Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread in here recently, in which a contributor started a Thread about the best way to send his bike to his new home. (I think it was across country). It was a bike he already owned, and had accepted a job in another State.

From another perspective, with regard to the same question.......

I'm going to be looking at the Heritage Softtail Classic bikes when I go to the Dealership in Daytona. Mostly because I dream of owning one some day, as unlikely as that is bound to be, but...........

Suppose thru some miraculous circumstance I found myself buying one while I was there. Is it better to have the Dealership deliver it, or have it strapped to the bed of my truck, and hauling it home myself?

My own thoughts on the matter are, that having the Dealership ship it, could be fairly costly (presuming they would ship it to a local HD Dealership in my home area) and yet the liability would be "on them" if anything happened to the bike.

If "I' were hauling it home, the "liability" (some 1500 miles) would be totally "on me," should anything happen.

What's the better choice in YOUR opinion?

Of course this is all a pipe dream anyway, because the chances of my wife saying, "oh go ahead. Buy the bike. We can manage" are slim to none!! But I like to dream anyway.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,251 Posts
You got the transportation with you and no one, NO ONE will take care of your new bike like you would. My only concern would be parking over night. Thieves would think nothing of just taking everything. Even a covered trailer is no guarantee you be left alone. So because of that you might consider a dealer to dealer transfer. Will cost some but peace of mind is worth a lot.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..............So because of that you might consider a dealer to dealer transfer. Will cost some but peace of mind is worth a lot.
Anyone have any examples of the cost of a "Dealer to Dealer Transfer" these days? (I'd imagine it has various levels of cost relative to distance of course, but in general, are there guidelines or examples?)

-Soupy

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Soupy, you have risk either way.

If you truck it home and damage it in transit, you may recover insurance less a deductible. Assuming you insured the bike and transporting is covered, since you're not actually riding the bike home.

If a dealer sells a bike to you and agrees to ship it they typically use a common carrier specializing in motorcycles like Federal Motorcycle Transport, a division of Allied Van Lines. The dealer is not likely to accept liability while in transit, since your bike is out of their control and under the control of a third party, the transport company. The terms of sale transfering title (not the dmv title, but title as in ownership) will most likely be to transfer title to you at point of shipping, not point of delivery. It's the common carrier who is liable for any damage.

Even though the dealer shipped the bike you have some risk. For example you want the bike to arrive in the condition it was in when you purchased it. However if there's damage the carrier will pay to have it fixed or if it's totaled they'll pay you the insured value declared when it was shipped. Your risk is that you will get a check for the insured value or a damaged bike and a check for the repairs, not the pristine bike you wanted. That's the risk you face.

I had a Harley Road King shipped about 6 years ago from Indiatlantic, Florida to Chapel Hill, North Carolina. I'm not sure of the actual cost, but I think it was around $550 door to door to my home.

Edit: My case was for a used low milage Police Road King in excellent shape at what I felt was a good price.

I can't comment on dealer swaps of new bikes.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.........If a dealer sells a bike to you and agrees to ship it .............The dealer is not likely to accept liability while in transit, since your bike is out of their control and under the control of a third party, the transport company............The terms of sale transfering title (not the dmv title, but title as in ownership) will most likely be to transfer title to you at point of shipping, not point of delivery............. if there's damage the carrier will pay to have it fixed or if it's totaled they'll pay you the insured value declared when it was shipped. Your risk is that you will get a check for the insured value or a damaged bike and a check for the repairs, not the pristine bike you wanted.............I think it was around $550 door to door to my home....
I have seen this factor in our own company, when product gets damaged in transit.......that the Shipper (my company) did not accept responsibility, once the carrier had it in their possession. Valid point.

Transfer of title at point of Shipment, rather than at point of delivery is an interesting observation. I would hope that I could get transfer of Title at point of Delivery, so that the liability is "on them" until I take physical ownership of the bike. Whether they would do that or not, I dunno.

As for the pay off from the Insurance company, if any damage DID occur in transit; it sounds like you are saying "good luck in recovering the value of the bike, enough to cover the cost." I would agree that "book value" comes into play here.

"$550.00" or something in that neighborhood, sounds quite likely, and I would suppose that the Dealership would work that into the documentation as part of the cost of the bike. Whether they would require that "up front" is another thing I don't know.

Sounds like (Oz) you would be more in favor of hauling it home yourself. Am I reading you correctly? (I'd be "tempted" to RIDE the bike home......imagine that.....1500 miles on a new bike, is one HECK of a "Test Ride".....lol).

-Soupy

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Wouldn't you just love to ride it home though Soupy? Just roll it into your hotel room every night. You won't hit horrible weather until the last day, then throw it in the back of your truck and drive the last leg home ;-)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn't you just love to ride it home though Soupy? ............
I suppose I'd "love" it for the first 500 miles......but even on a new bike, a bike I am totally "in love with," ......I'd imagine I'd be really burnt out after a while.

There would have to be some incentive.........like getting a medal, or badge (Iron Butt) or something, for a trip like THAT!!

Yeah, I would "love it," but I'm not sure I'm UP for it (lol). Naw, let me change that......I KNOW I'm not "up" for it!! I'm too old and too sore already!!

-Soupy

·
So long
2,739 Posts
"$550.00" or something in that neighborhood, sounds quite likely, and I would suppose that the Dealership would work that into the documentation as part of the cost of the bike. Whether they would require that "up front" is another thing I don't know.

Sounds like (Oz) you would be more in favor of hauling it home yourself. Am I reading you correctly? (I'd be "tempted" to RIDE the bike home......imagine that.....1500 miles on a new bike, is one HECK of a "Test Ride".....lol)...
Soupy, transportation $$ should not be added to the cost of the bike. Make sure it's a separate line item so you're not paying sales or excise taxes on the transportation.

I would rather ride it home than haul it in the back of a truck. My second choice would be hauling it in a trailer with good ramps low enough to ease loading and unloading and with proper motorcycle wheel chocks and strapping points.

A new bike warrantee, should ease any concerns of repairs on your ride home. There are plenty of Harley dealerships that can do warrantee repairs along the way.

In my case I did a test ride in November while visiting my brother. I purchased the bike in January over the phone. There were ice storms in Georgia and the Carolinas and I was crazy busy traveling at work. So it was easier and cheaper to just ship the bike.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...........transportation $$ should not be added to the cost of the bike. Make sure it's a separate line item so you're not paying sales or excise taxes on the transportation....................I would rather ride it home than haul it in the back of a truck.....................My second choice would be hauling it in a trailer with good ramps low enough to ease loading and unloading and with proper motorcycle wheel chocks and strapping points.

A new bike warrantee, should ease any concerns of repairs on your ride home. There are plenty of Harley dealerships that can do warrantee repairs along the way.

In my case I did a test ride in November while visiting my brother. I purchased the bike in January over the phone. There were ice storms in Georgia and the Carolinas and I was crazy busy traveling at work. So it was easier and cheaper to just ship the bike.
Valid point about the "taxes."

You'd ride it 1500 miles in "January" temps in New England? Dude.....you ARE my hero!!

Yep....there sure ARE a lot of Dealerships along the way. I know. I went to all of them last year, (just for the fun of it, so I could say I DID it) from Florida to Connecticut!!

"Ice storms"..........exactly!! Can you imagine me navigating a "new" bike home in a blizzard?! "I don't think so, Tim!!" (lol)

The "Trailer" idea is my best choice, (in my own mind). Of course, I don't OWN a "Trailer," so I'd end up having to buy or rent one.

-Soupy

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Ride it up to Washington, then throw it in your truck and drive it home. You can certainly drive home from DC in one day, no?

BTW,we are all excited to see your new bike now...what color is it? ;-)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ride it up to Washington, then throw it in your truck and drive it home. You can certainly drive home from DC in one day, no?

BTW,we are all excited to see your new bike now...what color is it? ;-)
"D.C." is a 6 hour ride in "good weather" on a "good day" in "Summer." In WINTER.........well.......that's a whole OTHER ball of wax!!

"New Bike?" I didn't say I was "getting a new bike." I just said, I was dreaming about it. If, by some miracle, I found myself signing papers on a Heritage Softtail Classic .............first off....I'd probably wet myself (lol).

Not likely!!

-Soupy

·
So long
2,739 Posts
You'd ride it 1500 miles in "January" temps in New England? Dude.....you ARE my hero!!

...The "Trailer" idea is my best choice, (in my own mind). Of course, I don't OWN a "Trailer," so I'd end up having to buy or rent one...
Haha! Would be good to be a hero, but I'd only ride it to my place in Chapel Hill! :biggrin: I'm a native New Englander now enjoying the South's warmer temps and easier pace.

Renting a trailer would be the way to go. Here's a link to UHaul's motocycle trailer so you can estimate a price. http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Motorcycle-Trailer-Rental/MT/

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
I read a thread in here recently, in which a contributor started a Thread about the best way to send his bike to his new home. (I think it was across country). It was a bike he already owned, and had accepted a job in another State.

From another perspective, with regard to the same question.......

I'm going to be looking at the Heritage Softtail Classic bikes when I go to the Dealership in Daytona. Mostly because I dream of owning one some day, as unlikely as that is bound to be, but...........

Suppose thru some miraculous circumstance I found myself buying one while I was there. Is it better to have the Dealership deliver it, or have it strapped to the bed of my truck, and hauling it home myself?

My own thoughts on the matter are, that having the Dealership ship it, could be fairly costly (presuming they would ship it to a local HD Dealership in my home area) and yet the liability would be "on them" if anything happened to the bike.

If "I' were hauling it home, the "liability" (some 1500 miles) would be totally "on me," should anything happen.

What's the better choice in YOUR opinion?

Of course this is all a pipe dream anyway, because the chances of my wife saying, "oh go ahead. Buy the bike. We can manage" are slim to none!! But I like to dream anyway.

-Soupy
If I were in your shoes and bought it in person, I'd definitely want to haul it back home with me. I wouldn't take a chance on the truck bed though, I would probably rent one of those $20 a day u-haul bike trailers and use that. If it was something I ordered online on eBay for example and it wa son the other side of the country, I'd go ahead and pay the $500 or so for delivery, that's what it would cost me in gas and hotel to drive out and get it anyhow.

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts