Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ‘01 Honda shadow 600 that turns off when riding around 70 mph. I’ve tried cleaning the carb, replacing the auto valve, bipassing the auto valve, cleaning the tank, and replacing the filter in the tank all with no effect. Looking for any hopeful suggestions!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It starts with when I pull the throttle it just coasts like it’s in neutral, but still engine breaks when I let it off. That will last maybe 10 seconds then the bike just turns off like with the kill switch.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
That sounds like it is running out of fuel. Another question: does it happen sooner with a full tank than with a near-empty tank? If it takes longer with a near-empty tank, it could be the vent. For most state models, that is in the fuel cap, but in California models, there is a somewhat hidden vent that goes to a vapor canister. If you can, when it starts to fail, pop the cap open; if it recovers, it is the vent.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't mean to change the subject but I just bought a 1988 Shadow VLX and I don't know which VT600 it is. What differentiates the VT600C or any of the others? Since I try to do all of my own maintenance, I need to know this when I order parts...I think.

On another side note, if Honda could make the VT600 available in Europe with a 5-speed instead of the USA's 4-speed, why can't we have the choice? I would really like an overdrive 5th gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.