Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago when I was an MSF Instructor, a fellow Instructor that used to teach with me would ask anyone that rides what seemed like an odd question. He would introduce himself and then ask, "do you like long rides or short rides?", and add, "I prefer short rides". At the time it seemed strange since my focus was always on the next big, long motorcycle trip that I was looking forward to. But a lot of years have passed since then, and now I find that I too seem to prefer short rides. Just this past week, on a few absolutely perfect riding days, I made two different kinds of rides. The first was solo, and lasted about 5 hours. I covered about 275 miles and while I thoroughly enjoyed myself, I must admit that the last hour or so I just wanted the ride to be over. I was really tired. Then yesterday, with my wife as passenger, we took a nice 58 mile, just over one hour ride to a favorite lunch spot. We enjoyed a leisurely lunch and then made the just over an hour ride home. Thinking about the two rides, I must admit that the "short" ride was the more pleasurable. Maybe its just a sign of my age, but I guess I have become a "short ride" rider. Riding until I am worn out just doesn't seem as much fun as it used to be.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I know that I prefer "short" rides but that definition is highly dependent on what type of bike you ride. Earlier this week, I rode with a friend about an hour (one way) on some very twisty roads and I was definitely pushing my limit (in a good way!) to keep up with him. The ride back was still fun but by the end I was ready for it to be over as my posterior was feeling every little bump and my knees were getting stiff. If I had been on a naked or sports tourer, I have no doubt that I'd have been more comfortable and ready for a longer "short" ride...

Reactions: Porky

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
Vito, maybe now you know why so many seemingly new Harley's are parked in front of a Bar/ cafe: It was their short ride to have a LITTLE fun, with their significant other or even solo, have a few and a nice lunch with other's and then ride the short distance home. As we are constantly told, HD rider's are old and feeble with one foot in the grave and can't ride any distance at all or they themselves will break down as their Harley will undoubtedly do also:wink2: (Inferred if not said outright) :crying:

For the last 3 years or so, most of my weekly rides have been between 150 to 200 miles, solely for the purpose of nourishment!:smile_big: Well, I do enjoy the ride in the cool of early morning and returning EARLY afternoon before the Temps and the humidity rises.:smile:

Better than nutin' right:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
When I go up Island, it would be a short ride of about ten miles.
When I am on the mainland, it would be a medium ride of about 50 miles.
When I go to WA for the bikes races, it would be a long ride of about 200 miles.
If I ever visit Graceshreader on a bike, it would be a really long ride of ??? miles. All one way.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Either age or pain is causing me to really have to work to make long rides. And that distance in miles just keeps getting shorter. I too preferred the long ride and I absolutely hate to admit I'm having trouble doing what was so easily done just 10 years ago. And back then it was the ride that relieved my pain. That just isn't working anymore. Yesterday was a beautiful day and I was just wanting to get home after about 50 miles. My back was killing me. So after 136 I was totally shot. Riding is work whether you want to believe it or not. I've said before that I actually lose weight riding. I'm seriously considering stopping all together. It is simply becoming too painful and that is removing the fun factor. I'm currently looking for a kidney belt or back brace that might help. Going 3 wheels won't change a thing. But if I can't find something to help, I think my days of riding more that 50 miles is quickly coming to an end. Yet my wife is still raring to go.:surprise: So I got to find something to help stabilize my back. The best doctors in Dallas won't even touch my back until I hit the ground. Then they tell me I have a 20% chance of walking again. That's how bad it is.:crying: Oh there are a few young hotshots that claim they can fix it until I ask them if they would let someone do it to them. Suddenly there's a change in their prognosis.:nerd:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think I’ve always liked longer rides… Even back when I was far younger I’d ride my P11 across a few states just for the fun of it – only had a bit over 2-gal which was okay since it rode like a buckboard; lots of gas stops but at one time or another I’ve ridden it form Washing to Florida… and a lot of spots in between. My last two bike were cruiser types, but both were wonderfully comfortable for the long haul… For those who thrive on the “camaraderie of the open road,” or whatever it’s called, the downside of this type of riding is you’ll do most of it in the dark and by yourself – getting schedules, objectives and temperaments to mesh on long hauls can be a challenge (I inevitably use the iron butt motel, which usually is a bit too primitive for most), but I do enjoy a nice long ride and was just thinking this morning on where I could meander once I get these old bones accustomed to my new-to-me ride…

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Yesterday I went out for a ride. All of my riding so far this year has just been going out for an hour or so before heading home. Well yesterday when I woke up, saw the sun shinning, I just told myself I'm going riding today. I rode about 6 hours and oh I was sore. I was riding the Harley Super Glide with the factory seat, I hope I can ride longer on the Yamaha RSTD with the Mustang seat.
I enjoy my short rides in the local area, I hope I can still do the longer rides and see more of the sites in this country.

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
Yesterday I went out for a ride. All of my riding so far this year has just been going out for an hour or so before heading home. Well yesterday when I woke up, saw the sun shinning, I just told myself I'm going riding today. I rode about 6 hours and oh I was sore. I was riding the Harley Super Glide with the factory seat, I hope I can ride longer on the Yamaha RSTD with the Mustang seat.
I enjoy my short rides in the local area, I hope I can still do the longer rides and see more of the sites in this country.
If you are getting sore, you bought the wrong bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most of my riding has been a whopping 9 miles to work. My longest at about 80 miles each way. Friday I plan to ride 368 miles to see my dad for Father's Day. I'm a bit nervous, but excited at the same time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I rode about 6 hours and oh I was sore... I hope I can still do the longer rides and see more of the sites in this country.
I’m gunna pick just a bit at offcenter’s comment – not that I think it’s wrong, just not quite that cut and dried… For me it usually takes time for me to get the ergonomics right on a new to me bike; but (IMO), ultimately an experienced rider should be able to comfortably ride their bike for as long as they can keep their eyes open – assuming normal health, no medical malaise, yadda, yadda… At least for me, hand position was the least troublesome – just needed a throttle lock (or whatever your poison is… cruise control for the high-rollers), so you can rest your throttle hand from time to time – or one-hand it for a bit on long open stretches… Feet position is next – generally here I try to make sure I have feet positions so I can move my feet around easily (used auxiliary foot-pegs – not Easy-Rider style, but so I can stretch my legs as the miles climb; geriatric knees dontchaknow… then the saddle; if it is still a seat then it may not be made for the long haul… both my last two bikes had the saddle redone to my specs (height, weight, inseam and preferred riding position) and between the two bikes I put around 170K miles on them… always comfortable. You don’t necessarily have to go with a custom saddle – the trick is a saddle that fits your butt – solid support and no hotspots. Then windshield – I’ve gotten to the age when I don’t appreciate having to fight all the wind – but windshields (like the rest of the ergos) need to fit the rider – if you have a forward leaning sitting position, you probably don’t want a tall windshield, just enough for protection but still allowing you to cushion into the wind, Cruisers – different, etc. – I like short and wide, I can see over it but yet it throws rain to the sides (makes a big different).

Anyway, taking the time to fit the bike to the rider pays big dividends out on the long pavement. Although I have my preferences, I don’t get too wrapped around the axle when it comes to brand-names – the key is does it fit (like your old, favorite pair of levis – then it is right) and is it durable enough to trust on a rainy ride at 3:00AM.

-- Larry

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Oh I don't think I've bought the wrong bike, this was just my first ride of any distance/duration on it. It may be the wrong seat for my old hindquarters, but I don't think its the wrong bike. This ride was a "just get to know you" ride. Its also my short distance "around town" bike. The Yamaha is what I'll ride when I start crossing states.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Well I can comfortably say without a doubt, that my long rides at my current age used to be my short rides when I started 50 years +- years ago.

Reactions: dcstrng

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,925 Posts
Oh I don't think I've bought the wrong bike, this was just my first ride of any distance/duration on it. It may be the wrong seat for my old hindquarters, but I don't think its the wrong bike. This ride was a "just get to know you" ride. Its also my short distance "around town" bike. The Yamaha is what I'll ride when I start crossing states.

The Seat if definitely something to look into .. Just a matter of picking the Right One .. For me on the 05 Dyna was the Mustang Vintage Wide which was Great Improvement but not quite enough .. Adding the Progressive 444's was the addition needed for me as HD is not famous for that great a suspension Stock .. Are better and more expensive options in Suspension such as Ohlins to name one .. But the 444's worked fine for me without breaking the Bank .. 500 miles is a breeze now when used to have to stop at 100 or so for a Butt Break .. Picture below of just the seat improvement hard to see the difference in rear suspension because of my saddlebags ..

Attachments

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
For me it depends on how fast I'm going. Only my CBR has a windscreen and let's be honest, it's only useful when you're tucked. So basically none of my bikes protect me from wind on the highway.

Doing 70+ with the wind battering my helmet? I'm going to want to call it quits after about 4 hours. And I'll be wrecked, I'll feel like I spent those four hours lifting weights.

Riding on backroads or going through small towns? I could do that all day.

I guess the logical conclusion then is one of my bikes needs a windscreen. ;)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I remember when 400 miles was a long trip and I kept extending the rides until almost 12,000 miles was a long trip and 1600 miles was a long day.
Then in 2018 trips were rides to the grocery store and now in 2019 I'm working my way up to a 8500 mile ride and after that ride a long ride will be 20 miles for awhile again.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Only my CBR has a windscreen and let's be honest, it's only useful when you're tucked. So basically none of my bikes protect me from wind on the highway.
I found that a double bubble (or one of the many clones) made a world of difference on my Ninja 300. It has also been helpful on my CBR, just not as noticeable an improvement...

I remember when 400 miles was a long trip and I kept extending the rides until almost 12,000 miles was a long trip and 1600 miles was a long day.
Then in 2018 trips were rides to the grocery store and now in 2019 I'm working my way up to a 8500 mile ride and after that ride a long ride will be 20 miles for awhile again.
:surprise: Wow! I can't comprehend doing that mileage! Most I've ever done in a day was a bit over 500 and that was on four wheels...

Reactions: Rollin'

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I think Gator's seat on his Dyna would be a lot more comfortable than what I've got right now. Mine's not uncomfortable when I sit on it, it's uncomfortable when I sit on it for a couple hundred miles. With a fixed income, new parts will come a bit slow. Oh well, patience is a virtue they used to say. :)

Good God Rollin, 1600 miles in one day. You could promise me 40 virgins in heaven and I couldn't do 1600 miles in one day! :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts