Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have to drive from SF to SD on a saturday to meet some friends down there.
I already did such distance, several time, from paris to southern france on my Fazer 600 and RF600r in 10hours (with stops).

Do you have any advice regarding the road? I was thinking about using the PCH.

For info, I am riding a CB1000r.

·
American Legion Rider
21,079 Posts
When I lived out there the weekend was not the time to use highway 1. During the week not so bad. That was 30 years ago. I can't imagine it has got better. It's a great road but this time of year can have problems with rock slides too that can block the road completely. Highway 5 is best to make the ride as quickly as possible but it is so boring. 101 isn't boring but some towns can get congested. Check with Caltrans before you hit it no matter what just to see if it's open all the way.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
PCH in May

Dress warm, take extra layers! That breeze off the ocean can be COLD! In June we had on everything we took with us & leathers.

I STRONGLY suggest bypassing around LA. At Malibu turn inland, go ride "the Snake" and pop out on the 405. 405 to the OC toll road to Camp Pendleton. Pick up 101 again at Oceanside.

The LA beaches, Doheney, Laguna, Newport, Redondo, Manhattan, ....are bumper to bumper traffic on the weekends, often weekdays as well.

If at all possible plan an overnight at Cambria, near Hearst Castle. The payoff is empty roads in either direction for 2 1/2 hours in the morning.

You're gonna have a fantastic ride.

·
7,440 Posts
Forget that route Tarek unless you want to take a very long time with lots of weekend traffic all of the way there. PCH is beautiful but even on the best days it's a busy route.

Use the Interstate system, get there in a hurry and then enjoy beautiful San Diego and the riding it offers. There are lots of places around there that offer fantastic riding.

I was born in Southern California and lived there for 50 years and know the pacific coast from bottom to top.

Have fun and be careful.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Tarek

IF you have time, Highway 1 along the coast is a great experience. But you should not plan on doing this road quickly. It is one of the most beautiful roads in America! But there are many, many winding curves and your speed will be low. Highway 1 is for enjoyment. I recommend it very much, but if possible I suggest that you give yourself 2 days!!

To get directly from SF to Los Angeles - Freeway 5 works. It is incredibly boring. Noting but miles of straight freeway, mostly flat, the scenery is poor. But it will get you there in the fastest time.

Or the alternative is Freeway 101, which is more interesting than the Freeway 5.

If you want to see the best road, one idea is this. Take Freeway 191 south from SF. Near Salinas, about 8-10 miles north of Salinas, take 156 South which outs you on Highway 1. Highway 1 will take you inland again at Morro Bay, and then into Los Angeles. If you attempt something like this, start very early in the morning. It will be a long ride, but very beautiful!! Be careful with traffic on the winding sections of Hwy 1 near Baja. And do not be surprised if you need to stop for 30 minutes. Often the road has obstructions and is reduced to one lane. So cars must take time to go through the narrow sections. There are workers who stop the traffic. But the section of road on the coastline is very beautiful. The main problem - this takes a long time!!

dT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Guys,

Thanks to everyone for your reply and suggestion. I might go over the I-5 because the trip will happen during memorial week end...

I might take more time on my way back tough and stop in LA for a night. I know the portion from SF to Monterey, and I know how busy it could be on the weekends but I had no idea about the other parts.

Thanks you again for the suggestion!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Tarek ... if you ride I5 on Memorial Day weekend ... GET UP VERY EARLY and beat the traffic back. I would start riding at 5 am from SF, for that weekend. Traffic on I5 during that holiday is worse than HORRIBLE. Don't get caught in it! I5 is also incredibly boring, but it will get you to LA.

dT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts