Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Fresh Meat
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new rider here. I want to buy a tu250x. In the
Boston area new tu's list for $4,400. A Colorado Dealer, funcentercycles, for a new 2012 tu for $3.000.

Add $450 for shipping and I'm still ahead a grand. I suspect a bait-and-switch but I haven't contacted the dealer yet.

Can anyone shed some light on this? 2012's inferior in some way? This dealer OK?? What else could I be missing?

Thanks

Gramps

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
You could check online reviews of the dealership, and make sure it is actually the dealer you are talking to and not someone in Nigeria. Call their listed number to verify.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I looked at the site and seen a 2011 for $2500, but not the 2012...it has (cons) after it, I'm assuming that means it's a consignment sale?

·
Fresh Meat
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm new to the forum so I can't post a link. Just add 3W's dot funcentercycles dot com the the beginging of this

/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=17639545&Brand=35&Type=1787&fpg=1

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
ok, to help out a little, here is the link you provided http://www.funcentercycles.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=17639545&Brand=35&Typ e=1787&fpg=1

and the one I found on the site (I just looked in the inventory, so I missed that one) http://www.funcentercycles.com/2011SuzukiSUZUKI-TU-250X-CONS-inventory.htm?id=468093&used=1&vin=JSINJ4CA2B2101220

I would call or email the dealership and talk to someone there about the bike, the site looks legit but I don't live near there, maybe someone here does and can stop by and look at it for you....if it is a legit deal, make sure the price is out the door....a lot of dealers advertise a price, then add prep, paperwork ect. ect. as for the shipping, are you sure of that price? how far do you live from there? anyway you can go get it yourself with a trailer? keep us informed of any progress

·
Fresh Meat
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
may buy it

Thanks for looking at it for me. I spoke with them and asked the out the door as you suggested. They confirm 3 grand and that is brand new. If shipping is much more than 400 (I'm in Boston area) it won't be worth it.

Kelly bb puts trade in at 2,025 and retail used excellent condition at 3 grand.

I'm wondering why so many new 2012's are available (posted on cycletrader).

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
That's what I paid for my TUX back in February, though it was from a local dealer. $450 seems a bit low for shipping from CO to MA.
I don't know, l live in Seattle and have gotten shipping quotes from all over the east coast. It is usually somewhere in the $600 neighborhood. I would imagine Seattle is a solid 1000 miles further than Colorado.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Thanks for looking at it for me. I spoke with them and asked the out the door as you suggested. They confirm 3 grand and that is brand new. If shipping is much more than 400 (I'm in Boston area) it won't be worth it.

Kelly bb puts trade in at 2,025 and retail used excellent condition at 3 grand.

I'm wondering why so many new 2012's are available (posted on cycletrader).
ok, for the first part, if you can afford it.....eh, I would still look closer to home...as for the part in bold a lot of people (myself included) won't fit on a 250 lol...seriously though, I have no idea why it happens, but some bikes just don't sell well....

before making any purchase though, make sure of your shipping prices...the bike will need to be crated up (I think) so either the shipper (they charge as far as I know for it) or the dealer will need to do that (may cost extra also) I've never shipped a bike, so I may be way off though....good luck :71baldboy:

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't know, l live in Seattle and have gotten shipping quotes from all over the east coast. It is usually somewhere in the $600 neighborhood. I would imagine Seattle is a solid 1000 miles further than Colorado.
That was not my experience. The quotes I got for $600 were usually in the next state over. If you went more than a couple states over, it was more like $800 or more and typically they'd tack on some fees like a fuel surcharge and whatnot.

UShip, which was usually the lowest and would say like $400 on eBay, but when you actually set up the auction for people to bid on, the offers I got were much higher. Of course, I'm not an expert in the matter and could have been going about it all wrong.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Hi, new rider here. I want to buy a tu250x. In the
Boston area new tu's list for $4,400. A Colorado Dealer, funcentercycles, for a new 2012 tu for $3.000.
Hey Gramps, I'm right down the road from Fun Center.

My opinion is that Fun Center is totally incompetent. I can't say, however, that they are dishonest.

Send me a PM or email for my phone # if you need someone at this end to look over the bike, whatever.

Wade

·
Fresh Meat
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah well the dealer is closed till tue so I'll wait and see what the grand total is. Problem is I've got the fever to be riding a motorcycle. I caught the fever over the past 2 weeks riding a buddy scooter. What a blast. I'd never been on a powered 2-wheeler before (I'm 62). I love the maneuverability of the scooter screwing around on unpaved (and paved) roads.

·
Fresh Meat
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, wadenelson you've made my day. I would love to have some knowledgeable eyes on that bike! Will try to figure out sending a PM

·
American Legion Rider
18,508 Posts
COOL! I love it when someone here jumps in and helps. Great group.:thumbsup:

·
Fresh Meat
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well wadenelson is the guy. He's offered to look at the bike for me. Can't do better than that.

thanks to all who have chimed in on my education. Great forum.

I'll update

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
Thats a great price for a new motorcycle. I always liked the TUs. They always catch my eye on the road. Sad to see they're not more popular and need to discount them. I guess its the "go big or go home" thing these days.:frown:
Heck, for $3000 I would be tempted to get one myself. If they offered one with a 500 twin for a few more dollars I'd have one already. They look like a blast to ride.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts