Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Suzuki Intruder 800 that has developed a weird problem. It will run fine for about 30 minutes then it acts like it runs out of gas. It will die even with it on reserve and just dies. Lights stay on and I have to coast to the side of the road. If I sit for a few minutes it will start and run rough or it will start and run fine for another 30 minutes. New fuel pump, just had carbs done and valves serviced. Runs great except for it dies

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Reading your post, my first thought was "fuel pump". Did you get a new fuel pump, or did you get a new re-built fuel pump?
I'd still test that "new" pump before eliminating it as part of the problem.
Make sure fuel filter (if equipped) isn't clogged up too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I don’t have a fuel filter (yet) and have another fuel pump I can try out just to make sure

·
Zip
2,521 Posts
When it dies, open the gas cap and see if it then starts running right. If so,then you have a problem with the vent in the gas tank. I don't know how the venting works on your bike; some bikes have the vent in the gas cap while other have separate vent lines in the tank.

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
Removing and reinstalling the tank can easily kink the fuel line, just enough that the pump isn't strong enough; something to check. Old fuel lines can partially collapse, too.
There are fine screens at the inlets of the carbs that can get clogged, which are often overlooked.
Also, the petcock has a fine screen above it, in the tank; bad gas and debris can clog it over time, too.

One more thing: check the Voltage at the battery and maybe clean all the connectors, including the connection of heavy black ground cable at the frame. This engine runs on battery power, and a drain to the battery that the generator isn't overcoming the discharge will cause the engine to die. The Voltage with the key off should be 12.6V, or a bit higher, and with the key on, no less than 12.4V, or your battery is getting weak. At idle, depending on your meter, the battery should be over 13V; because of how the charging system works, some meters have problems with the actual measurements, but the Voltage should rise some if you rev the engine. Look for the connector between the stator and rectifier/regulator, the one with three yellow wires; if it is discolored or burnt, your charging system will begin to fail.

·
Visionary
5,266 Posts
I'd start with the suggestion above to remove the gas cap when it acts up and see if the problem goes away. If it does then it's a simple vent issue.

Reactions: WintrSol

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
Yeah, the non-California models have a little ball in the vent, to prevent spillage in the event the bike went down. I don't know if it ever worked, but the ball can cause problems if it gets sticky in there. It can be taken apart and cleaned, if that is the problem. Cali models are a different story, of course

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,519 Posts
Tank vent was my first thought as well.

·
Ace Tuner
3,522 Posts
I can not remember if you can get to the fuel bowl drain screw on the front carburetor because the tank might be in the way.??
Heck, I can't even remember if you can get to the rear carb drain screw.
But...
If you can get to one of them you could open the drain screw as soon as the bike dies to check for the presence of fuel.
Then you'll know for sure if it is a fuel starvation problem. (Unless the drain spigot is plugged that is).

S F

1 - 9 of 9 Posts