Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have contacted a couple of people selling motorcycles and they won’t meet at their homes. I’ve sold a few cars in the past and, unless requested by the interested party, I met at my house. For one thing, the bike won’t be cold if somebody rides it to another site. I’m handing you a few thousand dollars but you’re afraid I’m going to come back and break into your house to steal it back? Unless someone is storing a motorcycle in a storage facility or parking garage, what is the issue?

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I've had a few nightmarish experiences where people threatened to harm me because I didn't sell them a bike for an offer I deemed unreasonable. Some of those people had my address. I've had some others contact me months later to harass me about some issue I allegedly never told them about. Almost all those people know where I live.

I prefer to sell bikes from my place of residence, however I will not do that anymore. Buyers will meet me at a petrol station or police station. I'm no longer going to risk pissing off someone with a short fuse again just because I refuse to take $150 on a $500 bike.

If this person you're dealing with has sold a vehicle more than once, chances are they've had an experience like this, too. It's nothing against you at all, it's just a defense mechanism. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the same time, if a seller willingly sells any type of vehicle with issues, then he should expect to face some kind of consequences. I know I’m tired of getting scammed!

·
1,251 Posts
Very true, however I am no scammer. I am very concerned about my safety, so of course I'm going to tell the person standing in front of my home everything that's wrong with the bike.

If you buy a $200 Chinese scooter from me full well knowing that it's a poorly built clone of a real scooter (because I fully disclose everything), how can I possibly be the one to blame when something random breaks on you some four months after you buy it from me? Those are the kinds of people that harass me.

That scooter guy? A week ago or so he started sending me harassing messages claiming that I sold him a scooter with a blown engine and that I need to give him a refund. Uh...what? When he bought it we literally loaded the scooter into his truck by starting the engine (which ran fine) and riding it up his ramps. If the engine was blown, it wouldn't have started. Making his claims even more false is the fact that he actually has the engine for sale right now and in the ad is...yep, a video he took of the engine running perfectly fine. Seems to me he's more mad he couldn't trick me into giving him a refund so he can double his profit.

Another guy reacted violently and threatened to "make me pay" for not selling him my GSX1100G to him for $100. Again, someone with my home address. He's not alone, I sell bikes for so cheap (compared to others in the local area) that people get pissed when I sell a bike to someone that's not them. And yes, all my ads have "first come, first serve". They don't care.

The guy that did buy my Suzuki GSX1100G for a reasonable price had his 5th gear go out on him a month after he got it running. Instead of blaming me he chalked it up to the fact that it is a 26 year old motorcycle that hadn't run in 10 years and has been through who knows how many owners.

At least for me, it's no longer worth it to have people show up to my home. I've sold 8 motorcycles now, that's at least 8 complete strangers who know where I live, not including the at least dozen people that have stood me up.

Reactions: MGRIDER

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I've never had a problem with someone coming out to the house, but I understand why someone else may not want to meet at their house. I think meeting at the local cop shop is a great idea, if they don't want to meet there, they might be someone you don't want to deal with anyway. :)

·
Vintage Rider
428 Posts
I have no problem meeting wherever the seller wants to when buying. When I'm selling, I prefer my residence, however I will not text my address without talking to the buyer first or worse yet negotiate over the phone or through text. This sucks for millennials that don't know how to have a conversation, other than texting, but tough $h!t. I feel I can size up a potential customer pretty quick during a 10 min conversation. If I don't like what he has to say, his attitude or even his accent, I'll make sure he no longer wants the bike or say it's already sold. I know call me a profiler, but that don't mean anything to me either. It's my sale my way or the highway. It's also important for the seller to know how to control his sale, so no one gets upset when they drive a couple hours to find out it's already sold, but that's another topic. I buy or sell bikes at least every month, so experience helpful.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, one particular guy not only won’t meet at his house but he also doesn’t have a clean title. So, I’d hand over $3900, leave without a motorcycle and have no idea who this guy really is and I’ve just paid off his motorcycle? How would I know if the bike started cold, if he insisted on rising it to the site? I understand that some people are paranoid and some people are crazy but I don’t like doing business like this. I’m a pathologically honest person and even though I’m not that old, I prefer doing things the ild fashioned way. I feel just as suspicious that someone is trying to hide something or pull something over on me by not meeting at their home. Maybe I’m going to get jumped and have my money stolen. Everybody always tells you to bring cash. It works both ways.

·
1,251 Posts
Wait a minute, what's wrong with the title? That's a far far bigger red flag than a seller not wanting to meet at their home.

I dunno... I've just had some bad experiences so I can understand not wanting to sell out of your home.

If you can't meet me at the public trading area of the police station, I'll have no problem finding someone who will. My prices are so reasonable I have on multiple occasions had bikes sold within two hours of listing them. :surprise: It takes me no time to load a bike onto my trailer. :)

Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have contacted a couple of people selling motorcycles and they won’t meet at their homes. I’ve sold a few cars in the past and, unless requested by the interested party, I met at my house. For one thing, the bike won’t be cold if somebody rides it to another site. I’m handing you a few thousand dollars but you’re afraid I’m going to come back and break into your house to steal it back? Unless someone is storing a motorcycle in a storage facility or parking garage, what is the issue?
Holy Cow! The world is full of NUT JOBS and THUGS!

NO WAY am I inviting complete strangers to my home, to see what it's my garage, to see my beautiful wife and kids..no f'n way.

The complete idiots and jackazzes I've come across selling stuff...oh my.

I am licensed to carry concealed and you bet I do and I never go alone...and my buddy carries to. I flat out tell people I carry and will arrive carrying and will meet them at the police station. That alone really cleans up the people I deal with; when they know you'll shoot back, the criminals don't even bother with you.

I was out fishing in a semi-remote area as the sun set...menacing kids, Hillary Clinton calls them "super predators", kept inching my way. I "adjusted my wardrobe" to partially expose my self defense item and they were on there way to some other crime. Had I been unarmed, I would have been robbed, beaten, possibly killed.

If you want to see the bike start cold, ask for a video...tell him to put his hand on the exhaust at the head and fire up the bike...I'd do it for you, simple request as I'd like to see a cold start too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
At least for me, it's no longer worth it to have people show up to my home. I've sold 8 motorcycles now, that's at least 8 complete strangers who know where I live, not including the at least dozen people that have stood me up.
Years back, my wife was telling me about how she was mis-treated returning something. This was the nth time I've heard a story like that from her and I just said, "That never happens to me"...she replied "that's because you're big and scary; people don't mess with you". I guess I never saw myself that way...she says that's partly why she married me, she feels safe with me...she was 100 pounds when I met her and I was 225 and all muscle (this was a long time ago)...when I'm standing with her, nobody messes with her and I guess I never realized it was because I was "big and scary"...lol!

Funny...one of my beautiful daughters...I'm walking with her through a store, couple guys check her out, then notice I'm staring at them...yep, I'm big and scary.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Selling stuff to private parties is not what it used to be. Everyone is a google expert and they think they know everything about everything. When I decided to sell off a dozen or so motorcycles, I first advertised them on line. I got a bunch of would be joy riders, tire kickers and google mechanics telling me what they heard my stuff was worth. I wound up auctioning them all off when I sold my business and made what I would have made spending months selling them online. I recently sold a motorcycle windscreen to some guy on a forum. He insisted on meeting me at my house. But he gave off a creepy vibe so I told him I'd meet him halfway. After meeting him, he had some "issues". He did buy the windscreen, but I'm glad I didn't have him over to the house.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Selling stuff to private parties is not what it used to be.
There it is in a nutshell.

I mean, wow! Wow!...the scary, dumb, criminal, crazy, dirty, drugged-up human debris walking around out there...good golly....the "People of WalMart" are becoming the majority.

Sams Club wants to steal Costco's customer base...the shoppers with 6 figure household incomes...so Sams remodels the stores to look like Costco, starts selling very upscale items such as Wagyu Beef...But the one, CRITICAL, thing Sams overlooks is CUSTOMER SERVICE!

My Sams club, half of the staff looks like they're out of a National Geographic article of some third world nation. The Snack Bar, flies everywhere, employees not bothered one bit...feels like home to them apparently. The other employees look like the bottle and cigs are their forms of entertainment off work. You should see the people Sams put in charge of helping you select your ~$40/lb Wagyu cuts of beef...lol...nope. That whole "service" island of top end meats and seafood was a gigantic failure...they finally gave up and now it's "self serve" of a much smaller selection of items that mostly end up in the "reduced for quick sale" bin...LOL...I'm eating Wagyu for $12 a pound...nice work Sams!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Where do people live? I live in a suburban area and it's not particularly affluent but I have not noticed the dramatic demographic changes that you're seeing. Yes, plenty of people are flakes and I've had lots of people waste my time, when I've tried to sell online. However, as a female, I'm more concerned about meeting an adult male somewhere than I am about his safety. A guy telling me to bring cash and meet him at some neutral location does not scream safety to me.

I have to sell a dirt bike that I bought recently. I replaced the battery and it runs fine now. The guy I bought it from scammed me, lying about the year, condition, and, obviously the battery. I didn't go back to his house and kidnap his kids.
When I sell the bike myself, I won't have a choice. I don't own a trailer, so I'd have to sell it out of my yard. Am I supposed to buy a shotgun and brandish it, while a potential buyer checks the bike out?

Anyway, it seems that the consensus is that everyone in today's society is paranoid and believe that they're justified in being that way.
So, everybody today goes around thinking that everyone else is a criminal? No wonder people are so ignorant and nasty.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That whole "service" island of top end meats and seafood was a gigantic failure...they finally gave up and now it's "self serve" of a much smaller selection of items that mostly end up in the "reduced for quick sale" bin...LOL...I'm eating Wagyu for $12 a pound...nice work Sams!
I'm a vegetarian. What is Wagyu?
Also, I did some research recently, for a grad school course and what you're stating does not align with the statistics.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Where do people live? I live in a suburban area and it's not particularly affluent but I have not noticed the dramatic demographic changes that you're seeing.

Anyway, it seems that the consensus is that everyone in today's society is paranoid and believe that they're justified in being that way.
So, everybody today goes around thinking that everyone else is a criminal? No wonder people are so ignorant and nasty.
Lutheran Social Services and Catholic Charities are both VERY aggressive locally at bringing in "immigrants"...people with ZERO skills to succeed in, or add to, our society. The bulk end up on welfare and living in slumlord buildings..day after day, after day, the latest robbery, murder, whatever in the news in not committed by John Smith.

"immigrants" moved in next to an old friend of mine...a once lovely house now looks abandoned..and the other day he called the police because they LITERALLY had a chopping block in the back yard and were taking the heads off turkeys they had bought somewhere...this is in a residential area! I drove by a slum complex and there was an open fire with some animal hanging from a chain cooking...good lord.

Apparently you live a sheltered life...head to Chicago, or Jacksonville, or give San Francisco a visit...in SF, they have an app where you can report human feces on the sidewalk and they'll send out a poop crew to clean it up.

"San Francisco has a 'Poop Patrol' to deal with its feces problem, and workers make more than $184,000 a year in salary and benefits"

The full budget for the initiative, $830,977, signifies a concerted effort to address the city's mounting (human) feces problem, which has resulted in more than 14,500 calls to 311

https://www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-poop-patrol-employees-make-184000-a-year-2018-8

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I live fairly close to a major city but I don’t think the influx of immigrants is as great. However, are there many immigrants listing items for sale online? Or, do they own cell phones and computers that allow them to answer ads and commit crimes?

·
1,251 Posts
Yeah, I'm with Nancy on this one, I think you're focusing on the wrong part of this situation. What's wrong with the title?

You're right it's unsafe to be a buyer. But it's also unsafe to be a woman seller as well. I don't think everyone is a criminal. I don't think everyone is dishonest. It's not paranoia to want safety for yourself by not meeting a buyer in a private place. People get murdered or robbed during online transactions all the time.

Father robbed, murdered during Craigslist transaction - Story | FOX 13 Tampa Bay

https://www-m.cnn.com/2015/01/27/us...-charges/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

So the guy says he doesn't want to meet at his home? No problem, meet at the police station.

Reactions: MGRIDER
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.