Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just about to pull the trigger this weekend on my first bike, a 2007 V Star 1100 with very low kms. I was planning to negotiate the final price today or tomorrow, and have it for the weekend.

Now, an acquaintance just offered me a 2007 Shadow 750 with 1100 kms (7000 miles). It is in really good shape and he is asking $1500 less than the V Star owner. I am a little surprised, and I think he NEEDS it gone immediately.

Honestly, I know nothing about these bikes. My research told me the V Star would suit my needs, and I really didn't look at the Shadow as I heard it was a poor high way bike and I will be riding a lot of secondary highways. Almost completely actually. And I hope next year to be able to double with wifey. The V Star seemed to suit me well.

Would I regret buying this Shadow?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I have ridden both, prefer my V star. I didnt mind the highway performance of the Shadow, although my highway experience on the Shadow was limited. The V star is bigger and that is reflected in the ride. For two up riding I think you may enjoy the Vstar more.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I suspect I will like the V Star more, but that is a great price. In my mind, I would like to have a larger touring machine for my wife and I. But I am not ready. I am wondering if I should learn on this bike and then upgrade next year.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
The Shadow might be a better choice to learn to ride on. You need to get a lot of miles behind you before you put a passenger behind you. The weight of even a small passenger makes the bike top heavy and it will handle totally different. Remember, when you put that person on behind you their life is in your hands.

A Shadow can handle 2 up. We have friends who took a 300 mile trip with us. We let them tell us when they needed a break or gas. They only got about 120 miles to a tank running 70 mph. You will probably end up wanting a larger, more comfy bike if you start touring a lot.

Who knows, your wife may just want to keep that Shadow for herself. I have my own bike and ride it more locally. If we're taking a long trip I'm on the back of our Vision. I love both!

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
As Moni stated, the Shadow can handle 2-up without any issues. I used to do it a LOT when I had a 98 750ACE. And it would do full interstate speeds all day long while doing it.

Yes, the 1100 would be a better 2-up bike, but also like Moni said, it is best to get miles under your belt first before doing so. And the Shadow might be an easier bike to learn on where it is a lighter bike. That being said, I almost bought an 1100 V-Star off a friend once. They are nice machines.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I own a Shadow now, and owned another one before. I like them. The one I have now is a 750cc and the previous was a 500cc.

That said, if I could buy an 1100cc, I would!! Not that the 750cc doesn't "do it" for me or nothing. I just would like at least 1,000cc. Maybe some day!!

I have no justification for this desire, since the 750cc gives me all that I need; just have a desire to have MORE than I need, is all.

-Soupy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I bought the Honda, it is an Aero.

I had it looked at, they could find nothing wrong. I just couldn't walk away from the deal. I paid $3500 and I think a fair price would be $5000.

It'll be an awesome first bike

·
9,210 Posts
The Aero is an excellent machine. I am fully confident that you will be well pleased.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Aero is an excellent machine. I am fully confident that you will be well pleased.
I have to admit, it was really easy to learn on. I didn't see that coming and expected today to be a lot tougher than t was.

I haven't driven anything with a clutch since 1995 and the clutch was really easy to master.

I must admit, I was surprised at the power and speed.

·
9,210 Posts
I have to admit, it was really easy to learn on. I didn't see that coming and expected today to be a lot tougher than t was.

I haven't driven anything with a clutch since 1995 and the clutch was really easy to master.

I must admit, I was surprised at the power and speed.
I am really partial to the 98-99 ACE's They were chain drive, which is better from a performance stand point, and had dual carbs, which is also better in my opinion.

What year is your Aero? Is it a fuel injected model?
EDIT: Just looked... you have a single 34mm CV carb. My Shadow had dual 36mm carbs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts