Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...

I'm a happy owner of a 1981 Yamaha XV750 Virago.

During the season, she completely died on me. No lights, dash, starter, nothing!
I don't know if it makes a difference but she was put down once.

What I've done so far:
-Fixed the electrics (everything works)
-New air filter
-New plugs
-Fresh gas
-New battery
-Fresh Oil
-Checked compression

You'd think I'd be done, right? Well all she does now is crank and crank and crank. I have air, gas, compression, and spark... So why won't she start? I've been working on this for a while and am really upset because this wasted my entire season to ride.

I'd love to hear what you think... and want to remind you that no idea is a bad idea. Let me know...

Thank you so much, hope to hear from you,
Jim

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Okay, Motor-City Mad-It-Won't-Start-Man...

If you have air, gas, compression, and correctly timed spark...

It would start.

So you don't ACTUALLY have one of the above.

Either water in the bottom of the tank, a valve stuck open (no actual compression), or timing chain has jumped or broken, or you either don't really have spark or it's mis=-timed.

Got the plug wires reversed?

Have you confirmed spark AT the plug itself? Spark leaping from screwdriver in boot to the plug electrode? Is it strong, blue, or weak, yellow?

Hit it with some ether (faux fuel, starting fluid) if you have any spark AT ALL it will at least fire. (and confirm you have a lack of REAL fuel)

How do you know you have compression? Thumb over the spark plug hole?

Put a squirt of oil in there. Dry, stuck rings sometimes can't seal against the cylinder wall so no ACTUAL compression.

A plugged exhaust (mud, spider's nest.... can prevent it from running although usually it will start and die)

Back to basics. Tell us in the next post which one you really did NOT have.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
You're welcome! Glad to hear you got it running! Come visit the forum again sometime ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, Motor-City Mad-It-Won't-Start-Man...

If you have air, gas, compression, and correctly timed spark...

It would start.

So you don't ACTUALLY have one of the above.

Either water in the bottom of the tank, a valve stuck open (no actual compression), or timing chain has jumped or broken, or you either don't really have spark or it's mis=-timed.

Got the plug wires reversed?

Have you confirmed spark AT the plug itself? Spark leaping from screwdriver in boot to the plug electrode? Is it strong, blue, or weak, yellow?

Hit it with some ether (faux fuel, starting fluid) if you have any spark AT ALL it will at least fire. (and confirm you have a lack of REAL fuel)

How do you know you have compression? Thumb over the spark plug hole?

Put a squirt of oil in there. Dry, stuck rings sometimes can't seal against the cylinder wall so no ACTUAL compression.

A plugged exhaust (mud, spider's nest.... can prevent it from running although usually it will start and die)

Back to basics. Tell us in the next post which one you really did NOT have.

Okay... so I actually do have all three but just figured out that my carb floats were stuck open and I was flooding the engine... I'm going to have to pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning (or rebuild?)

I appreciate the help and support, I'll let you all know what happens when I am done

Ride safely!
Jim

·
8,452 Posts
Don't change the float settings, just put a rebuild kit in, which is easy. Don't forget to remove all jets and clean them with spray carb cleaner and then blow them out with an air hose. If it has CV carbs, make sure you check the big rubber diaphragm for cracking. Clean the fuel valve screen too and then run some Seafoam, Lucas, Techron or some other fuel system cleaner through the tank.:biggrin:

Sam:71baldboy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts