Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I just bolted a trunk onto the back of my bike...(see avatar)

I never had one before.

Since then I have found it great for transporting loads of stuff..

Downside: The stuff gets shaken up like crazy... I have found things crushed and dented and banged up to extents I never knew were possible, even when packed fairly tightly.. The trunk hanging off the end of the bike is clearly pulling some serious Gs, like riding in the back of those old school busses...lots of bumps and bangs..

So, I was wondering, before I start trying to invent a solution for this, have any of you trunk folks found any useful ways of minimizing the bump effects in these kinds of trunks? I'd guess there are a few ways to do this, what have you used?

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Not really. Some set-ups are worse than others. But even my hog, designed for it, shakes things up. So you don't put beer there.:D the only thing that helps some is covering everything with my leather jacket and only going 45mph and under. Not practical. But I discovered that does work when I did it at funerals I attend during the procession to the cemetery. But who rides at 35mph every day?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Stupid, ugly trunk. I'll never put one on my bike.

And then I did. I love you, trunk!

The secret is to put things in there you want shook up. It's great for carrying paint home.

I put most of what I carry in the trunk into my old tank bag first. It keeps it together so it doesn't get shook as bad. My seat shade, a tyvek suit with the arms and legs cut off, is also in the trunk to act like a nest.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I use an old towel or two for padding and cushioning if there's room(and there usually is). As cooler weather comes an old sweatshirt can serve double duty... padding for the trunk contents or to put on and take off as the temps change. Rain jackets can also be used to fill space and that way you always have it with you.

My trunk makes my bike a mini truck. I've hauled a lot of different stuff in it including a truck battery one time. Keep plastic bags in the trunk to put stuff to keep it clean and ziplocks bags for extra protection with liquids.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
If you want adjustable padding, you can get some beach balls, put in beside your stuff, and inflate as needed. One may be enough, depending on the size of your trunk, but more is better, right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts