Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealership/mechanic says that in NJ everyone sticks to Shinkos so that's all they have i stock. He says everyone raves about how great of a tire they are and they dont want to soend more on something else.

I use motorcycle tires until they practically fall apart and when my stock cbr500r tire got very low tread i hit uneven pavement and got a flat.

I had to rush to put a tire on so I got forced into a Shinko. In the dry weather it handled alright. Offroad it was 100% worthless. Wet it was 50%.

I immediately ordered the Road 5's I wanted online and put them on. The grip difference was beyond noticeable. Road 5's are glued to the road in almost any condition. Offroad riding they do pretty decent but still wash out in a predictable manner.

I definitely recommend the Road 5 tires. I have seen many reviews saying Road 4 tires are terrible. They probably ruined their reputation with those ones.

Road 5 are supposed to gain traction in the first 3000 miles. I have maybe 4k miles on them and have noticed a bit of less traction now, but they still do amazing considering the mileage. I never really noticed the claimed increase of performance but they held standard for that 3k miles.

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i was worried the road 5 would hold stones and eject them at bad times. i have had a few small stones get in them but they get out on their own easily.

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh and the road 5 don't seem too great for snow. I was worried they'd trap snow in and become slicks and that is what happens. i definitely don't recommend them for snow even though I still use em in the snow. One of my silly 1mph crashes was a snow pact tire on ice. Literally had zero traction.

·
American Legion Rider
26,362 Posts
Factory Dunnies did fine on fresh snow with my 85 Electra Glide. Only off-roading were forest fire roads so no challenge there.

·
Visionary
5,405 Posts
oh and the road 5 don't seem too great for snow. I was worried they'd trap snow in and become slicks and that is what happens. i definitely don't recommend them for snow even though I still use em in the snow. One of my silly 1mph crashes was a snow pact tire on ice. Literally had zero traction.

I’m not sure there are too many tires that would work well packed with snow on top of ice.
I ride in some questionable conditions myself but your starting to scare me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one day on my ninja 300 i did a reckless pass on ice and snow around a semi truck who was turtling it. literally a foot of snow on ice. a car pulled into the opposing lane. i had to slow down alongside the truck and fall back in line...when u get a certain amount of snow down bikes handle pretty predictable. Slush ruts can be tough if u cant predict them and black ice sheets that you cant rly see r tough too. having a lot of offroad experience helps. A common mistake street riders make when going offroading or in low traction settings is not utilizing the rear brake or engine braking properly. Front brake in low traction has to be done very carefully or skillfully balanced and prepared to slide.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,651 Posts
Back in my younger dumber days I used to love riding in the snow. With 6 or more inches on the ground a light dirt bike is very controllable and a lot of fun. I wouldn't do it now.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i always liked sliding around muddy grassy fields on rainy days most. Nothing better than kicking the backend out around a turn.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've read great things about the Road 5 tires, especially for rain. After much research I nearly bought a set for my VStrom, probably the best grip of any 19" tire. Then I bought another bike & will sell the Strom. Looking at Michelin Power RS tires now. For a little more grip the Dunlop Q3 Plus & Pirelli Diablo Rossa Corsa 2 are supposed to be good for street & track but shorter life. I haven't ruled them out yet, we'll see. I think the Pirelli Diablo Rossa Corsa 2 needs a longer name. Interesting what they do now. Sticky sidewalls, hard middle. Decent grip, decent miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.