Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 2002 VT1100C , 5300 miles, saddlebags, windshield, near perfect condition . A lot of chrome . $4,000 but I believe I can get it for $3300 . KBB is at $2700 for average mileage .

This model has been around for ions. What is this model known for as far as parts failure and reliability ? Overheating in hot weather : 90 f ? How will it be for a 6'3" / 250 lb guy on a long highway trip on good surface road ? Do Motorcycle guys just buy Premium gas since the gas tank is so small anyway ? Do u often run cleaner in with the gasoline such as SeaFoam or equivalent ? Any info tips appreciated much. Dave. Florida.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
If the motorcycle doesn't predetonate on regular fuel, it's a waste of money to put higher octane in it. Check the owner's manual for the proper octane and use that.

I don't personally use any fuel additive, except for long term winter storage. On our fleet bikes, we add Seafoam year round since it is often unknown how long one may end up sitting.

If you ride regularly, it's not needed. If the motorcycle might sit for a month or more, I'd add it just to be safe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the motorcycle doesn't predetonate on regular fuel, it's a waste of money to put higher octane in it. Check the owner's manual for the proper octane and use that.

I don't personally use any fuel additive, except for long term winter storage. On our fleet bikes, we add Seafoam year round since it is often unknown how long one may end up sitting.

If you ride regularly, it's not needed. If the motorcycle might sit for a month or more, I'd add it just to be safe.
Thanks. How about these questions ? : This model has been around for ions. What is this model known for as far as parts failure and reliability ? Overheating in hot weather : 90 f ? How will it be for a 6'3" / 250 lb guy on a long highway trip on good surface road ?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
If it was and is maintained correctly, I don't see any issues. As far as being comfortable, that's going to vary from rider to rider. 250 pounds comes in a variety of shapes, so trying it on for fit is going to be the only way to know.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It's liquid cooled so if it overheats in 90f temperatures there's something wrong with it.

It's only a 2002 so it's not at all old, and you shouldn't have much problem finding parts for it. Some parts, and particularly customizing parts, might not be as widely available, but you should be able to get anything you need.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's liquid cooled so if it overheats in 90f temperatures there's something wrong with it.

It's only a 2002 so it's not at all old, and you shouldn't have much problem finding parts for it. Some parts, and particularly customizing parts, might not be as widely available, but you should be able to get anything you need.
How much can I expect to pay for a new higher seat for it if its too low for me , with a Dealer doing the work ? Thanks.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Seats usually run in the range of $400 and up. They shouldn't charge for installation unless some modification of the motorcycle needs to be done. It only takes a minute to install one on most motorcycles.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not all owners do but I have a folder for all work performed on my motorcycle by a service person and what I do on my own ( most of my work) like regular maintainenance, starter, alternator, new tires, throttle handle replacement and others are all documented by receipts and in a notebook. Check if they have it. It is always a good selling point.

"Eye_m_no_angel" and others were a big help last year on replacing my tires with tubes ( first time).

2003 Shadow VLX Deluxe 50,000 miles, bought at about 2500 miles many years ago for 3k. At the time I just bought it due to description, very low miles and one modification. Modifications worry me sometimes and this one caused an small carb. issue and was addressed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts