Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Nightfly
4,240 Posts
Wel, the thing is Johnny, from what I saw is they, HD, were planning all kinds of stuff. Scooters. Electric bicycles. I saw somewhere the previous CEO was talking there would be over 100 new models from them in the future. Huh?
Hey, I'm all for looking ahead.
But that has never been The Motherships strong suit.
They can't build a sport bike. They can't build a dirt bike. They can't build a golf cart. That will sell enough to turn a profit anyway.
That's just the way they are.
Stick with what they do well. They have made billionaires out of those in the upper levels of management/ownership. There is a following like no other for their product. If they need to scale back, so be it.
I'm in agreement with you Motogrady but I think there is an intangible that many don't take into consideration. Exclusivity... When a company is building millions or even hundred of thousands of motorcycles there is nothing special about those bikes. Anyone with a few bucks can go to the local Honda dealer and pick up one of their latest cookie cutter bikes. Ferrari manages to maintain their exclusivity and their price point by not selling a hundred thousand of their cars. I think they are around the 10k mark in total sales. Many people are willing to buy something that everyone doesn't own nor can afford to purchase. Honda and the rest of the Japanese manufactures make, for the most part, a quality product, just nothing special about them. And I understand that is not for everyone.

As for Harley sales, the local Harley dealership is doing great. salesmen are busy and say a lot of younger guys are coming in and are very interested and also are buying. I'm sure things are different in other parts of the country but to say Harley is on its way out is just a little too soon to close that door.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wel, the thing is Johnny, from what I saw is they, HD, were planning all kinds of stuff. Scooters. Electric bicycles. I saw somewhere the previous CEO was talking there would be over 100 new models from them in the future.
The guy who got fired said that?

·
Nightfly
4,240 Posts
Whether he was fired, stepped down or was terminated, Matt Levatich is no longer CEO. Time will tell how the new guy pans our.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
207 Posts
Ya. I saw that about a week ago. I can't remember where. But I remember thinking, holy crap, that guy was off the rails......
I think it was 100 new models within 10 years. That never sounded very realistic to me.

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
You need to find a new color for your font. Terribly difficult to discern...
You can temporarily switch to dark mode TR. It stands out then. But yes, some colors on a white background are very difficult to see. Yellow and some oranges are the near the top but imagine it you were in dark mode and used white as a text color since it would really stand out good in that mode, that would be the worst case. Reds, blues and greens are all mostly good until you get into the very dark colors like violet on a dark mode screen. Everyone needs to be aware of this if you use the font color attribute. Remember folks may be seeing your text in dark or light mode so choose your color carefully.

·
Nightfly
4,240 Posts
Thanks for the info Larry. I have tried the dark mode but prefer the white background. That was the only time a font color has been a problem for me. The post I tend to read are most always written with black ink so to speak. But thanks for the info..

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
206 Posts
Thanks for the info Larry. I have tried the dark mode but prefer the white background. That was the only time a font color has been a problem for me. The post I tend to read are most always written with black ink so to speak. But thanks for the info..
Ya, I'm running dark mode. The yellow really stands out then.
This place is almost like a candy store. Every time I come here I try another fearure😀

·
Registered
613 Posts
Stick with what they do well. They have made billionaires out of those in the upper levels of management/ownership. There is a following like no other for their product. If they need to scale back, so be it.
From this article it looks like top management at HD has been reading your posts and taking notes:

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
206 Posts
From this article it looks like top management at HD has been reading your posts and taking notes:

Well, that's how they turned it around back in the 80s.
Anyone remember the AMF days?

They had become a diverse company. Owned by a group of suits that looked at life thru a Barron's magazine.

They made bowling balls. They made bowling equipment. They made golf carts. They were getting into dirt bikes. They even had a factory Motocross team on the AMA circuit. All the while cultivating the reputation of leaking oil like a sieve.

Then, when they were on the verge of bankruptcy, willieG, a grandson of one of the founding fathers of the company, got some investors together and bought it.

Immediately, the golf cart thing was sold. Same with the bowling ball stuff. The dirt bike thing, shut down. They went to belt drive, got on the oil leaking thing, started selling the clothing line, and mainly just big bikes.

And made more money than they knew what to do with.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
91 Posts
Fact: H-D sales are declining, and have been for several years. Also, their core market is old guys, who are now either dying or giving up riding (the Tri-Glide has been a big seller the last few years).

Now, the $64,000 question - is it because young guys can't afford an H-D, is it because big ol' baggers don't appeal to younger riders, is it because younger people just aren't into motorcycles, or is it because H-D doesn't have an entry-level bike to get new riders into the brand?

I don't have the answer.... but the dude running H-D is betting the company's future on making the right choice.

·
Registered
249 Posts
One of the most hideous, repulsive and offensive pieces of garbage to come from any motorcycle manufacturer ever. The look of a demented insect seems to appeal to a certain segment of the motorcycle community of which I have never been a part, nor will I with this new creepy offering. It may serve a purpose of cheap, not to be confused with inexpensive, transportation to the poor Chinese who are flooded with cheap pieces of crap already. I'm a Harley guy and understand their need to make money for their survival. It's just a shame they have chosen to do so in such a demeaning manner. And leaving the Harley worker with nary any involvement i.e. no jobs because of it's Chinese connection. Sad...

I guess most don't remember the Rapido??? Here it is~A true Harley???? If I remember correctly Sears even sold them.

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
Now, the $64,000 question - is it because young guys can't afford an H-D, is it because big ol' baggers don't appeal to younger riders, is it because younger people just aren't into motorcycles, or is it because H-D doesn't have an entry-level bike to get new riders into the brand?
Well I think it all boils down to the price to buy and maintain. It was for and that was almost 50 years ago. I had to work my way up to an HD. I really don't think it's changed except for maybe getting worse with even higher cost to purchase one. Also you have to consider that we now have several generations of folks that grew up playing video games and not much physical activity. I doubt there is anything that stimulate those folks(kids).

·
Registered
91 Posts
I ride with a bunch of old guys, none of whom ride a H-D.... we're the exception. The "kid" in the group is 50 something, Maybe fewer and fewer "oldguys" are buying H-D motorcycles.... not sure. Here's what our group looked like last year:

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
I actually run in two groups. The American Legion group is all old farts like me mostly on HD's but the PGR group is diverse with all ages and just about any bike you can think of.

·
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I can just smell the RICE burning in the picture above!!!!!!!!!! YUM YUM, Poke flied Lice, leal good.:) KIDDING! 3 Harley's, 1 Indian and aside from 5 BMW's, 2 Triumph's, 1 KTM, I Zundapp, 1 Puch, 1 Aprillia, 1 Bultaco, 1 CZ, 2 Ducati's, most all of the total of 88 bikes have been JAP's and a mix of Cruisers types but lots of Crotch Rockets and Dualsport/ Enduro's and Adventure bikes!

I have sat at the "Rock Store,' GOOGLE it, and watched every type and brand of bike in the world either ride by or park for those of us to admire!

For pure unadulterated EYE CANDY, nothing can beat the STURGIS rally, in S. Dakota! LIVE CAM it now!

Sam:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can just smell the RICE burning in the picture above!!!!!!!!!! YUM YUM, Poke flied Lice, leal good.:) KIDDING!...........

Sam:)
You forgot the pasta..... it's the red one on the end (because of all the tomato sauce). He always parks on the end because he doesn't want his Italian masterpiece to be seen in the midst of all that Japanese junk.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts