Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My moped has lost a bit of oomph. It is a Peugeot SpeedFight 4 125CC. It is (was) a pocket rocket. It (did) get up to to 62mph without any trouble (and I am 100kg).

But, at the moment it is only getting to about 56mph... maybe 58mph downhill.
Pull away is not as nippy either. Feels a bit ummmm "sludgy".

And.. It is running hot.

When I measure the oil, the oil is almost to the top of the entire dipstick. (you measure it with the dipstick just rested in - not screwed in).

Oil is leaking out the oil filler tube (i.e. where the dipstick is) if I ride the bike. Not good.

Instant diagnoses is "Way way way too much oil". BUT... i have drained the oil (left it for ages) and refilled with 900ml (manual says to do 1000ml).... And it is still reading "Way too high". I read that, if it did have excess oil, this would be shoved out the air filter. But this is not happening. It's almost like the oil is stuck "in the filler pipe" and not getting to the engine ... That's what my untrained, unknowledgeable brain deduces. But I don't know.

I don't know what to do. All the bike places near me only seem to work on big big bikes. I am nervous to ride it in this condition and I want to go up to London (100mile round trip) in a couple of weeks. And I am not confident to do that with the bike not 100%.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, insights or opinions (obviously moped related LOL) are very welcome.

Thank you so much.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
25,201 Posts
Better take a whiff of the oil. You may be sucking fuel into it. That’s my first thought anyway.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,133 Posts
I agree with Hog, are you using a lot more gas than before?

Reactions: ActiveAdam

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the responses. Sorry for my slow reply.

Fuel consumption... Ummmm I am not 100% sure to be honest. I have not ridden it throughout winter.

So... I am assuming that the oil will smell of petrol???

What are the implications if it does??

·
25,201 Posts
Gasoline in oil makes the oil ineffective as a lubricant and a lot of bad things can happen then. You got to do some investigation but one source can be a stuck float in the carburator. That's a good place to start anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heya.... Thanks for the help.

Soooo.... I have drained the oil. Almost exactly 1ltr came out. I have put 1litre of new oil in.

Oil that came out seemed "OK"... not too dark. No smell of petrol. No foaming.

Ran engine for a few mins

Let it settle for a few mins

Engine Oil is still "way the dipstick"

So, I am guessing the oil is not getting round the engine??? somehow??

Or... the manual is wrong and 1ltr of oil is actually too much?

Or.... something else?

Really grateful for you assistance.

:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also.... what do you reckon? Do I risk riding it to a repair shop 10miles away? I may have found someone to look at it.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Engine Oil is still "way the dipstick"
So, I am guessing the oil is not getting round the engine??? somehow??
The engine has an oil pump. I suppose if the oil was not getting into the pump and not being pushed through everywhere that might account for the incorrect level showing on the dip stick. If the oil filter is changed that also might contain a volume of oil. When you change oil without changing the filter the owners manuals usually specify adding a lesser amount of oil to accommodate the old oil that remains in the filter.

One, it would be wise to confirm your engine has oil pressure happening where it needs it, the alternative is that the engine will seize and destroy itself otherwise.
Two, how much oil do you actually need to drain out to make it the correct level on the dip stick? That is how much oil or space for oil is missing inside the crankcase right now. Measure it and possibly that excess oil volume will relate to something.

·
25,201 Posts
As to riding it to someone to look at it, I don’t think I would risk it. Whatever is making the noise might be corrected with just a little expense. But if you ride it and it truly blows, you are looking at much greater expense. Haul it there or talk the guy into dropping by on his way home. Six pack might do the trick. No harm in trying.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys... I will look in the manual re: Oil Pump. And Oil Filter.

I am not sure why but I find the whole "engine" thing weird. I understand it all in theory. But then I look at the bike and am just like, "Nope... nothing makes sense."

I will look at the manual again.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Trials.... Mine is the 125cc.... and the manual defo says 1ltre BUT, I didn't take into account for any oil in the filter etc as above. There doesn't seem to be much info/manuals/videos for the Speedfight 4 125cc at all. I used to have a Yamaha years ago and had the full Haines manual which made life a LOT easier....

I am going to take a look now in the owner manual and see what it says....

Will keep you posted.
Thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well... I just wanted to let you all know that I decided to get rid of the 125cc and upgrade slightly to a 250cc Yamaha xmax....

I a very pleased with it. Although I feel this bike is also "running hot"... tonnes of click-tick-tick-clicking and "smells hot" once I stop .... But I am not sure if that is just me being paranoid.

Anyway.... nice pic below... Went up to London on it and back (about 40mile each way) the other day and it was great to ride.

Although, I am thinking... maybe I need to go bigger next year.... Could do with some additional comfort in my old age LOL

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,133 Posts
Where are you that you 'go up' to London? My wife was born in Sittingborne,

·
25,201 Posts
tonnes of click-tick-tick-clicking and "smells hot"
Most likely metal expanding and contracting from the exhaust system. That may never go away but watch for bolts getting loose. If it's new or fairly new it will smell hot. That may go away or you'll just get used to it. Looks like a very capable bike to commute with too. (y)

Reactions: ActiveAdam

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks hogcowboy.... Yeah... I think it is the "hot smell" I always worry about... but I am thinking I am just got used to driving cars and, with all their 'bits' tucked away under the hood/bonnet, you don't smell the 'heat' as much as with a bike?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Critter... I am almost exactly to opposite side of London to Sittingbourne... (a fine place!)... I am on the west side out towards Reading/Newbury/Basingstoke way... A quick jaunt up the M3 eastwards to London. It would be quicker if it wasn't for the traffic, roadworks and the endless 40mph speed limits :)

Even on the main motorway when there was actually no roadworks or speed limit imposed, I stuck to 60mph and the bike felt nice and solid. It can nip up to 70 or 80mph fairly easy but I thought, as I hadn't been on the motorway in a long time on a bike, I would take it easy. And enjoy the sunshine...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts