Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there :)

Hope you are doing good!

I am new rider from Santa Calra (CA). I don't know if my question sound too silly.. :) Can you please suggest me the best way to protect myself from flies and insects while driving a motorcycle? I am planning for a motorcycle trip to Mt. Shastha during this long weekend (just me). Last time when I went (in car) with my friends, I noticed too many insects on the road. Whenever we took a break, we saw lot of dead insects on the windshield and headlights. I feel bit skeptical to ride in a road filled with insects.

I ride a 2014 Yamaha Bolt. I have a detachable windshield. I will be using it for sure. I am using a half face helmet now. I am planning to buy a full face helmet. Is there anything else I should do?

Please advice! :)

Rajesh

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Not much else you can do. Just keep your mouth closed lol. Short of wrapping yourself in bubblewrap a windshield and helmet is all one can do

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Set the windscreen properly

Full face helmet and windscreen should do fine.
If the windscreen is set to just the right height, you will get a slipstream effect that will carry most insects over your head.
Good luck and enjoy
...and drop a note about how many bugs you kill.
:icon_cool:

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I would suggest that before you go, make sure and put a good coat of polish on your bike, windshield and faceshield. I use Meguiar's Motorcycle Plastic Polish on ours prior to any long trip. We then also carry a bottle of Novus windshield cleaner with us to use every day to clean bugs. The Polish makes your shields easier to clean the bugs off and the Novus not only cleans but reapplies some polish.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I remember seeing a pic somewhere of a guy grinning from ear to ear right before he heads out on his bike.

Two hours later, another ear-to-ear grin, only bugs are just covering his teeth. It was pretty funny!

Would RainX have the same effect on your windshield?

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I wouldn't use Rainex on our bikes. I've "heard" that it will eventually cloud the plastic windshield. I'm not willing to take the chance that it actually will. I've been using the other two for over 10 years now with no ill effects. I used them on our boat windshield also.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've been clobbered by some pretty large insects.
Them suckers can hurt!
I took one in the shoulder that really stung, left a mark for a couple of weeks.

Ever since I started wearing riding gear, they don't make much of an impression, anymore.
Last week, while doing about 75, I got hit in the helmet by something...made a big bang.
Looked at the helmet later and it looked like whatever it was, it was dead and left most of its guts on my helmet.

·
6,496 Posts
Every comment is great!

However, I suggest a medium height pair of boots to cover your ankle so that bugs and rocks don't fly up and hit you there.

In Missouri, about this time of year we have the biblical attack of the locust/ grasshoppers that wait for you to approach on your bike and commit suicide by flying into a riders ankles!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wear a long sleeve, light colored t-shirt, with a tight neck and arm bands and leather gloves too.

If you are allergic to bee stings, carry injectable medicine in case you get stung, which happened to me quite a bit when I lived in southern California.

Have fun and be safe!

Sam:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a lot guys! :) I want to thank every single person who replied to my question.. and thank you so much for all your suggestions and sharing your experience with me here. I even enjoyed few witty comments.. especially the Protein one.. ha ha.. still I am laughing..

I am new to this forum. I feel more welcomed here. And I think this is the best motorcycle forum out there..

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Check your tire pressure and tread. If it's anything like where I live, at the right time of year the mayflies get so bad they have to clean them off the roads. A year or 2 ago they were reported as 4" deep on one of the bridges. Ride safe, have fun.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
Have I mentioned the time I hit a cloud of dragonflies at 70 mph? Not the smaller ones, but hundreds of the huge Chinook helicopter sized ones. Almost knocked me off my bike. I had huge welts all over. Had the visor up on my helmet too.:eek:

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Another good product for cleaning off your faceshield and wind screen is Pledge. You can buy it in the form of disposable wipes. It does not seem to have any negative effect upon the plastic itself. The moistness of the wipes helps a lot with bug residue removal. But protection of your body is more important than protection of your bike.

Years ago when I first started riding I did not want to wear a helmet. That lasted until I was hit in the face by a Junebug at about 60 mph. I thought I had been shot and reached up to my face expecting a ton of blood, and found nothing but a squashed bug and later, a big bruise. I bought my first helmet the next day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I guess I've been lucky, or Arizona doesn't have as many bugs as other places. I've been hit by bugs here and there, and had them dead on my helmet (I wear a full face helmet), I've had them hit my shoulder and sting for about 30 seconds. Not as bad as rocks hitting me though.
Although there was one time that a bug had managed to get inside my helmet while riding, without dying somehow. Got into the vents or something. I had to wait until I was off the freeway to get it out of my helmet, but it bothered me watching the sucker climb around in front of my face.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts