Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just another "style" that is catching on with all of those manufacturers. Most are somewhat lighter than most of the over 1000cc adventure bikes and would suffice for trail riding. Do you want a bike you can get twenty feet up in the air off of a jump? Buy a motocrosser or true enduro bike, the modern Scrambler would be all I would need, I'm too old for that kind of sh#t. And they are being priced (for the most part) reasonably compared to adventure bikes.

·
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That Benelli is hot!!!!:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Yes that Benelli is good looking. I'm with Rebeldog in this, I don't desire to go too high off the ground, an old(or new) scrambler would be all I need off-road.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, mine is a true scrambler, but it is an oddity to be sure.

I grew up with my Father running 'enduros' on converted street bikes. At the end of the day, all the new scramblers are more capable than the old BSAs, Nortons, Triumphs and Hondas that were used for the job 'back in the day'. Mine might be a bit more competent than the other scrambler branded bikes, but at the end of the day, if it's a street bike, that's been modified to do some dirt work, it's a scrambler. Everything else is just semantics.

·
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your Scrambler is absolutely beautiful and looks very functional--is it an MV Augusta or an Aprilia?

I remember when we all used to have to convert our streetbikes to "Scrambler's" because we couldn't afford a Greeves, DKW, Jawa CZ, Maico, Penton, ATK etc-etc.

I first converted my Honda 250 Superhawk, in 1965, by putting a much larger sprocket on the rear and some dirt tires on it and for the time it was fantastic, at least for playing around and I loved the electric starter when I was stuck on a hill! The 305cc Honda Scrambler was something I lusted after but never owned;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks Porky. Not an MV, it's actually a Moto Morini Scrambler 1200... only one I'm aware of that's made it to the states. As scramblers go, she's very competent on the dirt and still rides like stink on the streets. It's a good pairing for my Thunderbird 1700, two very different bikes.

I do like the new movement towards scramblers, both the throwbacks and the newer bikes as it takes bikes back to being do-all machines instead of the very specific task oriented bikes that have been the norm. My father happened to have excellent choice in bikes with a garage full of BSAs and Nortons mostly (the occasional Triumph as well) and I just assumed they came from the factory with knobbies for the longest time.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Um, Thatch, just wondering after looking online Moto Morinis aren't imported here for sale, at least no dealer network. How did you get it registered as a street bike without going through some serious stuff, or did you? Looks good though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
lets just say I went through some 'serious stuff'. She's fully registered and on the road in the US now.

Thanks for the compliment,

·
Registered
121 Posts
I came across the scrambler look when I started getting the bug for an adventure bike. I like the idea of the versatility of the dual-sports, but never quite liked the styling. Scramblers fill that void nicely.

·
Premium Member
8,906 Posts
Scrambler

I rode an old BSA Victor 444. Worst bike I ever rode. Front suspension would brake your thumbs. Get some air and the front wheel slid out of the forks.

My best handling off road bike was a Rickman frame with a 125 Sachs engine.
Started with a Zundapp engine.
Best street legal with plenty of power was my 250 Can Am.
Best in the really tough going, was a TL 250 Honda trials bike, with a bigger seat and tank, and much better / stiffer suspension.

These modern scramblers would be fine for logging roads and such. I would still go for a light weight 250 for serious off road riding. But I probably will not do that anymore.

Unkle Krusty*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts