Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 19 year old male college student. I will be paying for my college after I graduate, I currently own a car but my parents pay for it since I pay for my college. I have really wanted to own a bike for years. I would own a Kawasaki ninja 250r since I have not rode a bike before. My question is would it be a good idea for me to own a bike now?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
you gotta' ride that bike like "your first accident will be your last". If you think you can do that ... and you can pay for the bike ... get the bike.

I rode a motorcycle for several years thru college. Had a great time. I really loved that bike. It was an ol Kawasaki 500. Great fun. But every day when I started the engine ... I always said to myself - you're first accident on this bike will be your last.

Do you tend to have accidents in cars?
Do you have drunk driving convictions?
When you are doing something that requires attention - do you focus well?
Are you pretty level-headed ... would your friends agree with this assessment?

Think about these questions.
No need to tel us the answer - just be honest with yourself.

good luck,
dT

·
Registered
3 Posts
It all depends on your financial situation and how much time you plan on spending on the bike. If your looking for something to commute to and from campus you cannot beat a scooter, some have storage under the seats and are very fun and easy to ride. Vespa and other companies even make some bigger cc models that are pretty quick!

I have a Vespa LX150 and it would make a perfect first motorcycle and a lot more comfortable to ride than a Ninja 250!

Hope this Helps!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not a good idea. Stick with the car and the studies for now. When you are out of school, working, and have money left over after paying your bills and living expenses, sign up, take, and complete a motorcycle safety course. Only then should you get a bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am an avid rider who rides as often as I can. I ride to work, I run errands, ride to appointments, sometimes I ride just for the fun of riding without having to go someplace. I have friends and neighbors that have been asking me about riding lately. The price of gas is really putting the pinch on a lot of people and they are asking me about my fuel mileage and what it's like to ride. They think that they can save a lot of money by riding instead of driving their cages. I'll be the first to agree that bikes get great fuel mileage. Even my big half ton touring behemoth gets 48mpg. However, after you've bought the bike, registration, inspection, insurance, riding gear, paid for routine maintenance, and yes the gas the bike burns you will not save any money at all. In fact, you will end up spending more money by keeping two vehicles on the road. So if you want a bike to save money forget it because your not going to. However, if you want a bike to ride, then get a bike. Just be smart, take the safety class, don't be cheap with your safety gear, and go into it knowing that it's a very expensive sport.

·
Registered
22 Posts
non of us can tell how your budget is each month. so it really is up to you.
about the bike: i have the Ninja 250r as well, i think it is a great beginner bike. i have had my first accident on it, and i hope the experience of the crash will make me less likely to crash again. i have had it for 1½ year now, and i am hoping to be able to move on to a bigger bike next year.
i have gotten the experience i was looking for in me ninja 250r, it has teached me allot. ^^

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it'd be a good idea to go with a 250 ninja for your first bike especially if you like sport bikes. Baby steps are always good, but you can go like me and straight up dive into a 750.... honestly though, I can't imagine myself riding anything smaller. a 600 MAYBE. I'm not saying go get a big bike, I'm saying you may want to get a bigger bike right away, just a warning so you can't say nobody didn't say anything.

Now, with that being said, I really do believe a 250 is a very good beginner bike. I think you should go for it, ONLY after you take a motorcycle safety class to EARN your motorcycle license. it's easy, informative, and they give you a chance to ride motorcycles before you take the plunge into purchasing one. Trust me man, before anything else, and any more thinking about buying your bike, take the safety course first. well worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, I got into riding at 16, and started out on an '09 Kawasaki ninja 500r. It was a great bike, got 60 MPG and was an awesome little bike. I think if you are going to get a motorcycle, go for it, and maybe consider a 500 instead of a 250. It is just as easy to learn on, just as cheap, and you wont get tired of it as fast as you would on a 250. Only go for it if you know you can make it though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts