Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you secure your helmet to your bike when you make stop? I'm thinking about trying a gun lock that I have several of. It's pretty much a padlock with a cable instead of a heavy short metal loop. Thinking about using that to secure it to the passenger backrest. So far, my tow stops I've just carried it in with me but I'll be going to an event where I'll do some walking around.

·
On The Road Again!
4,341 Posts
I just put the helmet in the trunk on my Goldwing.
If the trunk is full, there are two helmet hangers under the rear of the trunk.
In your case, they make helmet locks that bolt on to the bike. You might need to buy one of those.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bags don't lock and it wouldn't fit anyway. I'll Amazon for one. Do you just stuff your jacket and gloves in the bags?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Since I started riding again a few years ago, I started attending a few motorcycle events.

Since I didn't have any means of securing my helmet, I carried it. Then I noticed that many bikes had helmets hanging from them, unsecured, so I just hung mine from the handlebar and went about enjoying the show. At the very large Motoblot event this past summer, attended by thousands, I saw LOTs of bikes with leathers draped over them, helmets hanging from them, everything unsecured. I would have never thought that in a place like Chicago such a thing would be done, but it was and it is, and to me, it really made a point about the nature of the community here.

I've started leaving my helmet hanging unsecured in a variety of parking situations. Admittedly, .... it's not the most desirable looking helmet. Another factor: Illinois doesn't require us to wear brain buckets, so I can always ride home irritated, but legal, if it should be stolen. Just gotta keep my shades in my pocket.

·
On The Road Again!
4,341 Posts
My bags don't lock and it wouldn't fit anyway. I'll Amazon for one. Do you just stuff your jacket and gloves in the bags?
The older Goldwings like mine have BIIIIG saddlebags and trunk.
Yes, everything goes inside.
I often go grocery shopping with the bike.
I can fit at least six bags of groceries in there.
People at the store look at me in amazement as I load up bags of stuff.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
How do you secure your helmet to your bike when you make stop? I'm thinking about trying a gun lock that I have several of. It's pretty much a padlock with a cable instead of a heavy short metal loop. Thinking about using that to secure it to the passenger backrest. So far, my tow stops I've just carried it in with me but I'll be going to an event where I'll do some walking around.
Maybe you can find a lock that would work at this site.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I like your idea about using a gun lock. I don't usually secure anything to the bike and the only time I've carried my helmet is at some fast food places where I just didn't "feel" right.

I've left my helmet and leathers unsecured on my bike at Bikes, Blues and BBQ several times and no one has ever bothered anything. I've come to feel my "stuff" is safer around other bikers than the general public.

(Probably because other people have better stuff than me.) :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
.. I carry it looped around the rear luggage rack or grab bars, depending on which bike I am riding. It can serve several functions. I can lock the helmet to the bike, even a jacket if I run it down the sleeve, and I can loop it around a wheel and the frame to secure the bike itself. A dedicated thief could defeat it easily enough, but it would take some time, and especially during daylight hours when I just hop off to go inside a store or something it gives me a good level of security. At least no kid's going to run off with my gear.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Still new to this.
I tend to carry it in with me when I stop, must be my lack of faith in my fellow man, women or other.
I see some people just leave them on the ground by the bike. I also spotted some riders use a simple bicycle lock.
So I got a combination bicycle lock. (Keys have been a problem recently) Which I use it depending upon location and time away.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I use a coated motorcycle coil cable and lock similar to the one in the photo. It coils up small and expands to either 3' or 6', depending on which one you buy. They're available in all kinds of color's, sizes and configurations. I have a 3' and I use it to lock my helmet and jacket to the bike by running it thru the sleeve of the jacket.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I'm sure that it happens, but how often do helmets get stolen? Right now I can't remember hearing about a stolen helmet. Five minutes from now I might suddenly remember hearing about one, but not at the moment.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
We don't usually lock our helmets. If we're parked in an area with lots of bikes, usually someone has an eye on them. And one would need to be pretty bold to grab a helmet while someone is watching.... But if I know I'm going somewhere that I'll be far away from my bike for extended periods of time or I have one of my better helmets with a cam or Bluetooth, I'll bring a tail bag along just to stash my helmet in. Most thieves are lazy opportunists and they'll grab/run with the easy pickings rather then taking the risk of getting caught while foraging though bags.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
I'm sure that it happens, but how often do helmets get stolen? Right now I can't remember hearing about a stolen helmet. Five minutes from now I might suddenly remember hearing about one, but not at the moment.
I caught a guy walking out of a bar wearing my new snowmobile helmet once, back in the days when we used to have our names painted on them. He was nice enough to leave his busted up helmet with a broken shield in it's place. And I was nice enough to take him outside to teach him the error of his ways, without calling the Sheriff. After I made him take off my new helmet, of course. :wink2:

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
I think the smell of the liner would be enough to deter theft, at least in the San Antonio summer!
Think again. We even have a guy here that prefers the rancid things. The more the better he claims. I don't get it he certainly isn't out the big bucks either.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts