Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of tomorrow, Illinois residents will be required by edict of the Governor to "shelter in place". You are allowed to leave your home to go to the grocery store, the gas station and some other locations, as well as to exercise outside. I'm not sure if riding a motorcycle will count as "exercise". But possibly, if I decide to go to the supermarket, I could take the long route and if stopped legitimately say that riding less than about 10 miles will not get the engine temp up to where it needs to be to evaporate the water in the system, and therefore I had to take this longer route. This thread is not a joke, I'm totally serious. After waiting through this long winter, I would hate to have to still not ride even when the weather is good because of this Covid-19. Riding a motorcycle, which is certainly keeping me safely distant from other people, is certainly nothing risky regarding this virus for either myself or others, but I wonder if overzealous law enforcement will give me a hard time if I go for a short ride. I know California is in the same situation, and possibly some other states.

·
Registered
97 CBR900RR, 98 VFR800, 07 VT1100
156 Posts
pft, they'd have to catch me to quarantine me. seriously though, you'd have to check your state constitution to see if they can restrict your movement without cause (in NY the state/local government can only enforce quarantine if they can prove you have an infectious disease).

·
Very Famous Person
9,809 Posts
--

I don't know at this time that any LEOs have been instructed to stop all vehicles and inquire where they're headed and how far they've come. I suppose it could come to that, but pretty soon you'd be talking martial law for everyone. I don't think we'd be able to do that as a country the way they've done it in some non-democratic places.

Along those lines, I'm counting on (as I might say lightly) by the end of April we have cure medicines available. When that happens, the country will quickly return to normal. By quickly, I mean within a month after that. I hope so as I had a 5,000 miler planned beginning the end of June. I could delay it a month if necessary. To go means grocery stores are open and are mostly stocked, gas stations are open and have fuel, and motels are operating for the most part. I can handle tourist locations being closed since I'm going more for the scenery and views. But can you imagine traveling like back in 1973 when there was the oil shortage and all stations had long lines and many ran out. What do you do on a bike if you can't get gas? You can't sleep in the back seat and wait.

--

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
Back in 73 I would go to the races in WA from BC. My 68 GMC heavy half carrying the bikes, would always run out of gas at the top of Stephen's Pass, in the Cascade Range. We carried enough spare gas for the races, and the return trip.

UK

·
Ace Tuner
2,176 Posts
Riding a motorcycle, which is certainly keeping me safely distant from other people, is certainly nothing risky regarding this virus for either myself or others, but I wonder if overzealous law enforcement will give me a hard time
I don't know at this time that any LEOs have been instructed to stop all vehicles and inquire where they're headed and how far they've come
Like Ron said, don't think you would get pulled over so the LEO could ask why you're out on the bike.
If I were you and I did have to interact with a LEO I believe I'd tell him I'm just out for a mental health ride.
I would also tell him / her that you didn't plan to associate with anyone, therefore no risk, until the red and blues flashed.

S F

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would hope law enforcement in all places would treat a lone motorcycle rider as no a threat of spreading covid-19. We all need it have a little mental health time during this crisis and for many of us it's a ride.

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
We used to have a lady cop that was soooooo pretty, most of us wanted to get pulled over for a stern lecture. But she was almost too sweet to do that. We get cops transferred here early in their career's, and transferred out. Somewhere nice if they are good, far North otherwise. We miss her. Of course all the goody drivers never got stopped. Their loss.

UK

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same question as Vito, I live in California and staying inside has me slowly going crazy I don’t see the risk of going out riding for a few mins or hours to relieve stress...

·
Visionary
3,359 Posts
Hey. Your on the way to the store. You took the long way. I think you’ll be fine.
PA and NJ are on similar restrictions, we just rode 150 miles with no problem. I’ve been riding to work too without any issues, even though as essential personnel I am authorized to be out for work anyway so I’m good even if pulled over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ace Tuner
2,176 Posts
I would also tell him / her that you didn't plan to associate with anyone, therefore no risk, until the red and blues flashed.
My thought, exactly. If I were feeling brave enough I might actually say it out loud.
Just say it with a smile then hand them a doughnut. I'm sure you'll be fine.

S F

·
Registered
7 Posts
So First hand of being in shelter in place, motorcycles are out everywhere in California it’s a perfect day to ride.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Colorado State Police Officer: What are you doing out?
Motorcyclist: Ah, I just went to the store for toilet paper and raisins.
Police Officer: But you're from Missouri.
Motorcyclist: Ah, we don't have these kind of raisins in Missouri? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Dang, you guys are really grabbing at straws. As stated above there is no corona danger riding an MC. With the possible exception of grabbing hold of a corona gas pump nozzle. But driving a car is the exact same non-risk. So rest assured any travel ban will not have an MC exemption.

Nice try

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
Friend just stopped by on his bike. Just returned from Ozz. Quarantined before he left, one week of quarantine on return. Rode his bike today. 4 retired folks at my place chatting, while we dug a test hole for the dunny tank for the field. Hit rock at just over five feet.
There are a few exemptions at the border, but beer, ice cream and petrol run, probably does not cut it.

UK

1 - 20 of 42 Posts