Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back home from our tasks this morning (groceries, bank, dropping off a payment), and raked the leaves on the side of the house that were left over from last Fall.

Saw the bike looking at me..............staring in fact!! I said, "ok, I hear ya!!"
Went inside and brought my riding gear up from the closet where they have been roosting since last year.

It's Lunch time (almost) and I'm beat. I think I'll sit here with my legs up for a bit; eat some Lunch in an hour or so, and then CONSIDER whether or not I'm strong enough to try venturing out.

There are a good number of puffy clouds invading the sunshine, and the wind is strong enough to make it a tad uncomfortable for any LONG ride, but.........
I've got to determine what my legs and lower spine can handle.

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After resting up a bit, before Lunch; then having a nice "Lunch" meal, I put my gear on, and decided I was going to "try" and see how I did on the bike, considering all that has gone on with my L4/L5 and leg pain and all that.

Rolling it out of the garage, I had forgotten how heavy the bike is, and it's balance point, and nearly dropped it coming out the door of the garage. Sheer upper body strength kept the bike from laying down.

She started just fine, and I put on the rest of my gear while I let her warm up a tad (this bike likes a full manual choke for a little while) and then left the driveway.

I did a short 10 mile circuit.............I noticed that the gears were a bit sticky, and the shifter seemed to be higher than I remember (truth be told, there was no change to the shifter height, I just didn't remember having to reach so much for it).

Stops, startups, turns (I was a bit sloppy on my right hand turns) ........all no issue. Lower back felt "fine" (I couldn't believe it) and my legs were ok. No pain anyway. My right leg got a bit of a cramp, but I was able to shake that off quickly.

Windy day, but sunny. Pulled in the driveway and put the bike back in the garage, and hooker her back up to the Battery Tender.

All in all........I was glad that I could ride her with no pain. I didn't expect that. In fact, I figured I would have ENORMOUS pain.

Is it common for the gears to be a bit sticky, (stiff) after Winter storage? I guess so, eh?!

-Soupy

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,453 Posts
There you go all your worries for naught.

Now get out there and ride.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
After resting up a bit, before Lunch; then having a nice "Lunch" meal, I put my gear on, and decided I was going to "try" and see how I did on the bike, considering all that has gone on with my L4/L5 and leg pain and all that.

Rolling it out of the garage, I had forgotten how heavy the bike is, and it's balance point, and nearly dropped it coming out the door of the garage. Sheer upper body strength kept the bike from laying down.

She started just fine, and I put on the rest of my gear while I let her warm up a tad (this bike likes a full manual choke for a little while) and then left the driveway.

I did a short 10 mile circuit.............I noticed that the gears were a bit sticky, and the shifter seemed to be higher than I remember (truth be told, there was no change to the shifter height, I just didn't remember having to reach so much for it).

Stops, startups, turns (I was a bit sloppy on my right hand turns) ........all no issue. Lower back felt "fine" (I couldn't believe it) and my legs were ok. No pain anyway. My right leg got a bit of a cramp, but I was able to shake that off quickly.

Windy day, but sunny. Pulled in the driveway and put the bike back in the garage, and hooker her back up to the Battery Tender.

All in all........I was glad that I could ride her with no pain. I didn't expect that. In fact, I figured I would have ENORMOUS pain.

Is it common for the gears to be a bit sticky, (stiff) after Winter storage? I guess so, eh?!

-Soupy
Just had my L4-L5 fused 5 weeks ago.......
Waiting for May to begin riding.....
Sure glad i had the fusion.....
My hip/leg pain was horrible.....
Now i have no pain at all.....well...
except all the other problems i have other......LOL

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I was out riding today. A bit chilly, but refreshing. It wouldn't be that bad except for the wind. Tommorow going to be a better riding day.....

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had my L4-L5 fused 5 weeks ago.......
My Orthopedic Surgeon guy says I'm not a candidate for fusing. He'd rather cut the lobes off of L4/L5 and sew the muscles together. I'll be getting a few more opinions before I go down that road.

-Soupy

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
It's good to get opinions.....
My trouble was the stuff between the disk burst.....
NNnn the L4 was pushed into my spinal column almost a half inch pinching my nerves off....
I was still walking my walk 4 miles a day with a lot of stops to stretch to kill pain...
Doc kept saying he couldn't believe i could still even feel my legs....nnnnn...
He have a girl in the office call n ask if i was pissing n pooping my self yet each day.....
I'd say not yet......
Guess it was time 4 surgery......
Bunch bolts n rods later i feel great.....

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's what the Doc said about my own condition.........that there were (he showed me on the MRI) protrusions jutting into my spinal nerve chords, causing the pain. Beats me why he thinks that grinding off the lobes of the L4/L5 vertebrae and sewing the muscles together would solve the problem; especially since they are on the outside, and the nerve packet is in the inside of the vertebrae. What'do I know?! I'm not a Doctor.

-Soupy

·
6,489 Posts
The problem with back surgery is they rarely get it right the first time, maybe the 2nd or 3rd time will do it. There is no 'in between,' you either get better or worse after the surgery.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I got lucky i guess.....
Mine went great.....
I did do my homework on finding a Doc tho....
The Doc i ending up using had a 90+% success rate in my type surgery...
Actually his score was high in everything he did including brain stuff...
After meeting with the doc i felt he was one that actually loved his job n wasn't just in it 4 the $$$....like most....
And i did just what he said after surgery.....
I don't smoke or drink n eat very healthy.....n excercise best i can 4 a old broken fart.
That alone is a huge part in body recovery....
The same day after i had surgery...the doc comes in n see's me in my room.
We talk a bit.....I'm already walking up n down the hall driving the staff nuts....
Ur spose to walk.......
We talk a bit...n...he says in order to recover well....
U walk.......n u walk.....n u walk.......
As much as u can handle....everyday.....
The more u walk the better u will feel.....
No lifting, no twisting, no bending, nothing but walking...
I started out the day i got home....which was the same day i had surgery..walking....
Next day i decide to go outside n walk.......
I did a mile up the road n back......
In a week i was walking 3 miles a day n walking around the house all the time.
2nd week 5 miles a day everyday.......n whatever i did in the house...
3rd week....4 miles 2 times a day......
When i seen the doc he said i was the fastest person he ever seen heal from this.....a month ahead of schedule by the ex-rays n scans.....
I said....u told me to walk...... I did n told him my walk schedule....
He says....well it worked didn't it......Yep i said...
I wasn't spose to be able to try riding itll June...
He said first of may u'll be good to go, but remember.....
Ur older....u have other disk getting bad.....Use ur head in what u do in life....
Hell....that's something i've done 4 many years....
I'm disabled now on SSD.....
So i can now enjoy myself as much as my $$$ allows......
It's cheap to run a Ninja 650.....

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For those of us who require some form of medical intervention due to back problems................

Does it make more sense to be seated in a forward-leaning position, rather than a vertical?

In other words, does the Rice Rocket posture provide more protection for the back than a Cruiser sitting position? I'm beginning to wonder if that is true?

Of course sitting with a forward lean puts more pressure on your shoulders and arms, so there may be an equal trade off on some level, I suppose.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm (pondering).

-soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,538 Posts
The "standard" is the best. Too far leaned over is painful but if you don't have your feet more or less directly under you, you can't lift up easily if you see a bump. You need to use your legs as shock absorbers. Cruiser position has your legs really too far forward although I've learned how to time bumps just right and lift when needed. It's just not as easy as the standard position.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Myself i find the upright seating position of a sportbike fine.
Not the crotch rocket forward position at all.
The cruiser feet forward bothers my back more.
But everyone built different, so u have to find ur own comfortable seating style.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the foot pads on my cruiser. They allow me more movement of my feet (position) than pegs would.

I'm frankly amazed that the forward-leaning position ISN'T being promoted as better (easier) on the back! I'd think that alleviating the pressure on the spinal column, and transferring it to the arms would be ideal for back-pain sufferers like me.

Furthermore, I'd be willing to bet that those who can (essentially) lay down on their gas tanks, have a longer-distance endurance potential (I can lay on my cruiser gas tank I suppose, but my hands would be along a line with my ears.........lol).

-Soupy

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Myself......
I have a bad left shoulder so can't do the supersport position very long with the weight on my arms.
That position also bothered my back last year, but that was be4 i had this lowerback fusion.
But with no way to repair my shoulder i'm stuck with the upright sport/touring position.
I find that comfy now that i added the 2 butt buffers to my seat to cushion the bumps.
The Ninja 650 seat is about like sitting on plywood all day.....
I've yet to put the miles on with the back tho......
Bike gets registered next Wed/Thursday, so i'll have to see how it all goes with all these bad roads up here.
Right now.....the back is great.......
Hasn't been 2 months since surgery.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts