Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

My Honda CB500S parked on the street next to the house steering/ignition lock has been attacked several times. I want to move it into a walled side entrance that can be locked, but the handlebars are too wide. Anybody know the effects on the handling from lobbing off about an inch from each end of the bars?

· Visionary
5,650 Posts
Hi guys.

My Honda CB500S parked on the street next to the house steering/ignition lock has been attacked several times. I want to move it into a walled side entrance that can be locked, but the handlebars are too wide. Anybody know the effects on the handling from lobbing off about an inch from each end of the bars?

I doubt you even notice. Just a guess though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@mike721. Thanks for answering, mike721. I got to thinking the whole matter must be very complex because of the associated matter of weights inside the handlebars. When I had a BSA 250 in my youth, I never heard of such complexities. Dare I ask, could the handlebar weights thing be just a ploy to bump up sales of parts? I don't want to find out the facts the hard way.

· Tarheel
2018 Triumph Street Triple 765R
2,100 Posts
[MENTION=118762]... Dare I ask, could the handlebar weights thing be just a ploy to bump up sales of parts? I don't want to find out the facts the hard way.
Bar weights are important. Don't leave them off. They dampen handlebar vibration and help prevent speed wobbles.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, slick nick. Yes, I think there will be many things needing to be checked. For example, the mirror stems rotate on the handle bars, but the fairing is a fixture on the frame. The mirror stems must not come up against the fairing and obstruct the steering. What is your instinct about shortening the handle bars, given that they are a vital component in keeping control of the bike? I am returning to motobiking after 22 years absence. I need to hear from bikers who can think things through. Again, thank you.

· Visionary
5,650 Posts
Don't leave off the weights, they keep the bars from vibrating. That you would notice!

· Visionary
5,650 Posts
That's a good point, it's less work too, and handlebars are generally cheap and easy to change.

Might be better off just getting a set of Bars that have less length between them .. Lots of Choices out there ..

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody. I did think the best thing would be to modify the original bars to minimise any adverse effects, but having read all your answers, I feel reassured that I don't need to be so precious about making this particular change. Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.