Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So l am finding a lot of discrepancy in pricing as l sift through helmets on various different sites. I though maybe you guys could help me discipher between msrp and what actual prices are on good helmets these days.

I have found what looks to be a pretty good deal on Shoei RF-1100 helmets for $300 with free shipping on Ebay. The seller has a bunch of them, l am guessing because they now make an RF-1200 model. Is this a good deal for this helmet? Also, does anyone know the truth behind whether or not a helmet loses some life just by sitting unused?

If you have a helmet recommendation, please tell me about it. What model is it and how much did you pay for it? Things you do or don't like about your lid?

I am looking for a full face helmet. Bonus if it is lightweight and breathes well. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm all for saving money by buying on-line, but I'd be nervous buying a helmet that way, unless I've tried that exact helmet on at a store already and know it fits my melon. Have you tried that exact model helmet already?

I doubt a helmet degrades if it's sitting on a shelf in a box even for several years..

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Ya gotta try one on to check the fit. That's the ONLY thing that really matters. Any local stores got that helmet?

How do I know that ordering helmets mail-order doesn't work, even after measuring your head, using their chart, etc? How do you think?

If I told you I'd done it three times you'd say I was a "slow learner." So I'll tell you I only tried it twice :)

HELMETS sometimes get mis-labeled, just like apparel. A medium with a "large" tag. It oughtta fit, but it doesn't....

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
My most recent helmet purchase was online through Competition Accessories.
I thought I'd like one helmet, ordered it and decided I did not want it. Compacc was helpful with the return and I ordered the Bell Vortex with the American Flag motif. I really like the helmet and got a great fit. I do have a fairly average size and shape head.

Even with the return postage, I spent a lot less than going to the store.
I also saved the time going to the store. My first two helmets were store bought, so I really did not need their assistance again.

I do a lot of my daily, routine purchases online. So the occasional special item is no big deal. If I think I need questions answered, I support my local establishment.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am planning on going to CycleGear tomorrow to try on a few different helmets and see what size l am. I had a Shoei back in the day and it fit really well. Of course, that was 20 years ago, so l need to be open minded about what l find this time around.

BTW, someone said that one should try on that exact helmet in the store. I would thing that one brand would fit in similar fashion throughout the line, ie. Shoei fits this way, Arai another way, Bell another way, etc. Is this not true? If l try on 2 different Shoei helmets are they likely to fit differently?

·
American Legion Rider
20,011 Posts
That's basically true. But I've had two helmets, same size, same model number fit completely different. Just different color. You simply have to try every helmet on or accept minor differences. If you are in the middle of a size range you are better off. I'm at the high end of one and the low end of another. It makes a big difference to me.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, l went to CycleGear today and tried on a bunch of helmets. I found that both Shoei and Arai fit me well. I wore a large in the Shoei and medium in the Arai hats l tried, across the board. I tried on an AVG and it didn't fit al all. In the end, l looked and looked and looked when l got home and l finally decided my head was worth it, l really liked the way my noggin felt inside the Arai helmets and l ponied up and bought a Vector II Schwantz, the very last one l could find online in a medium. My girlfriend has the Amazon plan where l can return it if it doesn't fit, so l feel pretty good about it. One more important piece of gear l can check off my list :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Glad to hear your shopping worked out :) I too have a tough time finding a helmet that "really fits" nice. Right now I'm using a KBC modular helmet and a Joe Rocket 1/2 helmet & they work pretty good. I do like Shoei a lot from past experiences. As long as you have an OK returns option, you should be fine :)

·
2,827 Posts
BTW, someone said that one should try on that exact helmet in the store. I would thing that one brand would fit in similar fashion throughout the line, ie. Shoei fits this way, Arai another way, Bell another way, etc. Is this not true?
NO, this is not true. For example, the Shoei Quest fits me better then the RF-1200. Arai helmets are all different, that is one of their selling points. They make helmets to fit your head shape, not force your noggin into a one size fits most. That is why the Aria M fit you well, it was the correct head shape for you.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NO, this is not true. For example, the Shoei Quest fits me better then the RF-1200. Arai helmets are all different, that is one of their selling points. They make helmets to fit your head shape, not force your noggin into a one size fits most. That is why the Aria M fit you well, it was the correct head shape for you.
Well, l suppose it is possible that when my helmet gets here it doesn't fit. But l tried on half a dozen Arai helmets, including the same model that l bought just in a different design) and they all fit me quite well, so l feel pretty confident that it will be good :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts