Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, friends! I'm a newbie both to the site and to the moto game. I recently bought a 2014 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom. I love the machine but now I think I should have gotten something a bit bigger. I knew the 250s I learned on wasn't going to suffice as a first bike. I thought 950 or above would be too much bike for a 5'6" fella like myself. I still have more growing to do with my 650 but I can see that I will soon outgrow it. It's probably all for the best though.

I hope to learn a lot from all the veterans here and pick up plenty of pointers along the way. Heaven knows I have a hundred questions already!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,461 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to riding.
For a nice bike with a low seat, have a look at the one in Critter's avatar. It is a 1300 cc Yamaha 4 cylinder that is a delight to ride. I owned one myself for 5 years and with my 29 inch inseam it never gave me any trouble. I could easily flat foot it and walk all around while on it. It has plenty of power for even an experienced distance rider while not being overpowering or even being peaky in its power band.

·
13,461 Posts
PS. Critter started this year on a VStar650 Custom Silverado :) Great bike, but just wasn't for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone for the warm welcome and recommendations. They will really help in another year or two when I may upgrade.

@Ralphlong- to answer your question, I guess it's that off the line, I just don't feel like as much get-up-and-go as I would like. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to gun it, but just a little more pickup suits me. But I guess the biggest thing for me is that the average freeway speed here in SD is between 75-80 mph. I'm already in 5th by the time I reach 40mph and though the bike has no problem cruising at that 80, it almost feels like the engine is overworking. I'm probably wrong as I still have a lot more learning to do but I should have started with a 950 (that way it could be with me for 5+ years).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey there neighbor! Welcome from Vista, CA :)

I know what you mean about feeling like outgrowing the smaller bikes too soon. If I could afford a new bike every year, then I might have started smaller but I just don't have that kinda scratch. I'm also a big girl at 5'10"/240lbs, so many of the smaller bikes felt like mopeds to me. I went with a kz1000p and took some private lessons (even though I already had my M1) so I can operate the beast without killing myself as I grow into it.

You'll get a ton of great advice on this forum. These guys and gals are awesome. So welcome, once again, and I'll see you on I5 :biggrin:

·
13,461 Posts
Sam that is why I traded the 650, I felt it was working to hard at 65+

Everyone swears they are built to take it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi CT777! I hope to see you out there! :)

Critter- I did read in many places that "they are built to take it" which helped in my choosing this particular bike but que será será, I suppose. Oh well- power aside, I still gotta love my bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I'm new too, Just noticed your username Sam Cro. Lol. I like the show but it's gotten a little bit too crazy and unrealistic for me :p

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I am 5 foot 6 and ride a Harley Electra Glide....no problem....slight problem parking up hill...but try to avoid those situations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Stuf88- After creating my login, I kinda wish I hadn't gone too cliché with my name. Ah well. I have to agree with you... the show has gotten pretty far-fetched. I haven't watched any of season 6 yet though. Fell Behind.

Thanks, Billo. Haven't quite been in a hill parking sitch yet, but I should learn about that. However I did notice that even the slight incline in my driveway is dangerous enough for the bike when trying to park downhill. Not good.

·
Very Famous Person
9,875 Posts
--

So Sam, I guess I'm a little slow or uninformed, but what's with the "Samcro" name? Is it key for something? Why is it cliche'? Hep me, hep me!

--

·
Very Famous Person
9,875 Posts

Thanks, Billo. Haven't quite been in a hill parking sitch yet, but I should learn about that. However I did notice that even the slight incline in my driveway is dangerous enough for the bike when trying to park downhill. Not good.
--

On the matter of parking on a hill, leave it in gear and it won't roll (if that's your problem). In fact, many folks always park in gear, you just have to have your clutch in to start.

Or if you are sideways, just be sure to lean to the high side when stopped.

--

·
Very Famous Person
9,875 Posts
--

How come I'm always the last one to find out anything around here? Who do you think I am, Obama?:biggrin:

--

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Absolutely NOT...you understand nothing is free and aren't using our tax dollars for your golf games and vacations...:) :)

·
Very Famous Person
9,875 Posts
--

Oh, by the way, Moni, you look pretty cute there on your red m.c.

--

1 - 20 of 46 Posts