Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to post another video showing awesome machining skills, but I found this guy in Sweden and watched some of his sheet metal videos. (I know nothing about sheet work, so this fascinates me.) Some old school sheet metal hand work makes for a great looking retro project scooter: "The Bomb"

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
That's actually pretty doggone cool! :thumbsup:

My sheet metal skills are rudimentary at best. I had to make a new cowl and all the metal trim on the airplane I built and it almost put me in a padded room. :p

I'd sure like to spend some time with a craftsman that knew how to use an English wheel and planishing techniques properly.

·
8,621 Posts
That scoot is a work of art for sure. There are many practical reasons for a covered design from keeping the rider clean and the one that Guzzi discovered developing their racing program, where a proper fairing required 1/3 to 1/2 the horsepower to attain the same high speeds as a non faired one did.

This reminded me of Moto Guzzis factory wind tunnel and the fairing designs tested there:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Owr9EY9D0_1aAmflQ&sig2=itXFDPWZ3U0MRiHsGlYHLA

Thank GOD for pop-rivet guns!:biggrin:

Sam

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's actually pretty doggone cool! :thumbsup:

My sheet metal skills are rudimentary at best. I had to make a new cowl and all the metal trim on the airplane I built and it almost put me in a padded room. :p

I'd sure like to spend some time with a craftsman that knew how to use an English wheel and planishing techniques properly.
I know, right? (My sheet metal skills are much less then rudimentary.)

You should post some pics of the aircraft you built, and the parts!

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Do you have to have someone catch you when you come to a stop?
It'd be easier to just put your feet down.
I was wondering the same. The question is, did he leave room to put his feet down? If he did it's close I would suggest. The thing certainly looks odd. But I did watch one of his other vids. The guy does have skills. The aircraft look on a scooter doesn't prove it to me but he does have skills WAY more than I.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts