Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute to work on my motorcycle and I live on a military base so the speed limits are pretty low. I am looking to spend less than $100 on some riding pants as I feel my uniform pants aren't really up to the task of protecting me if I hit the pavement.

My commute is less than 3 miles and the speed limits are 20-30 mph (strictly enforced) with light to moderate traffic. Off base the fastest speed limit locally is 55mph though I mostly commute, minus some weekend leisure riding. What sort of pants would be sufficient? I am in Eastern NC so we have hot summers, mild winters, and rainy springs.

Thank you for your advice!

-Jared

·
Registered
121 Posts
I commute to work on my motorcycle and I live on a military base so the speed limits are pretty low. I am looking to spend less than $100 on some riding pants as I feel my uniform pants aren't really up to the task of protecting me if I hit the pavement.

My commute is less than 3 miles and the speed limits are 20-30 mph (strictly enforced) with light to moderate traffic. Off base the fastest speed limit locally is 55mph though I mostly commute, minus some weekend leisure riding. What sort of pants would be sufficient? I am in Eastern NC so we have hot summers, mild winters, and rainy springs.

Thank you for your advice!

-Jared
I am assuming that you are going to be wearing the pants over your uniform pants most of the time, so I'd suggest some textile overpants. There are plenty of good overpants on the market, and you can find a pair for under $100. I'd personally go with mesh overpants with a removable rain liner.

There are some discount motorcycle gear wesites but I'd recommend trying on some different brands for sizing at the local motorcycle gear shop before ordering online as the brands vary on sizing. You'll be able to see what fits and what styles you like before ordering online.

Just my two cents. I have ordered online before and, other than getting the right size, I haven't ever had a problem.

3G

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming that you are going to be wearing the pants over your uniform pants most of the time, so I'd suggest some textile overpants. There are plenty of good overpants on the market, and you can find a pair for under $100. I'd personally go with mesh overpants with a removable rain liner.

There are some discount motorcycle gear wesites but I'd recommend trying on some different brands for sizing at the local motorcycle gear shop before ordering online as the brands vary on sizing. You'll be able to see what fits and what styles you like before ordering online.

Just my two cents. I have ordered online before and, other than getting the right size, I haven't ever had a problem.

3G
I was thinking mesh or kevlar lined jeans and I do not have to wear them over my uniform but it would make things easier as I would not have to change every day. That isn't really a big deal but I'm sure it could get old.

Do you have any suggestions on websites. I have only ordered from motosport.com and they took an ungodly amount of time to ship even though it was "in stock" at the time.

-Jared

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was thinking mesh or kevlar lined jeans and I do not have to wear them over my uniform but it would make things easier as I would not have to change every day. That isn't really a big deal but I'm sure it could get old.

Do you have any suggestions on websites. I have only ordered from motosport.com and they took an ungodly amount of time to ship even though it was "in stock" at the time.

-Jared
I've used leatherup.com multiple times and the shipping was extremely quick. The only issue I've had with them was they seem to list a lot of items that are out of stock in my sizes...and I'm only a slightly larger build than a lot of people. But, they do have so many choices that I can always find a different brand in my size.

3G

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,453 Posts
See if there is a Cycle Gear in your area. I am going to assume you are at Seymour, there is one at Fayetteville and another at Raleigh. Be a good run :)

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Try Carhartt overalls over your uniform. They're inexpensive and tough as nails.
This, or Firehose khakis from Duluth Trading.

You want something easy to pull off when you get there, and unless you have a locker or other storage area at work, just roll them up and bungee them to the pillion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
See if there is a Cycle Gear in your area. I am going to assume you are at Seymour, there is one at Fayetteville and another at Raleigh. Be a good run :)
Yup you guessed it, probably not too hard now that Pope is basically a ghost town but still I am at good ol' shady-J. Everything seems to be in Fayetteville but Goldsboro is getting better.

Thank you for the suggestions guys, we do have lockers I work on the flightline so a lot of us change into coveralls from normal uniforms and we are also not supposed to be in uniform off base in the wake of recent events. So most of us arrive and leave in civvies. I settled on some kevlar jeans with CE armor so that I can use them on and off duty and they also look like normal pants when I am not on the bike.

-Jared

1 - 17 of 17 Posts