Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of my job includes managing storage lockers/sheds/units. I talked my boss into investing in a nice security cam system, and it is nice:) But, this last late fall we had 2 break ins. The cameras did their job well. The problem is that even with a description of the vehicle, make, model, plate number, there is no guarantee that anyone will get their stuff back. I would rather not have the break in problem in the first place then have to dig through hrs of video, filing police reports blah blah blah. At the moment we do not have any signs saying that our facility is under 24hr surveillance. I think that if we posted a 24hr surveillance sign it would detour most if not all break ins. My boss thinks that if we post a sign then the thieves will mess with the cameras or other parts of the system. The cams that we have are very tough, they display them at trade shows with a hammer and allow people to hit the cam with it, they can take a beating. Anyway...what do you think?

Do you think a 24hr surveillance sign would detour crime or do you think it would put the system at risk? Or maybe another thought...

·
American Legion Rider
18,563 Posts
There is something to the use of signs. Most say crooks can't read anyway but then one of the first things Security services do is install stickers on windows or put up a sign saying the property is alarmed. Don't think they'd waste money in advertising a property is alarmed if it didn't help deter.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Most burglars and robbers aren't too concerned with getting caught on tape. It's low on the list of things they are afraid of. In retail locations, the cameras are mainly there to catch employees stealing or otherwise misbehaving (and they catch a lot of them).

Criminals are very lazy for the most part, and generally will gravitate to the point of lowest resistance. If there are cameras at one location and not at another, they will choose whatever is easiest.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I was employed by an electrical utility for years and was their go-to person for video surveillance, both overt and covert. We always posted signs, sometimes we posted signs were there weren't actually cameras, because the signs themselves were a deterrent.

We always mounted cameras where the bad guys would have a very difficult time getting at them and the video recorder was ALWAYS located in a secure or hidden location. In many cases, the video recorder was located off-site and the signs said so. By the time the bad guys got to a camera, their image had already been captured and recorded somewhere else. Copper thieves seldom got away with it where we have video!

I had gasoline thefts from machinery parked on my rural property until I put up signs saying there was video surveillance about 10 years ago, at which point the thefts stopped even before I got the camera installed. The camera is 20 feet up a hydro pole in the middle of the yard, conspicuous as hell, and I haven't had a problem since.

(By law and union agreements we were only allowed to deploy covert video where we had reason to believe a crime was being committed, usually by an employee. In those cases, the cameras, wiring, and recording devices were all hidden. With today's technology, video surveillance literally becomes invisible. )

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
I used to volunteer at a rescue mission where security cameras were used to monitor attempts at smuggling in booze or drugs. On one occasion the outside cameras captured a couple of thieves breaking into vehicles on the neighboring property. So outside cameras might have some benefit beyond their intended area of coverage.

As far as signage, the mission had both signs and guests were notified about the camera surveillance when they signed in. It did help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts