Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new stator in my Sabre (VT1100C2). Everything went well, except nobody tells you that prying the engine cover over the shift shaft seal is a little more than just pulling the cover off. This, I think is the experience part that's not added to the Clymer/Chilton ,which is why these forums are so important. Anyway the stator replacement fixed my bike and it is once again charging instead of eating batteries. I asked a mechanic advice on whether or not to replace the shift shaft seal and he told me that he "never does". Well, now mine leaks about a drop every half hour or so, unless it's warm and then it makes a small puddle. I don't really want to pull that cover off without getting all the advice available. Did I fail to pack it with grease or something before I put it back together? Or, does this bike mechanic just accept the fact that it leaks after it's slid off the shift shaft and not care. Or is there another trick that I just don't know about that may reseal this seal? Thanks in advance if anyone knows. I appreciate all of your time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry, I don't have the answer, although sealing it sounds like a good thing. However, I am so glad you brought this up, because I was just getting ready to pull the left cover. I will be monitoring your thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts