Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have a `89 zxr250 and it willnot select second gear while standing still. i cant ride until i get my licence ( like 2 days ), but when i bought the bike 2 weeks ago it went through all gears while running. is this normal or could the selector inside the casing be gone? ( i have had that on an earlier bike )
Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
That's not really strange at all. When it's sitting still, there's no way for the teeth to mesh, so you can be putting tooth to tooth instead of tooth to groove. Some bikes have to move a little to change gears (roll forward, rock band and forth, etc.), others need you to work the clutch a little. In any case, you do that so that the gears have a chance to line up (tooth to grove) and engage. Also, if your oil's old, it can (and will) make your tranny feel notchy, which is actually what this same problem, just not as bad. Lots of people have had good luck with Amsoil solving notchiness and meshing problems.

So long as you don't have problems shifting when rolling, it's not popping out of gear, and it's not grinding, it's nothing to worry about. It's more of a quirk than a problem.

Si

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried rocking back and forth and using the clutch but it still only goes into first, but it does select back into neutral, i was gonna put it in for service next week anyway i guess i'll have to do it sooner.
thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys,
not too worried about the shifing now, ( although it would come in handy if i have to clutch it) got bigger probs it cut out while riding and now it wont start. i have spark in all 4 cyls but just wont start. could be carbie not too enthusiastic about opening them up. ones enough trouble let alone 4!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts