked on it told me that the carbs were horrible with dry white powder deposits and it took some considerable effort to clean them.Some guys would say to just use fuel stabilizer in the ethanol fuel and leave it at that, but it is not all that difficult to go one step further.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It means make the engine turn. This is usually done by hand or with the starter depending on what you are trying to accomplish at the time.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mechaniking is not recommened to beginners with no shop experience. changing the oil, filters, simple tasks like adjusting idle, or learning to use a tool is ok, but follow all the instructions for the tool. hints like, don't ever grip the wrench, hold it firmly. and never use parts someone tells you "is different but will work". and always... get the right repair manual, if you can't get the right manual, you can make mistakes that are harmful to your machine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I know this isn't chemistry, but I want to be sure. I add stabilizer then run bike for around 15 minutes so itgoes through the carbs, then I empty the tank and add ethanol free fuel mixed with stabilizer, as full as it can go?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
So I know this isn't chemistry, but I want to be sure. I add stabilizer then run bike for around 15 minutes so itgoes through the carbs, then I empty the tank and add ethanol free fuel mixed with stabilizer, as full as it can go?
That's a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Add stabilizer per label, then ride to the gas station and top off the tank. By the time you get home, the carbs should have stabilized fuel in them.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I just turn my petcock off and let the bike run until the carbs run out of gas. Makes me feel better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts