Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New member here. I got this 2000 r1100rt earlier this season. It only has 19,000 miles on it. It is super clean. I have been riding it locally and it has performed well with no issues. Maybe idle a little rough at start up. I would like to take it somewhere to have them give it the lookover, change fluids, tune-up, etc. i called a dealership in C'bus and I think the service manager saw $$$ signs. I paid $3600 for the bike and am willing to put some money into it but he was going overboard with 'stuff it might need" because it hadn't been serviced by BMW for a few years.
My question: what's the minimum should be done to get it in tip top shape? Could any motorcycle tech do basic work on BMW?
TIA

Attachments

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Buy the service manual and do the scheduled maintenance listed in the book. You may have to double check previous service intervals to make sure everything is as it should be.9

·
If in doubt...what?
105 Posts
She's purdy alright.

I picked up a 2005 R1200 GSA and while they are different models I suspect the general arrangement is similar. If I am correct in that leap of assumption, I agree with the buy the manual recommendation. From your post I take it you are not independently wealthy. That being the case, if you are blessed with any children at all you only have one first born, so dealership work is out of the question. Ask them what it cost to install a new clutch, or a new ABS. (both of which I suspect may very well be in your future). Then buy the manual and start to learn the bike. You'll find valve adjustments are easy as is most of the basic maintenance. The ABS and clutch replacement are not that difficult but are not quick. The dry clutch is destroyed by a drop of oil and the only thing between the clutch plate and oil is the shaft seal that will fail. To replace the clutch you will remove every bolt and screw and wire from the cylinder head back. ( No, I don't think that's an exaggeration.) When you replace the clutch my suggestion is to get the aftermarket German made Siebenrock oil resistant plate. When the ABS goes out it will cost an unreasonable amount of money for them to replace it (more than you paid for the bike) and the new parts will coast as much as you paid for the bike. However, even though the ABS is not indtended to be repaired you can repair it pretty easily and there are a ton youtube guides to get you through if your bike is of the correct vintage ( mine was not). As a fall back you can get a rebuilt module from Module Master for around $750.

Now that I've been a real buzz kill I will add this: I love my GS, it is just sweet. I am sure you will love the model you have. I know I want to ride it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! New member here. I got this 2000 r1100rt earlier this season. It only has 19,000 miles on it. It is super clean. I have been riding it locally and it has performed well with no issues. Maybe idle a little rough at start up. I would like to take it somewhere to have them give it the lookover, change fluids, tune-up, etc. i called a dealership in C'bus and I think the service manager saw $$$ signs. I paid $3600 for the bike and am willing to put some money into it but he was going overboard with 'stuff it might need" because it hadn't been serviced by BMW for a few years.
My question: what's the minimum should be done to get it in tip top shape? Could any motorcycle tech do basic work on BMW?
TIA
The three most important things are change the brake fluid, change the brake fluid and change the brake fluid.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Or sell it to me so I can take care of any service needs:grin:

Wow, she's a beauty:smile:

Change oil and filter and final drive lube but don't use synthetic in the rear end!

Run a large dose of Chevron Techron fuel injection/ carb cleaner through the tank. Seafoam and Lucas also work well.:smile:

Check the valve's clearances, which is an easy job:smile:

I have had 5 Beemer's, 4 'R' series and on K bike:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts