Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

· Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,344 Posts
Kinda says it all right there doesn't it, a big Harley-Davidson is not exactly a twisty backroad motorcycle. Actually :unsure: I can't even think of a motorcycle that would be any worse for small twisty backroads then an Electra Glide.
You've never ridden behind Retired Guy on his giant Harley through the Pig Trail.:cool::cool::cool:

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,560 Posts
Something tells me I don't Want to ride behind retired guy on his giant Harley through the pig trail :LOL:

... the urge to do a great big excessive speed catwalk when I blow by him would be too great
You would be surprised what these big Harleys can do in the right hands.

• Love
Reactions: Porky

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,560 Posts
Yes I would be very surprised if a big Harley performed any better then a big Harley does. Believe it or not I've seen a few of them. Fast they are not.
Depends on the gonads of the rider. Fast maybe not but you can carve a canyon with the best of them if you know the machine. Been there done that. Couldn’t do it today though. I came to my senses.

· Registered
1 Posts
Not all riders in America. Some of us know they are simply "almost motorcycles".

Reminds me of a Fun Fact.

Wondering how to fix a scooter?
Here you go:
Get yourself a five gallon can of gasoline.
Pour the gasoline all over the scooter.
Light the gasoline/scooter on fire.
Put the fire out with shotgun blasts.
If, or when, you run out of shotgun shells an axe will work nearly as well.
And there you have it... A fixed scooter. :cool:

S F
there's an opened-minded guy!

· Registered
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
125 Posts
While I recovered from back surgery, and nerve damage to my legs, I considered riding on 2 wheels again. I bought a Honda Super Cub, and found I could balance the little guy without a problem. And I really loved riding again.

So, my first instinct was to get another heavy cruiser, like many I've had before. Serious mistake. I could no longer handle the heavy weight.

For the first time in my 2 wheeled life, I had a priority change. The bike had to be light and nimble if I didn't want to drop the beast.

The scooter was fun, but I couldn't do freeway speeds on it. And with my back , (and age) I would be in misery on a sport bike.

After 5 tries, I think I finally got it right, for me. My Kawi is 400lbs (without the converter) and I really appreciate a light and nimble bike, for the first time in my life, after decades of big, heavy cruisers.

Riding is FUN again.

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
The scooter was fun, but I couldn't do freeway speeds on it. And with my back , (and age) I would be in misery on a sport bike.
There certainly are scooters that can do freeway speeds, and in comfort. Consider the Burgman 400 or 650, or even a Honda Silverwing if you can find one. The Vespa 300 can easily do 75 or 80.

Scooters offer the experience of riding a two wheeler, and without a need for a clutch lever and gear lever, something that can be quite appealing if you have arthritis problems in the hands and/or feet. Some of the newer large scooters, such as offered by BMW, have larger than traditional scooter wheels and really are closer to motorcycles than to what we used to think of when the word "scooter" came to mind.

• Helpful

· Registered
125 Posts
There certainly are scooters that can do freeway speeds, and in comfort. Consider the Burgman 400 or 650, or even a Honda Silverwing if you can find one. The Vespa 300 can easily do 75 or 80.

Scooters offer the experience of riding a two wheeler, and without a need for a clutch lever and gear lever, something that can be quite appealing if you have arthritis problems in the hands and/or feet. Some of the newer large scooters, such as offered by BMW, have larger than traditional scooter wheels and really are closer to motorcycles than to what we used to think of when the word "scooter" came to mind.
If I rode a scooter now, I'd feel like a ****. I don't want to feel like a ****.

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
If I rode a scooter now, I'd feel like a *. I don't want to feel like a *.
That’s a very sad statement. Be sure enough of your manhood that it is not threatened by what you ride.

· Registered
125 Posts
That’s a very sad statement. Be sure enough of your manhood that it is not threatened by what you ride.
I don't want to go off topic again, but, to be honest, my manhood is pretty secure. Its just the thought of one man with another man's wiener in his mouth (or worse!) kinda makes me hurl.
Then there's the biblical angle.
But, after all that, as long as they don't try to bugger me, I'm fine with just leaving them alone.
No hate, just some disgust.

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
And what does any of that have to do with riding a scooter? Seems pretty bizarre.

Reactions: RogerC60
61 - 80 of 101 Posts