Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and Greetings to All Members here. I’ve recently installed sequential LED turn signals (from China) on Honda NC750s (2017). Put them on front, remain the old bulb indicators at the back. The sequential signals don’t properly work. They only flash rapidly instead of “flowing light”. There is no fault in wiring. I did some research on the Net and learnt that this problem maybe related to the Flasher Relay and old bulbs signals. So, I replaced old bulbs with LEDs, but this did not help. I located the original 4 PIN relay (on attached photo) and observed that is has “(LED)” on it. In theory, then it should work with LED indicators. Am I right or wrong? Or do I need to replace the Flasher Relay? Please advice, I am sure there is someone here with the knowledge. Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I do share some skepticism about quality of Chinese products, but to be fair, it improved in recent years. The set of sequential turn signals I purchased on Ebay look OK and if connected directly to a power source (battery) it works perfectly. So, the problem is not with the set. Any more suggestions, please?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Well, I do share some skepticism about quality of Chinese products, but to be fair, it improved in recent years. The set of sequential turn signals I purchased on Ebay look OK and if connected directly to a power source (battery) it works perfectly. So, the problem is not with the set. Any more suggestions, please?
We could probably discuss this for hours and never come to agreement. On this site we have seen scores of guys come along with either Chinese parts or Chinese bikes and have nothing but problems with them. If they are made in China but OEM they seem to be better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same thing happened to me,you should hear the turn signal flasher clicking under the seat if it's working properly. i had a few wear out in my lifetime,i bought a new flasher and that fixed my problem...my flasher went bad from hitting a pot hole at night,when your 250lbs like me,the jolt to your bike is a little more brutal

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, I fund on the Net, that some people modified the original relay but cutting off PIN 7 on IC chip. I opened my relay (I had to cut plastic case in two places because the board was glued to the case). I removed the board and noticed the PIN 7 links to the piece of metal wire which looks like a resistor. Therefore, I am not sure if cutting it off will do any good? Any suggestions?

·
Visionary
4,266 Posts
Hi, I fund on the Net, that some people modified the original relay but cutting off PIN 7 on IC chip. I opened my relay (I had to cut plastic case in two places because the board was glued to the case). I removed the board and noticed the PIN 7 links to the piece of metal wire which looks like a resistor. Therefore, I am not sure if cutting it off will do any good? Any suggestions?
I don't know exactly what that circuit does or why they are cutting it ( do you have a diagram or schematic?) but it's easy enough to cut or better yet unsolder that link and find out, and solder it back if you don't like the results.
I could make an educated guess that by cutting that shunt resistor your making a current monitoring circuit much more sensitive, which would make sense if your going from a regular lamp to LED but without knowing what exactly is going on in the circuit on that board I'm not sure what else will happen, you could burn up the circuit board or components if too much current is drawn without that shunt bypassing most of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was very skeptical about cutting off modification, therefore I left the board as is and put it back inside the case and glued all together. As next step, I wired two resistor to each LED signal. I bought them here 4 x 12V LED LOAD IN-LINE RESISTORS 50W 6 OHM FOR LED REAR TAIL LIGHTS INDICATORS | eBay . After this alteration, my LED “flowing lights” signals work OK. They are flashing at normal rate along with rear original bulb signals and I have this “flowing lights” effect (quite cool) at LED front signals. So, problem solved. However, now I need to find a place for these two quite bulky resistors. They must be well ventilated, because they get hot. I will try to put them under front headlamp.

·
Shadow Moderator
905 Posts
The BMW motorcycles from the late '90's onwards have a similar turn signal flasher "relay". As you discovered, it's not a relay at all but instead an electronic flasher device. When I replaced my turn signal bulbs with LED I made a similar modification to the flasher in my bike to avoid having to use the load resistors. It works like a charm.

Both the old style electromechanical flashers and these new electronic ones are designed to flash the turn signal really fast if one of your bulbs burns out. Since LEDs take much less current than an incandescent bulb, if you switch to LED then these electronic flashers always think you have a burned out bulb. The modification (cutting the IC pin or whatever) simply disables the circuit that detects that too little current is flowing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts