Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 91 Katana 750 on a local classifieds for $300. In the pictures, it looks like it's in decent shape (I'll save and post them in a bit). The fairings are off, along with the carb and a few other bits. I called the owner and she told me that she bought it a year ago in the exact condition it sits in today and just hasn't had the time to work on it. She said it needs a carb cleaning (K+L kits would be ~$60-70), a new battery ($70-100), a new alternator (not sure if she means magneto or stator or whatever but she said she has it), and it needs new ignition coil wires (~$40 each for 2 from what I saw?).

This doesn't sound like too much work to me, and would be my first project bike (had an 85 maxim 700 and currently ride an 01 intruder 1400 but neither needed anything major). She's asking $300, then it looks like $200 in parts, we'll say another $100 maybe in parts (gonna do all the oils and lubing of course), so that would be $600 total for a 91 katana 750! I could flip it for at least $1-1.5k right? And have some fun on it while I have it ;)

I am also tempted to leave the fairings off, swap the headlight, and make it into a streetfighter/café style bike.

I need opinions on if this seems like a good idea. My granddad will be paying for it so I can get some experience and make some money (split profit 50/50).

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
$300 leaves you a lot of room for parts if needed. Can you part it out and sell what's there to get your $300 back if it really goes south on you?

Expect to put a lot into this bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that too (parting it out), I thought that was another good reason to get it. The seat, wheels, and fairings should go for more than she's asking right? (If they're as good as they look)

What do you mean expect to put a lot into it? Money or work or both?

Can't get the pics to work on my phone so I'll do it on my computer later

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I buy a lot of $300 bikes and make them roadworthy - I usually put about $1000 into each to get it going.. not always, but usually. Tires add up, carb kits, oil change, various things like filters and cables if needed, brake pads, etc. It happens.

Post some pictures when you can - I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It won't let me link or post pictures because I only have 7 posts. I uploaded them to Imgur, if you go there and search user:jonnyp11 then go to submitted images, it's the only thing there

Didn't see the scratches when i looked at them on my phone, but it still doesn't look like it's been dropped to me (could be wrong).

It hasn't moved since the carbs are off, and those tires look like they have decent tread left on them, so that's a plus. And she said it has been polished, and those rims look pretty clean, so that's another plus.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Jonny... I work for a living in a shop that repairs motorcycles, but we are also the largest supplier of used parts for motorcycles in the state of Hawaii... That said, I would suggest you walk away from this Katana... Find another bike to wrench on. Reason being, the '91 Katana is too old. It isn't exactly a collectors bike, nor is it outstanding in it's field. I think it will be a constant source of trouble for you...

You'll spend $300 to buy it, then about $2500 in parts to fix it up, but when all is said and done, the end result is worth like maybe $900... Walk away Jonny.... IMHO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm about to go look at it, all I've told them is im interested and want to see the bike. I forgot to ask if there's anything else I should look at on the bike. The carbs are off so I know it won't start, which leaves the engine and transmission as a big question, although she said if you connect a battery she spins no problem.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
It isn't exactly a collectors bike, nor is it outstanding in it's field.
That is very true, and a good point! You could spend $300 on something more collectable or interesting.

When you look at it, remember there are always other bikes out there. Don't be afraid to walk away.

Edit: Great link, Dods. That was actually really interesting!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
forgot to post back on here, if anyone cares. Bought it and sold it the next day for $450, so i made $150 in a few hours.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ha, wow! That's not a bad thing!

Thanks for letting us know.

·
American Legion Rider
21,771 Posts
forgot to post back on here, if anyone cares. Bought it and sold it the next day for $450, so i made $150 in a few hours.
Well I know not to buy anything from you. What a mark up.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I don't know about this, but I heard that the Katana model was a great bike and that If I ever had a chance to get my hands on one, to do it.
It is supposed to be a great ride, a great piece to repair, I don't know.
If it is anything like the 90's bikes I have heard about, plan to spend a lot of time at the shop talking with and buying things from, the mechanic there. Supposed to be a racer. Supposed to turn heads. Also suppposed to empty your pocket book... its your deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before I even bought it I found an ad on Craigslist looking for similar bikes, guy said he'd buy it if I got it and brought it to him. He used to have a shop or something and just buys and restores suzukis now, so he's got a ton of parts and the knowledge to restore it for less than I could, he'll probably have less than 1000 in it when he's done and sell it for 1300-1500.

I still want a project bike to play with, but I think it'd be smarter to start on something with fewer electronics and cylinders, just simpler.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you are just starting out, a single or twin will be much less complicated to fix up.
I'm very glad I didn't get into anything too complex for a bike that would get back into things. An '81 SR250 that didn't need too much was perfect. I certainly could have bitten off more to chew but the investment level was just right. Only a few more posts and I can show it off :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts