Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at the gym yesterday just sitting on my bike waiting for the engine to warm up when I noticed a dad and two little boys probably aged three and five looking at my bike. speed test
I had my earplugs in so didn’t know what they were saying but the boys were soooo into my bike. showbox
I waved at them and eventually they left but the little one kept on looking back and couldn’t get his eyes off my bike. I revved the engine a tiny bit and set off. He was mesmerised. A biker in the making. :) usps tracking

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I've had the same experience, but I think it was their amazement that someone as old as I am was riding a motorcycle! The real shame is that too few young people seem to have any interest in riding a motorcycle. When I was a teenager, the idea of having a motorcycle was the coolest thing possible since jet packs were not yet a real thing. As a young man myself, now married and with a couple of young kids, my wife was adamant against me getting a motorcycle. But I never forgot that yearning, so one day I just bought one and while things were a bit frosty at home for a few days, it all worked out well in the end. I was already by then in my early 40's and have been riding ever since (I'm now almost 77). But even though one of my five children had a motorcycle for a few years, now none of them have any interest at all. Worse, not a one of my 12 grandchildren has ever shown an interest, even when I pushed the issue and asked if they would just like to go for a ride with Grandpa. I think that their parents had already beat me to the punch and indoctrinated them into being afraid of motorcycles. So if any little kids ever show any interest in the future, I will surely do what I can to ignite that spark in them.

Reactions: Doc Samson

·
Registered
62 Posts
I remember showing up to thanksgiving on my bike, big family lots of kids. The only thing that will make me rev up my cold engine is when kids ask me to. Warms my heart to know that kids nowadays are interested in more than just playing video games. Although I think many of my family members hate me for how interested their kids are in my what they see as a death trap Kawasaki Ninja 636, I did my best to explain that this is not what you should be buying as a first bike lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had the same experience, but I think it was their amazement that someone as old as I am was riding a motorcycle! The real shame is that too few young people seem to have any interest in riding a motorcycle. When I was a teenager, the idea of having a motorcycle was the coolest thing possible since jet packs were not yet a real thing. As a young man myself, now married and with a couple of young kids, my wife was adamant against me getting a motorcycle. But I never forgot that yearning, so one day I just bought one and while things were a bit frosty at home for a few days, it all worked out well in the end. I was already by then in my early 40's and have been riding ever since (I'm now almost 77). But even though one of my five children had a motorcycle for a few years, now none of them have any interest at all. Worse, not a one of my 12 grandchildren has ever shown an interest, even when I pushed the issue and asked if they would just like to go for a ride with Grandpa. I think that their parents had already beat me to the punch and indoctrinated them into being afraid of motorcycles. So if any little kids ever show any interest in the future, I will surely do what I can to ignite that spark in them.
Even when they don’t openly show interest it doesn’t mean they don’t want one I’ll say that. My best friend was like that and on a whim when he totaled his car he purchased a brand new ninja 400. His dad was always on cruisers and never could get him to show interest. Sometimes it’s the right bike that is key. I personally had little interest till I was 10 years old and met my moms side of the family for the first time. My grandpa had a 2001 Sportster that he let me ride as a passenger on. I wouldn’t have any further experience with motorcycles for another 7 years.

As for OP. It’s always good to see kids showing interest.

·
Very Famous Person
10,002 Posts
--

I imagine part of the reason is today there are so many distractions in life for most kids, that bikes are just a small sample of what's out there. When I was a kid in the 50s we had two main things we could do. One was sports and the other was cars. Nowadays kids have all these electronic marvels to play with. I mean, how often do you see a kid without some little do-dad in his hand playing around? Then also occupying their time are t.v., videos (even on phones), and computers. We weren't raised with any of that stuff. We made our own fun. Rare is the family that engages in the sports scene together.

--

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have 2 kids 16 and 14. Years ago and before kids I had an accident with my wife on the back of my bike, I was fine but she got 14 stitches in her knee cap. When the kids were born she stated that the kids could ride/be passengers on a bike when they could vote(18years old) I kept her calm and agreed. I wish now that I put up a fight. Both kids have no interest in cars or bikes I think the sport loses something when kids can't be exposed to it young. I rode a neighbour's home built mini bike when I was around 8 it only had a pull start lawnmower engine but I was hooked.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Last Sunday my son and I rode in to Eureka Springs. He had his son riding with him and I had my older granddaughter riding with me. It was a bit cool out, but there was a lot of pedestrian traffic. Every little bit my son would blip his throttle and it did cause some people to look.

My granddaughter said "Uncle Eric is scaring people", what attracted more attention, I think, is that when we were suiting up to ride "Uncle Eric" put one of those skull face masks on each one of the kids. People were looking at the little monsters riding with us!

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
LOL!! Every time I see someone riding with one of those dopey face masks, I think "Is it Halloween already?", or "What kind of dork would ride around looking like that?".
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
My wife's first grade students have fun with the fact that they have the cool teacher who rides to school most days. She always takes the time to show them her bike and talk about it once in a while at recess etc. She hopes she is planting a seed in some of them, especially the girls, who might never consider riding otherwise.

Funniest first grader conversation was from last year...one little girl in her class came up to her at the end of the day and asked her this...
" Mr's Stewart, is there something wrong with your car?"
"No, my car is fine, why do you ask"
"How come you always ride your motorcycle then?"
" Because I like to ride it"
" Oh, OK"

I guess she didn't get it! ...I'm guessing one of her parents had to ride a bike when their car was broken and that was where this got started.

Reactions: Uxbridge Brule
1 - 12 of 12 Posts