Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your engine is seized the wheels won't turn, correct? Unless you pull in the clutch? But how do you determine this considering bikes don't roll in first gear anyway?

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
The wheel will turn if the transmission is in neutral without disengaging the clutch; it should roll in any gear while the clutch is disengaged, but there may be some resistance due to some stickiness of the oil on the clutch.

What exactly are you asking - how to determine if the engine is seized? The most direct way is to take the side cover of the engine off, usually the one opposite the clutch, where the flywheel rotor is. The center bolt of the flywheel can be used to turn the crankshaft.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Have you ever 'walked' with your motorcycle pushing it along? It moves along just fine even though the engine isn't running, correct? It would be the same if the engine were seized.

The "easiest" way to figure out if the engine is seized is to try & start it. If the engine won't turn over at all, then it is probably seized.

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Need more input.

Typically a two stroke engine will have the piston seize in the bore due to too lean a mixture of either petrol or oil.
The road racers of old would always have two fingers on the clutch, just in case. But as happened to me, the engine seized as I was going around a corner. That seizure was from a piece coming off the end of the crank and jamming against an engine case.
Sometimes a gearbox will seize, or a primary chain will jam and seize the engine.
Maybe a bearing in the middle gear drive seized.
Or are you talking about a motor that has been sitting outside for a few years with the spark plug out.

I certainly need more input before any reasonable response from me.
Then of course there is a brain freeze.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If you asking if you can turn your own engine over to find out if it is seized, them I have to tell you that you are extremely naive(pronounced Ny-eev).
that means you take alot for granted.
I would say what you want to hear is why your engine might be seized when the clutch is pulled in it will still roll.
physics explains that when a power is relieved, that the power will remain for a while. because power is a dirivative of multiple actions. Assuming that you rode fast for a long distance and then your engine seized, would the reaction be worse or better?
I would say worse than if you were coasting with your clutch in. When your engine turns over, it must make multiple rotations before it is driving horse power. I guess newtons law, every action has an opposite and equal reaction. says its best about 6000 rpm. From Frozen to 6000 is about a year, if you know that you are doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Need more input.

Typically a two stroke engine will have the piston seize in the bore due to too lean a mixture of either petrol or oil.
The road racers of old would always have two fingers on the clutch, just in case. But as happened to me, the engine seized as I was going around a corner. That seizure was from a piece coming off the end of the crank and jamming against an engine case.
Sometimes a gearbox will seize, or a primary chain will jam and seize the engine.
Maybe a bearing in the middle gear drive seized.
Or are you talking about a motor that has been sitting outside for a few years with the spark plug out.

I certainly need more input before any reasonable response from me.
Then of course there is a brain freeze.

1. Unkle Crusty, I must apologize for jumping in this conversation, but I also have a probable seized engine on my 2009 Honda Rebel 250. It has 14,000 miles on it. The bike was well kept and well maintnanced untill this past year. I neglected it by not properly checking the oil (and it did run low a few times, low meaning a half of quart once on a 2 hour ride and it should have been changed around 3000 miles ago, anyway, I pulled it in to my kitchen last fall but did nothing to it until today. So I emptied the gas tank, rinsed it with gas treatment dtied it put it back. I also put a new battery, new plugs, and changed the oil. I tried to turn the motor over a little for the oil change but it wouldn't turn, at all. i thought maybe new battery a little weak, so I tried rolling it off. I rolled it off alot last year, thats why the new battery this year. No matter what gear or how fast I was rolling, every time I released the clutch it would act as if I hit the back break. The back wheel would not roll at all not even an inch. I am a 54 years old woman and could fast walk it and it would start easily last year. So I am left to believe the engine is seized. MY QUESTION IS. What should I do next? I am familiar with basic repair and want to do this " right", I don't however have much knowledge about the internal parts of an engine. But based on your previous response, I was hoping for some advice if you would be so kind. I apologise for the length of this message, but I thought the leaset I could offer was the history detail so that it might offer some insight on the situation. Thank you so much for even considering it. My name is Traci Bunch I live in Tennessee Thank you again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unkle Crusty, I recently tried to reply to your conversation, but I apparantly posted it wrong, it should've been here, not added to your last post, but it did, please respond soon thank you,Traci Bunch (first time ever posting to forum loke this)

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Traci, this is an old post started in 2015. The OP got some good info except for #5. Did you post an introduction? UK

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, I did not, I realy don't know what I'm doing on this, it will take me some trial and error time to figure this discussion forum out but Thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts