Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 Honda Melody delux 2 its as new and done just 5.000 miles i love it nice to cruise round the country lanes here never thought id like scooters after owning Triumph Bonnevilles. Manx nortons, vincents, 750 honda four, Triumph T110, Tr6, Tiger 100, Bsa gold star, and many others including a Brough superior, Indian Chief, and others.......

·
8,606 Posts
I absolutely love to ride scooters, especially on the beautiful country roads that wind through the heartland of the Ozarks. I live 12 miles from town in the 'country,' and a left turn out of my driveway and a nice ride South, puts me into Northwest Arkansas, with some of the nicest and curvaceous roads around. This is perfect Scooter country.:p

I currently have a 2005 Burgman 650 and a 2012 Burgman 650 Executive and the little 2012 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster and believe it or not, the scooters are more fun:wink:

Past Scoots are: 2002 Yamaha Zuma 50cc, 2 stroke, 2003 Honda Reflex 250 ABS, 2003 Suzuki Burgman 650, 2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500, a 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650, a 2009 Yamaha T-max 500, Two 2010 Yamaha Zuma 125's and a 2013 Kymco Exciting 500RI ABS.:)

I would love to ride a Maxi-scooter in GB, Scotland and Ireland and in Austria. I am German-Scottish Heritage and Lord willing may someday make the trip:icon_cool:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
On The Road Again!
3,845 Posts
I'm with you on this. On the backroads around here, I love riding my Honda Trail 90. It's perfect for the tight twisties. Not very fast, but it doesn't have to be. It's easy to handle since the bike weighs less than I do.
You know the old saying, "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow.".

·
Registered
943 Posts
Nuther vote for variety!

My 'normal ride' and highway bike is a 2002 Harley with a sidecar but to jump on my 1967 Honda Dream and putter around the dirt roads is a lot of fun and a completely different experience. I also have a 1962 Honda 50 and once I have done a bit of mechanical restoration I am looking forward to getting it down the forest trail - it is light enough to push out of the mud or turn around in a small space LOL!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I've never owned one but I worked in a shop that also sold them, and we test drove every scooter before it was sold. I always felt like I was going to fall frontwards over the handlebars if I hit a pot hole, but it was fun nonetheless. Also, some of them had some interesting features such as one with a shifter that worked by twisting the left hand hand grip and other different things. That was a lot of fun. We also had a test area in an industrial area that had a small grassy hill that was perfect for trying to jump them.

My only regret is I never got a picture of myself riding a pink or baby blue scooter with air under both tires.

·
8,606 Posts
Wade, the T-max impresses with it's quick acceleration, torque and fairly high top speed of 105 mph+-, with my fat arse on it. Only my Burgman @ 112+ mph is faster. However, the difference is in the comparison of the overall riding experience and here's how I've described it:

The T-Max, having race spec sourced front brakes on real-triple tree front forks handles better than really anything I've ever rode in the curves. Anything! It has a tight feel to it and along with the low center of gravity and lots of ground clearance, it's untouchable in the mountains. It is the Corvette of Maxi-scooters.

The Burgman 650 does everything well with lots of COMFORT, that really enhances the experience. More room, better ergonomics, smoother and faster in a straight line and no slouch in the mountains either. It is the Cadillac of Maxi-scooters. It also has the electronic gearbox ratio splitter that gives manual control over 6 speeds, where it can be left in any gear desired which is good for the mountains. I really never use it.

Hope this helps.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Wade, the T-max impresses with it's quick acceleration, torque and fairly high top speed of 105 mph+-, with my fat arse on it. Only my Burgman @ 112+ mph is faster. However, the difference is in the comparison of the overall riding experience and here's how I've described it:

The T-Max, having race spec sourced front brakes on real-triple tree front forks handles better than really anything I've ever rode in the curves. Anything! It has a tight feel to it and along with the low center of gravity and lots of ground clearance, it's untouchable in the mountains. It is the Corvette of Maxi-scooters.

The Burgman 650 does everything well with lots of COMFORT, that really enhances the experience. More room, better ergonomics, smoother and faster in a straight line and no slouch in the mountains either. It is the Cadillac of Maxi-scooters. It also has the electronic gearbox ratio splitter that gives manual control over 6 speeds, where it can be left in any gear desired which is good for the mountains. I really never use it.

Hope this helps.

what? 112mph? what's your eta on that thing? that thing has balls! I can take my xs1100 up to the ton then but that's when clutch springs give.

·
8,606 Posts
A good running XS1100 will hit the Ton in a couple of hundred yards easily. I had a new one in 1981 and it was at the time considered one of the most powerful on the road.

It had a Windjammer 2 with lowers. It was the silver metallic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just changed from a 2004 Burgman 400 to a 2015 v star 250 my first manual bike.

I find manual is better for back country roads and automatic is better for the city.

I find the city has way to many stop lights and stop signs I just get the bike up to speed and it's time to slow down and down shift agian but the bigger wheels are so much better for wind.

I live in the city but if I go for about 100km I can get to the nice back country roads that I like last week when I had my burgman on the road I almost hit a young deer scary didn't think my breaks were going to work.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I rode an Aprilla one time , I think a 350?. I have to say it was shoot. Easily would run 70 with some left. Very agile.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personally I think scooters are more practical than fun. My opinion is smaller is better. 49cc scooters are cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, cheap insurance, tax, easy to ride between lanes full of cars, and so on.

G

·
Love my scooter. Have almost 3k miles on it this season... which isn't bad for not being able to take it on the highway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts