Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're not quite there yet, but today when I went out for about a two hour ride on one of my favorite roads in the area, despite the relatively mild weather (48 degrees) and bright sun, with dry roads and no salt or sand yet, I saw only two bikes in the 100 mile ride. By the time I got home I'll admit that despite heavy gloves and the electric grips set on Max, my hands felt cold. So while I may get to ride a bit more before we have real snow, I think the end of the season is well within sight. It appears that many or most around here have already quit for the year, otherwise why only two bikes on a sunny Sunday from noon to 2 PM? At my age I know that I probably don't have too many riding seasons left in me, so having to take a winter break of 4 months or so really bothers me, but the reality is that I am probably not moving from this house in the foreseeable future. The one positive aspect of putting the bike away for the winter is that super excitement when Spring arrives and I can take the bike out for that first crisp ride. At 75 years old there's not much anymore that gets me really feeling as excited as a kid on Christmas morning, but this is one of those things. The other excitement each Spring now is the testing of myself to see if I am still up to managing a 900 pound plus bike. So far so good, but one of these days it will be time to get triked, or buy a much lighter bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The battery stopped me from riding this afternoon. Have to admit this battery was a tough one as it is the original from when I got the bake in Jul of 03 -- that's right I said 03, so I guess the battery tender did it's job along with the battery being exceptionally good :grin:

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
The season is ending all across the country.
My club had a ride scheduled for this morning. The temperature was 40, which I can deal with. But the wind was howling like hell !!
Nobody could deal with that.
Ride cancelled. Dammit.
Probably not many more riding opportunities left this year.

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
Everyone has their own endurance ability for cold temps. 45 to 50 is usually my limit. Hasn;'t really changed much over the years. I ride for pleasure, wearing heavy gear just to see how much I can take is not enjoyable for me.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
I started riding in the beginning of September and it was mostly very warm and humid all month but I never really went out in real traffic. The last couple weeks I have gotten much more comfortable riding out in traffic and even going to work but now the weather has dropped to the 40s and that's pretty damn cold for me. I'll probably ride to work tomorrow but I don't have a proper cold-weather riding jacket. I'll have to wear a heavy hoody & heavier coat over the summer riding jacket I bought.

Hopefully what little skill I've attained won't degrade too badly over the next few months :(

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
The battery stopped me from riding this afternoon. Have to admit this battery was a tough one as it is the original from when I got the bake in Jul of 03 -- that's right I said 03, so I guess the battery tender did it's job along with the battery being exceptionally good :grin:
That's amazing. Even darn hard to believe. But if I believe 11 years, and I do, I have to believe 15. It is proof tenders work. I would think sulfites would have done their damage somewhere along the line. Did you add anything to the acid? There is a product that claims to extend battery life and some say Epson salt works. I've been afraid to try either one. Or was it a AGM battery?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been using the same Battery Tender Plus (the smart one that works on all styles of batteries) on wet acid and AGM batteries in my lawn mowers, cars and motorcycles over the last 15+ years. Each battery has a "pigtail" on it so that I can rotate the extension cord from the Battery Tender to it as needed. This little $50 device has paid for itself in the extended life of all my batteries. Just plug it in and forget about it unless you need to move it to the next vehicle. In the winter, I rotate it each week.

During the winter, the only thing I do to my motorcycle for storage is to keep the tank topped off with non-ethanol gas and Sta-Bil. If a warm day pops up, I just unplug the Battery Tender and go. When I get back, I top off the tank from a gas can I keep in the garage and I plug in the Battery Tender. Then I wait for another warm day.

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Yeah, it was downright nasty out there yesterday. I rode to and from work, like you said it wasn't all that cold, I saw 37F but that wind, DAMN it was gusty and turbulent, I know we saw 40 mph gusts at the airport, crossing open areas my F350 work truck was blowing around a lot, it was not a good day to be outside.
My wife went on a group ride with her Indian club, 10 were supposed to go, 3 showed up, they rode to a local Harley dealer and went on a big group charity ride, the event was held but only about 40 bikes went on the 75 mile ride to the pig roast, she said it was really windy and cold and there was actually some snow flurries up in the Poconos yesterday morning.

This morning was cold, clear and close to calm, it was a great 34 degree ride into work, that electric jacket I bought last year sure makes it warmer on the interstate. I did finaly break down and put on my freeze out liners under my work pants, my legs were cold yesterday. I hate putting that on because I have to take it off when I get here but it was time.
So far I'm loving my new commute, it's a little shorter and a lot less stressful going home with 1/10 the traffic.

The season is ending all across the country.
My club had a ride scheduled for this morning. The temperature was 40, which I can deal with. But the wind was howling like hell !!
Nobody could deal with that.
Ride cancelled. Dammit.
Probably not many more riding opportunities left this year.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I'm a persistent woman who doesn't like to back down from a challenge. My three vintage bikes will be put away the first forecast that warrants the city laying salt, however I will have a winter bike with a big windscreen to carry the torch. Currently that is a 150cc Chinese Ruckus, however maybe I can take advantage of the end of season desperation and get a real "beater bike" that could at least ride on the highway and keep up with traffic.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,601 Posts
I'm only about 10 minutes from work now. Coming home from work this morning at 7am, temps around 35, I passed 3 other bikes on the road. Plus one guy on first shift who rode in.
Forecasters keep saying it could be a mild winter with little snow. I think many riders around here aren't putting the bikes away too deep this year. I'm keeping mine in the driveway this winter too (just in case). Covered and protected, but able to ride if weather/roads permit.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
Yup, Riding gear is stored and hunting gear is out.
Stored the Vic last Friday. Duck hunted Saturday and Sunday. Still waiting for the northern birds to start moving through. Hopefully this weeks front will push them south

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My top 3 ride killers:

1. Gusty winds
2. Salt on the road
3. Temps below 40

Nothing is more frustrating than waiting for a decent temp from December-February, then looking outside and seeing a bright sunny day... with 20-40 mph gusts ripping along.

I can usually find a few days here and there, so I don't "winterize" anything, but props to those of you still gearing up on a regular basis over the next few months!

·
A legend in his own mind
2,601 Posts
Some meteorologists are calling for a possibly mild winter, cold but not a lot of snow. Possibly many days above freezing. For that reason I'm not completely storing the bike this winter, it's going to remain in the driveway but a little extra covered. Should I get a chance to ride I can, but still protected if I don't.

Weather has been hard to predict this year, so even the experts say they can't be certain which way it will go, could be mild, could be record setting snow levels. I'm gonna try my best to be ready for whatever comes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, it was around 70 and unusually light winds for Kansas today. I rode my motorcycles some both days. This knowing soon we will have cold weather. Once the road folks put out sand and salt, it is over for me until spring rains wash all that away. Changing oil and prepping them for winter hibernation.

I miss Phoenix sometimes, year round riding. Once they put the salt down, I am done.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Yeah, it was around 70 and unusually light winds for Kansas today. I rode my motorcycles some both days. This knowing soon we will have cold weather. Once the road folks put out sand and salt, it is over for me until spring rains wash all that away. Changing oil and prepping them for winter hibernation.

I miss Phoenix sometimes, year round riding. Once they put the salt down, I am done.
Arizona for the most part is fine but you can have Phoenix.:smile: That place is as bad as Dallas or Los Angeles.:surprise:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Persimmons and the Farmer's Almanac say differently. Lot's of snow. Wolly worms on the other hand perdict a mild winter. Pick your poison.

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
I'm predicting a warm and wet winter in PA, I can live with that. This year has been wet since spring so it just a continuation of the trend, hopefully the cold stays away or we might have issues. Now that I moved out of the hills and into the valley where it's warmer and I actually have a civilized driveway too, I hope to ride all winter unlike last year when I broke my 2 year streak and missed riding in February by 2 days due to a frozen alleyway that I just couldn't get my bike out of.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's amazing. Even darn hard to believe. But if I believe 11 years, and I do, I have to believe 15. It is proof tenders work. I would think sulfites would have done their damage somewhere along the line. Did you add anything to the acid? There is a product that claims to extend battery life and some say Epson salt works. I've been afraid to try either one. Or was it a AGM battery?
The battery was a Yuasa MF YTX12-BS
Great battery now I'm just waiting to have the bucks to get another one. looks like it'll be a few weeks though the budget is very fixed if you know what I mean.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
The battery was a Yuasa MF YTX12-BS

Great battery now I'm just waiting to have the bucks to get another one. looks like it'll be a few weeks though the budget is very fixed if you know what I mean.

So a AGM battery. That might explain a little with the extended battery life. I certainly like them over wet cell batteries. Heck, if you only get a year with the next 3 you will be ahead of the game.

Sent from phone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts