Registered
2018 HONDA GOLDWING DCT AIRBAG
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A HONDA GOLDWING OWNER WANTS TO SAVE THE HARLEY-DAVIDSON MoCo - MADE IN THE USA

·
On The Road Again!
3,269 Posts
You have posted this video in three different places on the forum.
Once would have been enough.

·
Nightfly
4,230 Posts
I don't know how many times it was posted but he seems to be pushing his own vlog. I wonder if that is even him riding the motorcycle, he definitely wasn't talking while riding, the audio was attached later...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have posted this video in three different places on the forum.
Once would have been enough.
I apologize for the multiple postings. And for the record the audio is done while riding my motorcycle. Hope you enjoyed the video.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how many times it was posted but he seems to be pushing his own vlog. I wonder if that is even him riding the motorcycle, he definitely wasn't talking while riding, the audio was attached later...
I apologize for the multiple posting, However you are incorrect. I am talking while riding. Hope you enjoyed the video.

·
On The Road Again!
3,269 Posts
I know him from one of the Goldwing forums.
His name is Gil, if I remember correctly.
He seems to be a good guy.
Just too many reposts of that video. LOL!!!

P.S. Gil, go to the New Member Introduction section,
say hello, and tell them a bit about yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know him from one of the Goldwing forums.
His name is Gil, if I remember correctly.
He seems to be a good guy.
Just too many reposts of that video. LOL!!!

P.S. Gil, go to the New Member Introduction section,
say hello, and tell them a bit about yourself.
I introduced myself 4 months ago in the New Member Introduction section and would not want to risk another strike for a multiply posting.l;) Now Tobacco Road can eat his words and would do well to learn that most motovloggers talk while riding :) and his claim of "he definitely wasn't talking while riding" is an outright FALSEHOOD. He clearly did not watch the video or knows of my work on the channel. No harm there so all is forgiven....................................

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
90 Posts
It would be a shame to see a 100+ year old company go down the tubes, but H-D has nobody but themselves to blame if it happens. My next-door neighbor used to own the H-D dealership in town, but he could see the writing on the wall and sold out 15 years ago, when Harley sales were crazy hot, and got a bundle for the dealership. That kind of market, with a waiting list to buy a new H-D, and 1 year old bikes selling for as much as (and sometimes more than) new, led to arrogance on the motor company's part. What they failed to notice was that sales to younger buyers were diddly-squat, and that the tide was turning on overall sales...... suddenly, people on the waiting list were cancelling their order. For the last few years, their sales have been in a death spiral as their buyer demographic either gives up riding, or outright dies.

Now, their "Street" series is nothing but a baby Harley cruiser, their electric bike is $35,000 (yikes!!!!), they have no sport bike offering, and their "Adventure" bike is overpriced and crude compared to the others in the market. It's a case of too little, too late.

In the late 70s, though, H-D had the Nova project. It was, at the time, a state-of-the-art bike, aimed squarely at the CB 750 Honda. Unfortunately, the project was killed - one can only wonder what H-D would be like today if it had lived. Here's a link:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like Harleys. I love the way they sound and look. I hope to own one, one day but I don’t agree with bailing them out. I don’t care how long they have been around nor do I care if they are American owned, no business should be bailed out if they make terrible decisions. What really got me with Harley was the price point. This became apparent years ago standing in a half built town home talking to two flooring guys. It was a Saturday and they rode their bikes to the construction site. As I pulled up in the van and got out, I admired the beautiful bikes. I also noticed how very similar they were. One was a Harley and the other was a yellow bike, maybe a Suzuki? Both bikes looked almost identical in every way except paint color and name. I walked in and greeted them and complimented them on their bikes. I also started asking questions, how fast, which handles better, acceleration, braking etc. They both were very similar in all aspects. I asked the Harley owner how much he paid and he said $24,000 and I asked the yellow bike owner how much he paid and he said $12,000. It was at this moment I realized that Harley was way to expensive for their own good. Like I said in the beginning, I love Harley-Davidson and hope to own one myself but it won’t be brand new. JMHO

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
The UK government did not bail out Rolls Royce or Bentley, when they had financial difficulties, partly created by the government. They had minor input with the motorcycle manufacturers, but they folded in the end. Politicians are not the best for running a business. Neither are the unions or the workers. Our system allows us to succeed or fail, It is equal opportunity. Some companies by their actions, deserve to fail.

In the Suzuki shop the other day, was a Triumph, about 1970. I was able to tell the mechanic some of the problems we had with that model bike, back when they were new. UK

·
Registered
334 Posts
It sounds like Harley may have gotten at least part of the message -- I note they plan for what they are calling a hard-wire/rewire and eventually may be
a smaller company, albeit one that still has a global presence. Noting; 700 jobs eliminated worldwide; rather than 100 new models (many entering markets where HD has limited contemporary experience or followers) proposed by the former management (good grief) 30% fewer new motorcycle models; concentrate on its 50 best markets in North America, Europe, and parts of the Asia-Pacific and exit unprofitable international markets; product launches will shift to early in the first quarter; focus on selling more parts, accessories, and merchandise, etc., etc.

There nothing wrong with being a high-end bike seller if the costumer sees the value (Acuras generally aren't market to Celica owners...), but that market is more limited and one would guess you have to do it well. My first bike (actually it was my kid brother's) was an EL and I've ridden a few over the years, but I see no sense in "bail-outs" for poorly run businesses... but this isn't the first time that Harley has "down-sized" to save itself, so i wish them well...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts