Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bad case of PMS:

Parked Motorcycle Syndrome

What is it about the open road that calls to us, that heals us, that fills that inner need to get out, to go.

No matter what is going on in my life, a few hours, or a day out on the bike and I'm a new man, ready to re-face the challenges. My mind clears, my confidence returns, nothing can faze me after putting 100 miles under the helmet.

It doesn't matter if its beautiful or if it's raining. At some point its simply TIME TO GO.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
It's called being single focused(survival) instead of being bombarded 6 ways from Sunday of everyday issues.

For me though there's more. It's the ONLY time I'm not in pain. Or maybe that's it for everyone. Pain can be different for different people. Life issues can be painful. So maybe we all benefit from those short times of not being in pain.

·
On The Road Again!
3,845 Posts
I know the feeling. I took a "mental health" day off today.
Had some errands to run, so I took the Goldwing out. Managed to put another 45 miles or so on the bike.
Felt MUCH better when I got back!

·
8,599 Posts
I have asked myself literally thousands of times, why I enjoy riding as often as I can, since I got my first street license in December 1962, riding a new 1962 Honda C110, 50cc Honda till now, 79 bikes later, enjoying my new 2012 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster and I still don't have an answer that 'Gentiles' would understand:biggrin:

Aside from the commute to work and back or the utility of the bike for short errands, what makes me look outside and say: "Should I take the pickup or the bike?" Temperature, weather nor how I feel has little to do with the decision as it's not really rational but all things being equal, I end up riding the bike:p

Obviously, at least to me, bike riding is a form of subliminal therapy that can calm the savage beast in me and make me feel better about life and even make me feel better physically or at least allow me to forget about my problems for a while.

The comment : "I'm going for a little ride," is one my wonderful wife of 40+ years understands and applauds, never, ever giving me any trouble about. I am very lucky.

I have more thoughts on this but I must get to work!

Sam:biggrin:

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Last night was the first time in a long time I wished I was driving a car instead of riding home. I got what I think is food poisoning that hit me with 1 hour left in my shift, which I spent in the bathroom.

I was feeling like I wasn't at the worst of it yet, and decided to ride home instead of wait potentially an hour and a half for my wife to come pick me up then wait another hour and a half for us to get home, then have to go back and pick up the bike the next day.

I didn't make it but 30 minutes before I threw up in my helmet. I will spare you the gory details but with a face mask on that was one of the most disgusting experiences of my life, especially the remaining 30 mins. I went straight for the shower when I walked in the door.

·
8,599 Posts
Wow man, I hope you are feeling better! The image of puke in a full face helmet is UGLY;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Last night was the first time in a long time I wished I was driving a car instead of riding home. I got what I think is food poisoning that hit me with 1 hour left in my shift, which I spent in the bathroom.

I was feeling like I wasn't at the worst of it yet, and decided to ride home instead of wait potentially an hour and a half for my wife to come pick me up then wait another hour and a half for us to get home, then have to go back and pick up the bike the next day.

I didn't make it but 30 minutes before I threw up in my helmet. I will spare you the gory details but with a face mask on that was one of the most disgusting experiences of my life, especially the remaining 30 mins. I went straight for the shower when I walked in the door.
Hope you are feeling better today, looking for a new helmet?

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
There are indeed times when getting out and going for a ride is exactly the right prescription. The downside is the symptoms manifest mostly in inclement winter weather. As long as the road conditions are safe I'll bundle up and ride, but it's not nearly as satisfying as when I can just ride in jeans and a t-shirt. :icon_cool:

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Ha! I was about to post that exact item.:thumbsup:

·
Roamer
176 Posts
Hope you're feeling better, Rob! I got food poisoning about 8 years ago from seaweed in a Korean restaurant. One of the worst experiences of my life. I haven't been able to eat Korean, let alone seaweed, since. Even watching cooking shows where they are cooking a Korean dish turns my stomach.

Not sure what it is about riding. I got home Sunday late night from a 6 hour drive and as soon as I woke up Monday morning I was jonesing for a ride. Many layers (brrrrrr Chicago) and a few hours later I felt much calmer and ready to tackle the rest of to-do's for the day.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
For me, riding clears my head. Whenever I get the fuzzies, hop on the bike and it clears those nasty critters right out. I found a pair of chaps at a thrift shop a few weeks ago, tag still on, for a whopping 10 bucks. I couldn't believe it, snatched them right up. Haven't put the bike away yet, and haven't even begun to think about it yet. This time last year, bike was put away. I'm riding that sucker till the snow flies this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts