Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years, on the bikes I've owned, I've had Shaft Drive, Chain Drive, and now Belt Drive power transfer systems.

As I learn about Belt drives (of course ALL my "cages" have belts) on bikes, I wonder about any stresses that the colder temps bring to bear, on belts.

The general condition of the belt plays a part in this of course, and mine would appear to be in good shape; but I wonder about your experiences with belt drive bikes.

Care to share any horror stories, or otherwise, concerning your experiences with a belt-driven bike?

-Soupy

·
8,613 Posts
Soup, the belts on the HD bikes are just about bullet proof and in fact will handle maybe 3 times or more the stock HP and torque and not complain. The belt also has a very long life with few adjustments required over it's lifetime. Just adjust it or have it adjusted every 25,000 miles or so and check it once in a while for stone or gravel damage.

I respect my streetbikes and treat them like the expensive toys they are. The bikes today are so well engineered and built that with proper care and maintenance they should last a very long time.

100,000 miles is easy on a Harley belt.

Sam:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,698 Posts
That's true Porky which is why I was so ticked at Harley after I had replaced the 4th one in 3 years. And they were never worn. The teeth were separating on the torque side from the stress on them. After awhile I's see one missing and knew it was time once again. I've never trusted belts since. Yet that's still what I have although I'd prefer shaft being on gravel so much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you ride off-road, even graded dirt the dust makes the belt squeal. It's happened to me on a couple belters. Other than that belts seem like a good solution.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Soup, the belts on the HD bikes are just about bullet proof and in fact will handle maybe 3 times or more the stock HP and torque and not complain. The belt also has a very long life with few adjustments required over it's lifetime. Just adjust it or have it adjusted every 25,000 miles or so and check it once in a while for stone or gravel damage.

I respect my streetbikes and treat them like the expensive toys they are. The bikes today are so well engineered and built that with proper care and maintenance they should last a very long time.

100,000 miles is easy on a Harley belt.

Sam:biggrin:
^^^:71baldboy:

I just check and adjust the belt whenever I change a tire. I'll also give it a quick look when it's on the lift and I'm changing oil, and give it a quick tension check, (Twist it 45 degrees,) and that's about it. The one on my Springer is about 19 years old and has about 147,000 miles on it, and I see no reason to replace it yet.

The one you had Hog, had some kind of issue with chassis alignment or something. Perhaps a burr on a sprocket tooth. No way should you have gone through belts like you did.

·
American Legion Rider
23,698 Posts
If you ride off-road, even graded dirt the dust makes the belt squeal. It's happened to me on a couple belters. Other than that belts seem like a good solution.
I've never once seen that and I ride thousands of miles in the stuff. From my point of view the grit in the dust wears the belt down and keeps it roughened so should never squeal. But slightly out of alignment sure would cause it. I guess anything is possible with belts though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've never once seen that and I ride thousands of miles in the stuff. From my point of view the grit in the dust wears the belt down and keeps it roughened so should never squeal. But slightly out of alignment sure would cause it. I guess anything is possible with belts though.
Funny how that works. It's happened to both belt drive bikes I've ridden. Must be something I'm doing wrong.

·
Registered
886 Posts
My '09 XR1200 has belt final drive, no problems or going loose yet, compared to maintenance and adjustment every several hundred miles or so for a chain, no slinging chain lube all over the place. Seems like belts are the way to go.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Had two belt drive bikes, still have one with 24,000 miles on it. The Vic had 25,000 or so miles on it. Haven't had to replace one yet, but do keep a spare for the Raider just in case. At over $500 for an OEM replacement, dealers are hesitant to keep one in stock. Yamaha made sure to have a "special" belt made that makes it unique from all other belts made. Can get a belt with one less teeth, it will work, just have to move the rear wheel in a quarter of an inch, and save over $300.

I went back to shaft drive, it's just a mental thing that so few of them ever fail that it is a secure feeling. Doesn't matter, everything will fail eventually, and always when you need it to hold together the most.

·
American Legion Rider
23,698 Posts
For $500 it ought to have a lifetime replacement guarantee.
It cost about that back in 85 thru 88 on my Electra Glide. But that was belt and labor to replace. But belt alone does seem a little pricey.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$500.00???????

-soupy

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,361 Posts
Almost 69,000 miles on my '09 Harley Ultra Classic. No issue with the belt - looks brand new

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
If I remember correctly, which is not always the case, the Raider belt is 114 teeth and the Gates belt is 113 teeth. It will work because there is enough adjustment on the rear wheel to move it ahead. Gates makes the belt for the Raider I understand, so they do make the same compound, just in a different size. I'll look and see what I can find again.

Okay, here is the edit, I was wrong above.

The Raider Belt is 1 1/8" by 134 Teeth, same pitch as a Harley...

Thankfully, the belt used on 2000-Up Dyna's is a 133 tooth 1 1/8" Belt.

This is also the belt (133 x 1 1/8") that Big Dog uses on several of their bikes. The Belt from Big Dog was $140.00 and WORKS FINE!

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
I had a 1983 Kawi 440 LTD, with belt drive, for several years (always avoided gravel...). Sold it in 2013? Those belts were said to only last 20,000 miles, but it was smooth, quiet, and maintenance free!

Also had a 1979 Honda CB750, chain drive, currently have a 1993 Kawi Voyager XII, shaft drive. Don't miss the chain, really enjoy the low maintenance shaft. If I could, I'd have belt final drive, on every bike. Never ride on gravel -- 98% of my riding is two-up, and now its always on the heavy touring bike. Life is too short to take gravel, when there are endless paved roads to explore. Cheers!

·
American Legion Rider
23,698 Posts
I had a 1983 Kawi 440 LTD, with belt drive, for several years (always avoided gravel...). Sold it in 2013? Those belts were said to only last 20,000 miles, but it was smooth, quiet, and maintenance free!

Also had a 1979 Honda CB750, chain drive, currently have a 1993 Kawi Voyager XII, shaft drive. Don't miss the chain, really enjoy the low maintenance shaft. If I could, I'd have belt final drive, on every bike. Never ride on gravel -- 98% of my riding is two-up, and now its always on the heavy touring bike. Life is too short to take gravel, when there are endless paved roads to explore. Cheers!
Not in the third world country of Texas. This state has gone back in time I swear. It was once a great state. Not so anymore. The get rich quick jerks grab their loot and leave after they vote in laws that kill everything. Well not all of them Austin is California central still.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Is this the BDSM thread?

Shafts, Belts and Chains.... oh my!

Is this a BDSM thread?

Shouldn't this be in the Biker Bar or "adult" section?

WAIT A MINUTE..... it talks about lubing the chain, NOT the shaft. My bad!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts