Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So I bought my first bike this weekend and will take delivery on it sometime in the next week or so (still working out licensing and MSF classes before I start in on it). I bought a 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750.

I'm going to be using it to get to and from work here in Chicago. I've got a monthly parking garage spot, but it is a public garage and I'm concerned about security.

What are people's thoughts on effective security for bikes? Is a heavy chain through the spokes with an alarmed pad lock enough? Should I really invest in an alarm system?

What are your thoughts and concerns?

Thanks in advance,

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
The advice I got awhile ago was that if a thief wants to steal your bike, they can steal your bike. So for chain through the spokes, it will make it hard for 1 or 2 people to steal it, but 3 or 4 guys with a truck can just pick it up and drive off in minutes.

As for the alarm, when I was looking up insurance quotes it didn't really save that much money if I quoted having an active alarm vs no alarm. So if you have full coverage it might be cheaper to just let them steal it, of course premiums will go up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah - my insurance doesn't care about the alarms (nor the MSF class oddly enough). The garage does have video cameras as a deterrent.

Have there been instances of people picking up cruiser bikes like that? I could see it with a more compact sport bike, but I would think a cruiser would be more difficult to move like that... then again, I'm still just trying to educate myself.

Thanks!

·
A nice guy,...really..why are you laughing?
454 Posts
There is a lock that goes on your brake disc but the chain fills the same purpose,as for an alarm system it depends on where you park.
Is the garage monitered at all? is there an attendant?
In my opinion I would make sure I have good insurance and go with what you have already,'cause if they want it bad enough,they're gonna take it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, there is an attendant watching the security cameras around the garage. It looks like there have been 4 bikes stolen in the area in the past year (this also includes scooters and any two wheeled vehicle with a VIN).

I was thinking of getting a lock that has an alarm if it is moved just so it would attract attention if someone did try and mess with it...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I've been told to park in well lit areas and not to try to hide it...not in the back of the lot somewhere. Park where people will see it, passer byers, don't give thieves a private place to work.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
If I were to invest in an alarm, it would be a shock / motion detecting alarm that notifies a fob that I carry into the office with me. That won't stop a theft, but it can at least give you a heads up that something's happening. It also lets you know when some dumbass is sitting on your bike.

Combine that with a good set of disc locks. IMO they're harder to tamper with than a chain, which a chop saw or good set of cutters can make quick work of. If they're gonna steal it, at least make them work for it (lifting vs. rolling). And you'll be notified while they're working.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'll invest in one of the Xena disc locks - thanks for the tip Frag.

I agree with you cbdallas - I understand if someone wants to take it, they'll take it, but I just want to make it more difficult. Plus if the alarm is going off I would hope the attendant would give me a call.

I think I'll hold off on the notifying alarms (eventually I'll get one)...

Thank you to everyone for your advice!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
All locks, of any kind, do is to keep an honest man honest,,,
Crooks are going to get your bike if they really want it and there's not a lock made that'll stop 'em.
Have good insurance, park in a highly visible area, install a hidden kill switch.
Beyond that....Pray!!

CD

·
Gone
23,903 Posts
Look into getting Lojack for your bike. If it gets stolen, hopefully it will help make it easier to find.
Lojack only covers a small section of the country. Check and see if your local police support the Lojack system before shelling out the money for one. It doesn't do any good if the police don't have the equipment to track it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.