Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a used '16 KTM Duke 390, this bike had +1300 miles on it when I bought it. Have since run 400, oil was low and dark, I went ahead changed the oil saw some metal shavings which from what I'm told and read that's normal for the first couple oil changes. The owner's manual calls for Motorex Formula 4T 15W/50. My question being does anybody have experience with the Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic Diesel Oil? With this bike being basically a souped-up dirt bike IC folks online running Shell 5w-40 in the their street bikes. If not what's the best choice? The bikes motor is bone stock as of now, but I see a need for a PCV/remapping down the road and open the air box + a better air filter to smooth out the power curve.

·
6,590 Posts
Shell Rotella T6 or even the non synthetic are both fantastic motorcycle oils because of the heavy additive pack in the oils. I have ran the Rotella T non synthetic in many motorcycles and it is cheap and readily available.

All MFG's want to sell you THEIR oils, especially if they are up to 4 times more expensive.

Welcome to the forum.

Sam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks good to know. I had a flat about 300 miles in and for what the dealer wanted to replace the half life rear tire I looked elsewhere and found a race shop outside of town, the owner they're plugged as well is some insight that the dealer won't give you. Not to say dealer services a bad thing, but I don't think they would have done everything the shop did for how what he did it for, adjust chain tension, balance wheel, adjusted brakes, topped off fluids. The dealer wants to do what's scheduled and charge out the a** for it.

Cheers

·
American Legion Rider
19,020 Posts
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are a friendly site here. Well, most of us.

I agree with Porky. Oil is a lubricant. Seems everyone wants to make it a chemical or some such thing. I've got caught there too though because none of us wants to ruin an engine. But Rotella is a good product. Due to my bulldozer I have the stuff around all the time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm running Rotella T5 15w-40 in my air cooled Royal Enfield Classic 500, which is synthetic blend. Works good, but was too light for summer. I need a 50 weight come spring, which does not seem to be available in the Rotella lineup. I'll likely go to Mobile 1 15w-50 full synthetic at more than twice the price of the Shell T5. I'd rather change oil more often and use lower cost oil, than spend more and try for a longer service life. My hydraulic lifters can give a nice audible signal of declining oil viscosity.

I've read that the zinc? additive in the diesel can degrade a catalytic convertor, but my bike doesn't have one. If yours does, might want to look into that issue further.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Zinc can indeed harm the catalytic converter. My '03 BMW boxer calls for oil meeting API-SG. All the modern automotive motor oils are API-SN and are formulated for lower drag and therefore better fuel economy. But they don't have the wear protection my boxer needs.

In the cooler months I use Rotella T4 15w40. It is inexpensive and has the wear protection I need without the added zinc. For warmer months I use the more expensive but still not outrageously priced Castrol Actevo 4T 20w50. About $23 for a gallon jug at Walmart.

·
Very Famous Person
9,724 Posts
--

I use the Rotella t6, 5w40, full synthetic in my bikes most of the time. The newer t6 I believe also has a 15w40 which might work better for older bikes or if you run mostly in hot weather.

--

·
Visionary
2,992 Posts
Under normal conditions I'd probably be running Rotella as well, it's a good oil with a long history of working well in motorcycles and the price is great compared to motorcycle specific oils.
The only reason I am not using it yet is that I bought a small pallet of factory oil change kits when Victory Motorcycles sold out all of their accessory stock at ridiculous discounts, and for 8 hours they apparently included the oil kits in error in the sale. They removed them soon afterwards but to their credit they honored all the sales made in that 8 hours and I was one of the lucky ones. They even delivered it truck freight for free :) When my stash runs out I will quite likely use one of the Rotella oils as well.

·
Ace Tuner
1,868 Posts
Maybe I should think about changing to Rotella when my supply of Bel-Ray EXP Semi-Synthetic finally runs out.
I'm no longer a dealer for Bel-Ray products.
Way back when I switched to EXP from a conventional non synthetic M/C oil, in my bike, shifting was so much smoother that I thought the thing didn't shift and I pulled over to see what was wrong. Now that is some slick oil.
Anybody have similar experiences with Rotella ?

S F

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,648 Posts
Other than not being able to find neutral all the time on my Yammie I have never had an issue shifting it. It helps to find neutral if you stare at the light :)

·
American Legion Rider
19,020 Posts
It helps to find neutral if you stare at the light :)
hahaha I never knew that was an option. And you say it works. I'll have to give that a try the next time I blow it and need to find neutral quickly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts