Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been riding for 5 months now and Im moving up to a larger bike. I started on a 2013 CBR250R and loved it but after riding a couple of my friends 500cc and 600cc bikes I knew it was time to sell my beloved repsol honda. Since selling Ive looked at a few bikes and taken them for test rides. Ive been on two second generation suzuki SV650S's (both in fairly poor condition), a 2012 CBR600RR, and a 2012 Yamaha FZ6R. I really like the looks of the SV650S's and the yamaha FZ6's. Ive yet to ride an FZ6 but of all the bikes I've been on the FZ6R felt the best. Im currently looking into a 2006 Triumph Speed four with 11k miles on it and Im in love with it. Ill be riding it on tuesday to see how it feels. If I like it Im definitely set on getting that bike. Im looking for advice and opinions on what to look for in my first bike with real power. Im also curious as to whether a triumph is a good idea as I know theyre quite unique Im a bit worried about upkeep.

PS I found the SV650S's to be a bit heavy and stiff through the corners, getting the bike to respond did not feel as natural as the FZ6R or CBR600RR. I suspect this is a simple suspension adjustment but its kind of dissuades me from looking further into purchasing that model, although I prefered the low end torque it offered.
:71baldboy:

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I don't know why you would call a Triumph "unique"? There are plenty around, lot's of shops and very popular bikes. That being said you may have issue with the Speed Four. 2006 was the last year for that bike and engine, and it was only around for 6 years I believe. It is the same engine used in the 600TT which was not good for most of the time it was out. It was plagued by mapping issues. They did get it pretty right by the last year but people were very leery of it by then so they canned it. Parts could be an issue but if it's previously been cared for and you pay attention to maintenance, you should be okay.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Help us to help you. What do you really like or dislike about each of those bikes? That will help us narrow in on how to help you. If you can explain your likes and dislikes I bet we can steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum.
Help us to help you. What do you really like or dislike about each of those bikes? That will help us narrow in on how to help you. If you can explain your likes and dislikes I bet we can steer you in the right direction.
Well Ive got a budget of $4000 first of all and dont want a bike with any more than 30k miles. I really liked the fz6r's handling. When I rode it everything felt natural despite the fact that it was the first 600 I jumped on. Through the corners I could tell the bike wanted to lean more than my 250 ever did but I wasnt uncomfortable leaning aggressively with the bike. It had lowered handlebars and was different from the upright riding position I deal with on the CBR250R. The amount of power it had felt fun but not intimidating. The weight of the bike was a little heavy but not out of hand.

The things I particularly didnt like I found in the SV650's. Brakes were horrible on one and fine on the other(I know this is not the bike but the parts.) It was definitely heavy for me and when taking it through corners I felt like I really had to handle the bike carefully. Im not sure why this is, it could be that I dont weigh much (140lbs) or that its a taller bike (even though im 6'2'') but it felt like it wanted to stay upright. It felt a little quicker at low revs which intimidated me a bit but I'd be lying if I said I didnt enjoy that difference.

The CBR I rode felt very practical but average. Riding position was comfortable, the bike took corners pretty well, and the gear pattern was also comfortable but left something to be desired. Everything about it was just okay, Im sure its a great bike and I know I wouldnt be making a mistake switching to one of them but it didnt put a smile on my face like the FZ6R or SV650.

The last thing I will say is that when riding my 250 and riding a 600 I noticed the 250 does what you want it to pretty much all the time. With a bigger bike you seem to have to compensate a bit and do what the bike "wants you to do" from time to time. The SV650's felt to me like they didnt want to do anything but go in a straight line. The FZ6R's cornering just felt fun and natural. I knew what the bike wanted to do when cornering and was able to ride it in a safe and infatuating manner. The CBR600 felt like the best "fit" in terms of weight, riding position, and practicality but still left something for me to desire.

Im looking for a bike that feels natural to me but still has a subtle hint of agressive enticement (obviously not too much). I dont want something thats got me laying on top of the tank reching for the handlebars and I dont want something thats got me sitting with perfect posture.

I do want something powerful but wont get away from me if I slip up. I seriously dont want a carburetor, thats a deal breaker for the most part. Im also looking for something that isnt a cookie cutter. I dont mind the sport bike look but Im a bit particular about my fairings, and I want something that will turn heads. I like cafe styles, street fighter styles, and naked bodied sport bike looks most of all

-Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
64 Posts
Possibly just slightly out of your budget but the 2007 Triumph Street Triple is a great bike. In my opinion, the 675 triple is the best engine in this capacity range. Handling and brakes are fantastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Possibly just slightly out of your budget but the 2007 Triumph Street Triple is a great bike. In my opinion, the 675 triple is the best engine in this capacity range. Handling and brakes are fantastic.
found an 06 with 11k asking 3800, too good to be true?

checking it out tomorrow so I guess Ill find out first hand

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed...the Street III is an awesome bike. $3800 for an 06 is a great price if it's not been beat. Wish I had mine back but it went with the ex...all in all, I miss the bike.
Its actually a speed IV thats the 06 im looking at although I also just found a 98 speed III 509 with 24k for about $1000 less. Any opinions on the older speed IIIs?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The older Speed III is still a great bike although you are now getting up to the 1000cc mark with close to 110 bhp so it may be a bit much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts