Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mostly for my wife I recently bought a Honda PCX150 scooter, while of course keeping my Goldwing. Most days that I go out for a ride (its nice being retired!) I take the Goldwing, like yesterday when I did a 200 mile ride on some nice roads. But a few times lately I have taken the scooter out instead, keeping to roads with no more than a 55 mph posted speed. Riding this scooter is quite a different experience from riding a motorcycle, and the fun factor is sky high. I remember once reading that riding a slow motorcycle fast is a lot more fun that riding a fast motorcycle slow, and I guess the same holds for the scooter. Top speed is about 60, and even that takes a while to get to. But the simplicity of riding a twist and go scooter, the ease with which it turns and stops, is just a real treat. The other day when I filled up the scooter at a gas station (I've only done this once so far; the PCX gets about 100 mpg) a fellow scooterist came to look at my scoot, saying he rides a Vespa 300cc scooter. He told me he has a full dress tourer as well, but lately always picks the scooter for a fun ride.

I'm not about to get rid of my motorcycle, and I don't think a scooter (unless it is a maxi scooter capable of Interstate highway speeds) could replace a motorcycle, but in its own right it really is fun. Several motorcycles waved at me, probably not aware I was on a scooter until they were passing me. If you've never ridden a scooter, the new ones now have much larger tires than the 12 inch wheels that they had a few years ago. And while you might think you will miss the shifting, its surprising how easy it is to get used to the convenience of just twisting and going, and of having both brakes controlled with hand levers.

Once my wife starts to ride regularly, and gets her license, I expect I won't have as many chances to ride the PCX as I do now, so I'm enjoying it for all its worth. Give it a try, you might surprise yourself.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I agree, scooters are a lot of fun. Its a different kind of fun compared to a full sized bike, that probably why we enjoy them so much.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The only one's that scoff at scooters are the one's that haven't ridden one. Although my Vespa is a kick in the pants, I really like my Vespa Moped. It's great for buzzing up town for a bottle of Vodka or whatever.

·
American Legion Rider
25,918 Posts
I've never understood the almost hostile attitude motorcycle riders have for scooter riders. It just never made sense to me. They face the same dangers as the supposed elite group with speeders, left hand turners and textexters. In fact maybe even more so since they have in the past at least been ridden mostly in congested cities. I give them the respect we all want. Can anyone tell me why they are looked down on so much? I'd honestly like to know. Maybe the engine size??? Maybe I'm seeing it wrong and they are not scorned like I think I see.:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mostly for my wife I recently bought a Honda PCX150 scooter, while of course keeping my Goldwing. Most days that I go out for a ride (its nice being retired!) I take the Goldwing, like yesterday when I did a 200 mile ride on some nice roads. But a few times lately I have taken the scooter out instead, keeping to roads with no more than a 55 mph posted speed. Riding this scooter is quite a different experience from riding a motorcycle, and the fun factor is sky high. I remember once reading that riding a slow motorcycle fast is a lot more fun that riding a fast motorcycle slow, and I guess the same holds for the scooter. Top speed is about 60, and even that takes a while to get to. But the simplicity of riding a twist and go scooter, the ease with which it turns and stops, is just a real treat. The other day when I filled up the scooter at a gas station (I've only done this once so far; the PCX gets about 100 mpg) a fellow scooterist came to look at my scoot, saying he rides a Vespa 300cc scooter. He told me he has a full dress tourer as well, but lately always picks the scooter for a fun ride.

I'm not about to get rid of my motorcycle, and I don't think a scooter (unless it is a maxi scooter capable of Interstate highway speeds) could replace a motorcycle, but in its own right it really is fun. Several motorcycles waved at me, probably not aware I was on a scooter until they were passing me. If you've never ridden a scooter, the new ones now have much larger tires than the 12 inch wheels that they had a few years ago. And while you might think you will miss the shifting, its surprising how easy it is to get used to the convenience of just twisting and going, and of having both brakes controlled with hand levers.

Once my wife starts to ride regularly, and gets her license, I expect I won't have as many chances to ride the PCX as I do now, so I'm enjoying it for all its worth. Give it a try, you might surprise yourself.
If you've ever seen a bunch of kids flying around the place on a bunch of scooters in those European cities you will know just how crazy that they are. No helmets or anything. Really would remind you of a horde of locusts.I know that you're not in that category, but scooters look like crazy fun. Underline crazy ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts