Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm currently vacationing with Pam on Ila blue hair is (that's Mujeres, SIRI) off the coast of Cancun. It's either scooter heaven or scooter hell depending on how you look at it. The vast majority of residents and tourists drive either golf carts or scooters around the island. The island is perhaps 7 miles long with no more than 20 or 30 roads in total. Sadly, Bicycles are no longer in favor among the touristas many of whom clearly need a more exercise

There are literally thousands of 50 cc scooters although there are a fair number of 125's and a few motorcycles on the island. We spotted numerous Honda Rebel's and one big Vulcan or other Harley Davidson knock off. Most are badly corroded and look terrible

Interestingly enough I didn't see any of the ultracheap Chinese scooters that have decimated the Lower end of the lower end of the scooter market in USA
I am Magent most of these Japanese scooters however are made in Thailand or China

There are dozens of tiny motorcycle repair places scooter repair places I even saw a place that seemed to be nothing but a tire shop.

I also saw what seem to be a police impound lot which had thousands of scooters perhaps abandoned in it I guess you want to go to the police auction to get a scooter

Yamaha's and Hondas predominate there are dealerships for both bikes here on the island Tthey also sell some Italian scooters at the grocery store. I could purchase 125 mL Yamaha for about $1500 to (20,999 pesos)
I am extremely tempted to buy a scooter and ride it all the way from Cancun back to Phoenix but I don't know if I can get it across the border because it won't meet US Emissions

Scooters live a hard life here because of the salt air and sandwich makes them all look 30 years old even if they're only a few. I'm really not sure how you could preserve the bike against the onslaught

Pam and I rented scooters yesterday it was her first real experience driving a scooter in traffic on the roads with other scooters golf carts cars trucks and everything she did just fantastic

I kept emphasizing her to look up and out in the distance and not right in front of her tire or down. She did a very good job balancing even over the islands hundreds of speed bumps . Almost every sport that requires balance demands that you look up and out at the horizon and not down at your feet your tire or short distance in front of you if you turn your head hard motorcycle automatically turn itself. It's trusting that this will all happen automatically that is difficult. Right now it's about constantly reminding her never to forget to put her feet down when she stops. I guess everybody has to forget at least once

I think the only thing more emotionally challenging than learning to ride a motorcycle or scooter is trying to teach someone you care about. Sooner or later they have to fall down or make a mistake that's part of learning .

Pam's was ramming me at a stoplight when we started to go and then had to stop again because the golf cart in front of us stopped fortunately nobody was hurt in the scooter only suffered minor abrasions similar to those it already had

I am however getting very gun shy about stopping at stop signs and stoplights. Lol

We heard that Albuquerque had over 200 wrecks on black ice and that I-40 had been closed for more than a day so were extremely grateful to be down here in the beautiful warmth of the Gulf of Mexico. Pam found us a very good deal on an all inclusive resort sometimes the Internet works sometimes it doesn't The employees are all very friendly and fantastic but there doesn't seem to be any management to ensure the quality of everything from food to repair requests made to the rooms. Sometimes you get three fresh towel sometimes you only get two. sometimes you get three fresh towel sometimes you only get two A genuine smile and a shrug is the most common reply to any requests or complaint

If I decide to abandon my airline ticket and buy a scooter to ride back I'm sure I'll have more stories to tell in the meantime Merry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
GET THE HELL OFF MY ISLAND! It is 4 miles long and 1/2 mile wide at it's widest. Watch out for sand on the road especially on the south end of the island. Which resort are you staying at?

Real men stay out on the economy.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mia Reef

Next time I think I'll just bring a sleeping bag and stay on/under one of the many derelict boats. GF might not approve...

Another note the things they pass off as helmets down here don't appear to offer a whole lot of protection.

·
14,296 Posts
Not the first time I have seen that there. By the way you probably should get plenty of rest. Tomorrow night should be a big party in the town square. Set up will start early but the party should last all night and possibly last to after sunrise.

Lots of people ride down to Punta Sur (the south end with all the sculptures) to watch the sunrise. It is the first Place in Mexico to greet the sun and supposed to bring you luck and prosperity in the New Year.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The island is a whopping 7km long.

Which means you could walk end to end in what, 2 hours?

Instead of running some trolleys, issuing a limited # of taxi permits...

The place is absolutely overrun with mopeds, scooters, motorcycles, red taxis, and golf carts.

Its an absolute perfect example of the destruction internal combustion engines can do to an island paradise. And the people who live and go there to relax.

Oh sure, with the non-stop ocean breezes, air pollution isn't a problem. It's just what Isla Mujeres COULD be...without 5000+ golf carts, scooters, etc. Quiet. Peaceful. Relaxed.

I'm thinkin' about Catalina, perhaps...

Instead... there's a "I gotta pass" mentality even amongst the taxi drivers...so they can get to the other end of the island, what...60 seconds sooner.

If you slow down for an instant in your golf cart a half dozen scooters will attempt to pass you on the right, left, or both sides simultaneously. Kinda makes slowing to look for something or turn out....challenging.

I don't know whether to blame caffeine or gasoline for the way people drive today, even on a 7 km island.

Full disclosure: We rented both a golf cart and scooters AND a 3-wheeled Panther "ScootCoupe" during our visit. (If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em?)

But where does it end? An electric scooter or hoverboard to go out and check the mailbox. Conveyer belts from the front desk to the hotel rooms (and buffett!) so tourists don't have to walk more than a few feet?

I'll grant you, I saw families of 3 and 4 riding mopeds... people hauling 100# propane cylinders, using mopeds for the same things most of us use cars for...

·
14,296 Posts
You forgot the dog Wade, riding on the scooter with the family. The most I have ever seen on a scooter there was five humans and a dog. Infant in mother's arms riding on the pinion, dad driving, 2 kids standing on the floor board, and the dog was in a basket on the handlebars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bangkok

Nah. Have you ever been to Bangkok []? :biggrin:
Nah. Did you ever ride as a passenger on a motorcycle-taxi in Bangkok?

Offer to double the fare if we could switch positions was flatly rejected. If one of us had to be scared while riding, I guess it was his preference it be me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts