Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The feeling is very hard to describe, but really stands out when I feel it. Most of the time shifting to first feels the exact same way as shifting up to every other gear. A very soft feeling and real smooth.

The best I can describe it is that normally it feels like I can feel it shift from 2 to neutral to 1st in one smooth soft motion that is quiet. The other thing that happens sometimes feels as if it goes straight from 2nd into 1st and bypassing neutral. Really tough to explain, but it clearly feels different and sounds much different. It's much louder when this happens and the sound is tough to describe. It doesn't have that normal soft smooth sound.

Not sure if this is normal or what, but I remember it from the start and it's not always, just sometimes. How hard I shift sites not affect it. Sometimes I can put little pressure while trying to go into neutral and I can feel it. The bike seems to be fine and runs great. 2015 suzuki gw250 with 3k miles if that helps.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
That feeling can change depending on wear and how old the oil is. Unless you have real problems, like popping out of gear, I wouldn't worry about it. Just shift and ride.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
It always goes past neutral, either shifting up or down. Try shifting with authority and don't finesse it:smile_big:

Sam:grin:

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's hard to know what's really going on, but my bike makes a "windy" (like wind-up toy) sound when downshifting into first. There's never any sense of passing through neutral, and in fact, only go into neutral when getting ready to shut off. I've heard others say they go into neutral at stop lights.

Just curious, when approaching a stop light are you clutching every time you shift gears, or clutching once while downshifting through all the gears? Some newer riders do the former.

·
Registered
272 Posts
How fast are you going and or what are the RPM's when you are trying to go into 1st? Maybe it is your bike way of saying not this is not a good idea at this time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts